• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental to Furlough

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Furloughs are no laughing matter. A lot of kids could go hungry and a lot of lives will be very hard. I'm glad that it's such a joke to you.

I'm quite sure it's no joke to BigMeat.

Starbucks offers health benefits to people without a college degree, much less an ATP. What is wrong with this picture?

That's because a Starbucks makes more profit in an hour than your RJ makes all day. :rolleyes:

Look guys, I know the 65 change is an emotional topic. I myself, like many others are being affected by it. This law change did not happen because a bunch of guys coming up on 60 wanted to take junior pilot jobs. This happened as a result of our government and the FAA bringing our retirement age in line with ICAO.

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=8027

So for most of the guys that were coming up on 60, this was a windfall. At a time when so much was given up in concessions, this was an opportunity to make more money before retirement. No one is forcing these guys to fly to 65. If they are sick of the lifestyle and BS that we put up with on a daily basis then by all means retire. Many are deciding not to retire.

I guess my point is this. If we were in the same position as they are, I think most of us would do what they are doing. Yes is sucks for us junior guys, but that's life. Age 65 is here. All the bitching won't change it.

Sure, the age 65 rule is causing some real problems for the younger/junior people right now. It sucks and everyone seems to want to hang anyone over 60. You know what though. I bet that the vast majority of the people bitching here would not hesitate to do the same thing. Five more years at top pay in very trying economic times? Don't give me this 'You had your time, time to retire' crap. I have not met one pilot that retired at 60 in the past that didn't say 'I'm not ready yet. I want to keep flying'. The funny thing is that when all these people bitching reach 60 in 20-30 years, I bet not one of them will retire. All will go to 65.

Reality speaks!

Listen to reality.

I guess my point is this. If we were in the same position as they are, I think most of us would do what they are doing. Yes is sucks for us junior guys, but that's life. Age 65 is here. All the bitching won't change it.

Yet another dose of reality. Hey, my advancement has been curtailed by guys over 60 stayiing on, too. But the law is the law. 60/65. WGAS?

Its reality. Deal with it. Or hit the political trail to change it back. But biatching about it won't do a damn thing.

Sure, some guys are getting a 5 year windfall. However, there are those of us out here that are still planning to exit at 60 or earlier if our individual contract languages allow.

Those, however, as we all know, are flexible too. Whatever scenario exists at retirement time drives each of our decisions.

Villifying individuals because they elect to exercise lawful contractual options comes off as whining, greedy behavior.

...Villifying individuals because they elect to exercise lawful contractual options comes off as whining, greedy behavior.

More like: Gummers electing to exercise lawful contractual options, screwing those below them IS whining (stay outa my seat!) AND greedy behavior.

....can you feel the love?...

What happened to the "unity" at CAL? You can march in uniform till the cows come home....but it is clear we have some internal issues in this so-called "union".....

Unity isn't about marching together....It is about having concern about each other....Clearly we don't really have any concern for each other in ALPA...

....can you feel the love?...

What happened to the "unity" at CAL? You can march in uniform till the cows come home....but it is clear we have some internal issues in this so-called "union".....

Unity isn't about marching together....It is about having concern about each other....Clearly we don't really have any concern for each other in ALPA...

There's unity:
The top third is united in screwing everyone else for their own benefit...
The middle third is united in going happily through life with their heads in the sand...
The bottom third is united in knowing it will get thrown under the bus by the other 2/3rds ...again.

How's that?

Latest resources

Back