• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental to Furlough

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One of the my buds over there told me that they need 200 one way or another. He was not sure if they were going to offer early outs or not. Sucks for all hired after Nov. of last year.

With a net loss of 31 aircraft I don't see anymore than 300 furloughs but what do I know? As you can see from my avatar I've been wrong in the past. :nuts:

Airframe reductions only tell part of the story.

The block hour reductions on the remaining aircraft will dictate staffing and thus reductions.

The main line capacity reduction is going to be 9.1% by the end of the year.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/seccapsule/seccapsule.asp?m=f&c=85779&fid=5739905&dc=

So I would suspect that managment will want to try to furlough somewhere around 9.1% of the pilots. That would put the number around 461, which is pretty close to the 450 number that's been floating around.

Cripes, we're so over staffed that scheduling is JUNIOR MANNING in ewr today. We had better start furloughing quick!

JR manning sucks, this whole situation sucks. But.

They've known they were going to furlough since before the last system bid was cancelled. Would you rather the company have hired a hundred more guys this spring so that they could be furloughed in the fall?

Ya, my friend's dad's golfing buddy said he talked to Kelner's gay lover's bowling partner who's wife mentioned to her dog 'fido' that for sure....there was going to be a furlough. I also heard this rumor from a very very very high up individual in the ramper's room in EWR. TOP SECRET.....morons...

Ya, my friend's dad's golfing buddy said he talked to Kelner's gay lover's bowling partner who's wife mentioned to her dog 'fido' that for sure....there was going to be a furlough. I also heard this rumor from a very very very high up individual in the ramper's room in EWR. TOP SECRET.....morons...

So it is true!! Damn it.:laugh:

Well I heard it last night from 2 members of the MEC during the GUM union meeting at the Hilton. Call it a rumor all you want but the MEC is 100% on board with it.

This is what we were told last night. Early out packages/COLAs/etc. to be announced next week. The July bid has been postponed until August. The first round of furloughs (assuming nobody takes an early out/COLA/etc.) would be in September with more in October and November if warranted. GUM base to be reduced in size. The numbers for the GUM base reduction were all over the place ranging from 3-6 captains and 6-12 FOs.

I think they did. The offer was pretty much if you want to get out early, no one's stopping you.

There will be something more offered for pilot early outs (over and above the company wide offer) but don't expect it to be enough to entice anyone to leave early.

The best opportunity to mitigate furloughs is during contract negotiations. (when furloughs are not looming) A mandatory cap on the line production average of 5-10 hours lower than normal when any pilot is on furlough would help significantly. The company probably would not agree to that now and even if they did I doubt it would pass as an LOA right now. That's why it needs to be part of contract so that those who don't care about the furloughs won't shoot it down.

If you're in the bottom 500 at CAL start working a back up plan. Hopefully we can do something to keep that number as low as possible but don't count on it.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back