• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental to Furlough

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The CAL MEC hates age 65. There is going to be a decent early out deal put on the table and the old guys need to take it. Many will. Those who don't need to be treated as scabs with renewed prejudice.

I've let this chap me all day, so now I will respond to it. First, I always like reading your thoughts, and history accounts. I believe your unionist beliefs are very similar to mine, with differences. But this statement can only be covered by 2 circumstances.

First, you are mistaken and don't remember the resolution signed by EVERY member on the MEC currently stating what you've stated, except it most definitely says "WE WANT THE CHANGE". That's a fact. Please look it up, if that was just a simple mistake. If so, no problem, but most definitely CAL ALPA IS FOR AGE65. That groups short sightedness, and selfish move now will cause hundreds to loose their job's for these over 60 guys. Just facts.

Second, if you are indeed sticking up for the MEC, you might be on there or have a close friend on the board. The first furlough that hits the street will start an instant charge for removal of these same individuals for the above reason. SOMEONE WILL TAKE BLAME FOR THEIR ACTIONS. Pushing blame everywhere else except at the exact error, will do NO good. I will gladly lead, or be loudest for this action. It's deplorable for a group to shut out those over 60, and also to F!28ck those F/O's for some arrogant attitude, "It doesn't really pertain to me, I've got a couple more years to decide what I want to do". MORON, where do you think those years are coming from? The F/O you just "took it back" from right in their ass! That shortsighted selfish moronic attitude should be hung or shot to clean the slate, but I'm sure those idiots will continue to try and push blame elsewhere.

We all know that early out will be crap. Why push such dribble again. It will be NOTHING. The Scabs will stay and enjoy their pay for another 5 years at the cost of the true talent hired in the past 5 years who can or would have made the company as strong as it possibly could be. Great job you short sided morons. (if it's not you, fine, please pass that message along to your friend).

First furlough. Furloughs should be in order of over 60's and then start at the bottom. CAL ALPA is definitely PRO 65. No lies. The answer from the brain power explaining C02 wouldn't allow a voting of options is another FARCE.

Enough of this, if it's not you fine. If it is, I hope you rot in hell for your selfishness. Chunky and his sidekick Lynch (who looks like he's at least 350lbs now), will not get the boot deserved, because of your WEAK friends again. All lies. DO SOMETHING, DO ANYTHING. Tell them that!

I've let this chap me all day, so now I will respond to it. First, I always like reading your thoughts, and history accounts. I believe your unionist beliefs are very similar to mine, with differences. But this statement can only be covered by 2 circumstances.

First, you are mistaken and don't remember the resolution signed by EVERY member on the MEC currently stating what you've stated, except it most definitely says "WE WANT THE CHANGE". That's a fact. Please look it up, if that was just a simple mistake. If so, no problem, but most definitely CAL ALPA IS FOR AGE65. That groups short sightedness, and selfish move now will cause hundreds to loose their job's for these over 60 guys. Just facts.

Second, if you are indeed sticking up for the MEC, you might be on there or have a close friend on the board. The first furlough that hits the street will start an instant charge for removal of these same individuals for the above reason. SOMEONE WILL TAKE BLAME FOR THEIR ACTIONS. Pushing blame everywhere else except at the exact error, will do NO good. I will gladly lead, or be loudest for this action. It's deplorable for a group to shut out those over 60, and also to F!28ck those F/O's for some arrogant attitude, "It doesn't really pertain to me, I've got a couple more years to decide what I want to do". MORON, where do you think those years are coming from? The F/O you just "took it back" from right in their ass! That shortsighted selfish moronic attitude should be hung or shot to clean the slate, but I'm sure those idiots will continue to try and push blame elsewhere.

We all know that early out will be crap. Why push such dribble again. It will be NOTHING. The Scabs will stay and enjoy their pay for another 5 years at the cost of the true talent hired in the past 5 years who can or would have made the company as strong as it possibly could be. Great job you short sided morons. (if it's not you, fine, please pass that message along to your friend).

First furlough. Furloughs should be in order of over 60's and then start at the bottom. CAL ALPA is definitely PRO 65. No lies. The answer from the brain power explaining C02 wouldn't allow a voting of options is another FARCE.

Enough of this, if it's not you fine. If it is, I hope you rot in hell for your selfishness. Chunky and his sidekick Lynch (who looks like he's at least 350lbs now), will not get the boot deserved, because of your WEAK friends again. All lies. DO SOMETHING, DO ANYTHING. Tell them that!

