Compass air lines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

The other consideration, is how does YOUR company look at seniority resignations. I read that, at more than one airline, when they received the letter of resignation, they would throw it in the trash, and recall the guy anyway. Maybe that would be the case for your airline???

cliff
NBO

I know for a fact that if you are not willing to resign your number it is a deal breaker. I was called for the Compass interview and admitted to DS (HR Rep) that I was surprised that she called. I had checked the "NO" box when it came to giving up my Legacy number. She did try to sell me with the flow through agreement but I have been around long enough to know where the carrot at the end of the stick has been. She understood my concern and let me know that I should reapply if I ever change my mind. Some friends of mine said that I should have gone for it as my present CP's office would just chuck the letter in the garbage. This is what has happened in the past but as we all know there is a new way of thinking (not good) coming out of most CP's offices. So I checked with our furlough coordinator and he said to be sure and get it in writing because our Head CP has been accepting resignation letters at face value and removing the pilots from the seniority list. Got to reduce that list any way they can. I started out in this F***ed up business 15 years and 8000 hrs ago flying the Red Tail Express out of MSP for food stamp wages. I am not going to go back in time and start all over again (Reserve, Commuting Expenses, QOL etc.) for $22k a year and no Legacy number to return to. I will let someone who can afford it do the I Fall's or Hibbing turn this January. If you want to find me this winter just head down to Lowes. It's heated, Never had a ground stop for snow removal, I definitely won't miss my commute so I have to head back to my freezing cold crash pad and listen to my roomates do there best snoring impression of the "Three Tenors", only to get woke up at 3 am by Terrence in scheduling and told I get to do it all over again as they are short FO's and I am JM'd. (For the grammer police, I know that this post is just one big run on sentence but I am kind of raging against the machine here so give me a break). I am home every night to beat the wife and kiss the kid's and dog. (Something like that) for more money. If I get called back then Great, if not then I know that it is time for a change and will happily hand the torch over to the next contestant on "Airline Career Wheel Of Fortune". (Rant Over)
For the poster wanting to know what it takes to get a call my stats are.
1. 9700+ Total Time
2. 5000+ Turbine PIC
3. 700+ and typed in the E-190
4. No letters of Rec. but worked 10 yrs for the Operating Certificate's previous owner.
Best of Luck, It's tough out there.

FWIW, I was never asked to and never did give up my number at the carrier I'm furloughed from when I started at Compass.

Lots of people at Compass still have their senority number at their previous carrier.

I am sure this is true, however in this job market Compass has decided to add this question to the job application. I understand they need to pare down the resume stack. The big difference this time around is that some CP offices are now accepting your letter of resignation. I guess you have to ask yourself if you are willing to put your trust in the CP office not to take action on a signed letter of resignation that you provided them? If you wanted out of your previous job and don't care about your number then go for it. But it sounds like the poster who may get furloughed has the same concerns I do.
Are you willing to play Russian Roulette with your seniority number in this crappy job market? It is definitely an individual decision based on your present circumstances.

I am sure this is true, however in this job market Compass has decided to add this question to the job application. I understand they need to pare down the resume stack. The big difference this time around is that some CP offices are now accepting your letter of resignation. I guess you have to ask yourself if you are willing to put your trust in the CP office not to take action on a signed letter of resignation that you provided them? If you wanted out of your previous job and don't care about your number then go for it. But it sounds like the poster who may get furloughed has the same concerns I do.
Are you willing to play Russian Roulette with your seniority number in this crappy job market? It is definitely an individual decision based on your present circumstances.

Compass doesn't make you resign. The only way your CP would get a letter of resignation is if you sent it.

Compass is a very disorganized company, if at some point someone decided that pilots should resign their seniority number they never took it farther than asking it on the application. Even if someone in the HR department decided they were going to do something about it (they won't) you could simply retract your resignation once sent. That said, I can see why someone would be uncomfortable with this.

The last new hire class for the year started yesterday. Don't know when the first class will start for 2010. Good luck...

Thanks for the Intel Drew. I hope it can make someone's decision a little easier.
Glad to hear it is working out for the Compass crew, I know quite a few of my old compadres landed over there and wish nothing but the best for them. You know who you are if you get the "Terrence" reference.
Like you said, It come down to a comfort level. For me it has a been a long road and I am not willing to go back to where it all started for me. (Literally and Figuratively)
Right now I am going to concentrate on some more schooling to bring me up to date and then look harder at career change. (There is a booming business in my neck of the woods, It's called the US Gov.) That's right I am going to try and go to work for "The Man". As I said before, If I get called back then great, if not then hopefully I have found someplace to move on to, but I am still going to hold on to my number so that for once in this career I feel like the choice is mine, not some one else's.

As much as I try to be an optimist, I don't trust any HR/CP related function at my company. I have heard of the handshake deals to throw away resignations that were forced at other companies, but I just can't afford to take the chance, especially with that flow through possibly turning into a flow back should DL furlough. However, if I stand a good chance of being able to skirt by without being confronted with having to resign, I'll still definitely try to get on. If it ever came down to it, I would just call it quits if that happened.

What is the latest regarding classes? Just got called for an interview.

Actually what is the total story regarding the airline? Expansion/growth? More or changing domiciles with the merger?

Thanks.

Latest resources

Back