Continental to Furlough

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There's unity:
The top third is united in screwing everyone else for their own benefit...
The middle third is united in going happily through life with their heads in the sand...
The bottom third is united in knowing it will get thrown under the bus by the other 2/3rds ...again.

How's that?

That's the truth.....I like it when people tell the truth....You aren't union leadership material however.....

That's the truth.....I like it when people tell the truth....You aren't union leadership material however.....

Your right. I would have to possess exceptional multi-tasking skills.

e.g. To be Union Leadership I would have to figure out a way to piss on the pilot group, convince them its raining, all the while dealing a nice cushy management job to fall into after the next POS is ratified.

Villifying individuals because they elect to exercise lawful contractual options comes off as whining, greedy behavior.

Contractural!? There's nothing contractural about it! Age 65 was seniority aggression outside the collective bargaining process.

If there's a legitimate early out that some pilots choose not to take simply because they happen to be senior they will be rightfully villified.

Look guys, I know the 65 change is an emotional topic. I myself, like many others are being affected by it. This law change did not happen because a bunch of guys coming up on 60 wanted to take junior pilot jobs. This happened as a result of our government and the FAA bringing our retirement age in line with ICAO.

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=8027

So for most of the guys that were coming up on 60, this was a windfall. At a time when so much was given up in concessions, this was an opportunity to make more money before retirement. No one is forcing these guys to fly to 65. If they are sick of the lifestyle and BS that we put up with on a daily basis then by all means retire. Many are deciding not to retire.

I guess my point is this. If we were in the same position as they are, I think most of us would do what they are doing. Yes is sucks for us junior guys, but that's life. Age 65 is here. All the bitching won't change it.

I think your worldview on this issue is too simplistic.

You pose the question: What would we do if we were them? Well, what did they do when they were in our position? Years ago I could go on a 4 day trip (I'm CAL) with a striker and by the end of the trip the guy hadn't stopped bitching about the strike and had accounted for every nickel he lost to replacement workers. He had his scab list out more than his charts! (This was less than ten years ago BTW) Now, fast forward to the present. This dude took my seat, no less outside the CBA, and it's supposed to be perfectly OK?? Right. Account for this past behavior in your reasoning and you'll come to realize those of us marginalized have already proven ourselves more accepting and professional than those who preceed us. It's not improper that as this new rule plays out to assert ourselves and manage the effects in the mean time. If there's a good early out and guys don't take it, it is appropriate to point out to them how they acted when they were marginalized.

I think your worldview on this issue is too simplistic.

You pose the question: What would we do if we were them? Well, what did they do when they were in our position? Years ago I could go on a 4 day trip (I'm CAL) with a striker and by the end of the trip the guy hadn't stopped bitching about the strike and had accounted for every nickel he lost to replacement workers. He had his scab list out more than his charts! (This was less than ten years ago BTW) Now, fast forward to the present. This dude took my seat, no less outside the CBA, and it's supposed to be perfectly OK?? Right. Account for this past behavior in your reasoning and you'll come to realize those of us marginalized have already proven ourselves more accepting and professional than those who preceed us. It's not improper that as this new rule plays out to assert ourselves and manage the effects in the mean time. If there's a good early out and guys don't take it, it is appropriate to point out to them how they acted when they were marginalized.

What one generation accepts, the next embraces. Look at diversity and homosexuality for examples.

Raising the retirement age was the right thing to do but it was the wrong time to do it. At this point, everything in the industry is going down the drain to fuel prices, bankruptcies to quality of life. The icing on the cake was the Age 65 rule. All these guys saying they are not ready to retire is nonsense because 10 years ago they all KNEW they had to hit the door at 60. When the rumblings of a rule change were being heard then everyone had a change of heart. As far as the union goes, from my estimation they are only looking out for the guys at the top of the seniority list. Everyone else might else well be on probation because there isn't anyone looking out for them. For those guys that are getting furloughed at CAL why don't send a thank you card to those "Age 65 guys" that says "Enjoy your stay and I hope you save your money this time."

There's unity:
The top third is united in screwing everyone else for their own benefit...
The middle third is united in going happily through life with their heads in the sand...
The bottom third is united in knowing it will get thrown under the bus by the other 2/3rds ...again.

How's that?

And it works extremely well at CAL. The furlough cycles hit right the time they're finalizing a contract. The B3rd isn't represented because furloughed pilots can't vote. Their pay, benefits, work rules (reserve by and large), are robbed. After the contract is signed the recalls start. Management has kept the overall cost of the contract is low, senior guys kept their retirement and middle guys kept their jobs.

I would not worry too much about what is going to happen.

The best time to be furloughed at CAL is in the first year anyway. That is exactly what I wanted my first year, it cost me more to go to work then.

Either way, if they offer 3-6 month leaves I may jump on that. I am 1100 from bottom. There are a handful of us that will take time off, so hopfullywe will minimize furloughs.

Sebd

Latest resources

Back