Now that was WELL SAID!

Sure, the age 65 rule is causing some real problems for the younger/junior people right now. It sucks and everyone seems to want to hang anyone over 60. You know what though. I bet that the vast majority of the people bitching here would not hesitate to do the same thing. Five more years at top pay in very trying economic times? Don't give me this 'You had your time, time to retire' crap. I have not met one pilot that retired at 60 in the past that didn't say 'I'm not ready yet. I want to keep flying'. The funny thing is that when all these people bitching reach 60 in 20-30 years, I bet not one of them will retire. All will go to 65.

Sure, the age 65 rule is causing some real problems for the younger/junior people right now. It sucks and everyone seems to want to hang anyone over 60. You know what though. I bet that the vast majority of the people bitching here would not hesitate to do the same thing. Five more years at top pay in very trying economic times? Don't give me this 'You had your time, time to retire' crap. I have not met one pilot that retired at 60 in the past that didn't say 'I'm not ready yet. I want to keep flying'. The funny thing is that when all these people bitching reach 60 in 20-30 years, I bet not one of them will retire. All will go to 65.

I hate age 65, they should have planned better! They are screwing those of us that are junior. Hinging their retirement based on the age 60 increase is a load of crap and I dont feel the least bit sorry for any of them.

As someone who may be furloughed in the fall let me tell you that when I'm recalled (if I accept it and havent found something better) there is no way in hell I'm going to 65. I'll be lucky if I make it to 55, past that, its not worth the damage to my health that this industry causes.

Who the hell wants this lifestyle 'till 65? I for one will not go to 65 just because I can. In career number one (USAF) I could've stayed 30 years. But, when its time to go, its time to go. It wasn't fun anymore and I walked out the door just shy of 25 years service.
Funny but we even had some 30 year guys asking for waivers to stay longer. These are also the guys that typically keel over a couple of months after retirement because the job was their whole world.

Career number 2 is rapidly becoming not fun anymore. Perhaps I'll figure out career number 3 in Sept...

I'm not on the MEC and I don't particuliarly want to defend them. I would welcome a public and brutal recall of ALL of them...if they can't mitigate the adversity we face.

I interact with my rep, MEC Chair JP and a few members of the NC as much as anybody who is not in an official capacity. I've done so for at least two years prior to age 65 and we're getting down to crunch time. We have just a few moves left to salvage jobs for the membership. At this moment, an early out package is our best move. I have to tell you: This current group is efforting the early retirement package more than you know! (ant the company is at least partially onboard) I can't imagine we could replace them with another group who will work harder on this. Now down the road, I'm ready to recall all these dipsh!ts if they can't make it work. I'll be ready for CAL to leave ALPA, frankly.

I will look for the exact quote you are speaking of. Was it during Prater's office? I can tell you this as gospel: When the initial ruling allowing instructors over 60 back to the line contrary to 4343 language, your MEC chair activated ALPA legal to fight it tooth and nail (He knew that was going to possibly open a floodgate) and his effort was squelched!! It was squelched by Prater via the FAA. It really pissed off the CAL MEC and that is why I'm saying he was closer to recall than you think.

I like that you're pi$$ed off!! That's cool, keep it up. Make sure to direct that at your rep and the whole MEC. I think that if a fair early out is on the table and old guys don't take it--it should become completely untenable for them to come to work. Because at that point, it will only be because they are senior and because they have zero regard for the rest of us. Period.

Here's the difference: Age 65, 70, 90. 800 or 18 doesn't matter. It's very likely to remain some age as a limit and that will always be arbitrary. What the proponents of age 65 did was to campaign for someone else's job!! Big difference. This rule was changed to not only pull the ladder up, but to also exclude those over 60. This was an incremental, opportunistic change and it's much bigger than simply the age you retire at. It takes a uniquely sinister and dispicable sort of person to actively campaign for another's job, and this generation of immenint retirees has no shortage of them.

Thanks man. The resolution was signed by WB, CU, and others. I believe AB and LB also signed it. It sent Tommy to the smoke meeting. It was the resolution specifically for that meeting with Chunky. That's the one showing exactly what I say. I promise it's fact. I don't have it any longer, cause it just pissed me off with such frustration I canned it. Like they deserve after the 1st furlough.

As for the idiot that says we will all work to 65 cause we want to, and would have done the same, I hope your veins lock up and that chunk moves up in to your pea brain. Wonder what that is? How's that chest you "GUMMER"

Latest resources

Back