Comair to furlough 500??!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PA44Jockey said:
Hey, I've got about 220 below me as well. I Feel your pain. Any number though will affect us all. Home Depot is going to be a tough place to get a job here soon.

Don't worry, Home Depot will take you. They were our biggest employer during the strike. :)

What do all you comair guys have against LOWES. Why does it always have to be Home Depot. Although I am partial to Tony Stewart over Jimmy Johnson. And good luck guys

I.P. Freley said:
"Can't wait to dump the Delta anchor"??

Dumping that "anchor" could very easily lead to Comair ending up in the same boat as Independence. Be careful what you wish for.

What I meant was Delta was dragging us down like an anchor with them.

I know we NEED Delta, like chperplt said.

I think if we're sold and become a non-WO, we will still have to fly for Delta, but atleast we can bid on flying for other airlines and maybe get our own financing to fly some of the E-170s like Fred wanted.

Also if we're sold, we'd be out of bankruptcy right?

So I hope that clears what I meant up.

Oh and ASH, my Captain on a 1 1/2 hour break went to operations tonight and he said everyone was talking about the number being 400 furloughs.

My captain said he was told the chief pilots were talking about it today, and saying it would be 50 pilots a month until 400.

Good luck to everyone,

Jet

Last edited:
I remember more than just a couple Comair visionary pilots bashing CHQ for their mulitple codeshares. Now all of a sudden it's the answer to Comair's problems and they need to dump the wholly owned deal so they can go out and bid for other flying... Good idea but don't you think it's a little too late for that ???

h25b said:
I remember more than just a couple Comair visionary pilots bashing CHQ for their mulitple codeshares. Now all of a sudden it's the answer to Comair's problems and they need to dump the wholly owned deal so they can go out and bid for other flying... Good idea but don't you think it's a little too late for that ???

That CHQ settled for such a rediculous contract to acheive multiple codeshares is the reason most of us are in this situation.

bvt1151 said:
That CHQ settled for such a rediculous contract to acheive multiple codeshares is the reason most of us are in this situation.

Sorry kiddo, don't wish this situation on anyone, but you need to put down the "I hate CHQ" crackpipe and look to the real reason for your problems. We had 3 of the four current codeshares (includint DL) well before the current contract. Since the contract was signed our net growth with DL has been 9 airframes. Try again when you have some facts to back up your rhetoric.

bvt1151 said:

I don't blame the Chautauqua pilots. As I recall, they initially voted down Jets for Jobs for the assault against their contract and seniority it was.

Then Wexford stood up Republic to be staffed by US Airways furloughees and whipsaw the Chautauqua pilots during their contract negotiations. They relented under duress.

www.rjdefense.com

Last edited:
Bull$hit

bvt1151 said:

This all started with the majors and ALPA long ago, they could have had the regional type A/C as there entry platforms but no.

You all better start finding common ground rather than acting like third graders. I wish the Teamsters had a better over all reputation because they could shutdown complete cities if one of their Brother/Sister Unions went out on strike.

I am a real believer that you really can't see the forest because of the trees. You all are going to have to think out of the box or twenty years from now you'll still be wasting time on FlightInfo calling each other names.

Just a thought, have a nice day,

An AVDAD

Lowe's or Home Depot

Actually, Office Depot or Office Max wouldn't be bad. I'm thinking that I know a few things about paper clips and printer cartridges.

And for fast food employment opportunities, it would have to be Wendy's. Can't get enough of their spicy chicken combo and a junior bacon cheeseburger to wash it down...

MM

AVDAD said:
This all started with the majors and ALPA long ago, they could have had the regional type A/C as there entry platforms but no.
You are correct.

You all better start finding common ground rather than acting like third graders. I wish the Teamsters had a better over all reputation because they could shutdown complete cities if one of their Brother/Sister Unions went out on strike.
I am a real believer that you really can't see the forest because of the trees. You all are going to have to think out of the box or twenty years from now you'll still be wasting time on FlightInfo calling each other names.
Just a thought, have a nice day,
An AVDAD

Chautauqua pilots have been granted flying that would have prevented furloughs at Comair immediately after their contract. This raises a very large flag.

A distinction needs to be made between Comair/Delta and CHQ/Delta. Delta refused to fly 50-70 seat aircraft, which is why Comair saw them. Delta furloughed in the larger aircraft, but the Delta pilots refused the aircraft that would have saved their furloughs. Comair pilots have never refused an airframe, but have watched as pilot groups under bid them for the same aircraft. This after a sacrificing three months for a contract that was to help the entire industry. What have CHQ, and now Mesa done? They pat Comair pilots on the back, say nice job...and then yoink, thanks for the flying we'd never have gotten the chance to take from you had you not gone on strike. I'm not entirely convinced that the term "struck flying" should cease to represent routes after the strike ends.

Chautauqua's contract is crap, but I understand how they got duped into signing it (republic). What is inexcusible is actively going after flying that is being conducted by an airline that struck to receive the contract to fly it. While other airlines refused to fly Comair routes during the strike, Chautauqua waited until the strike was over, and then took 'em. I've heard way too many CHQ pilots in the terminal bragging about their quick upgrades, and considering what other pilot groups have sacrificed (and are continuing to sacrifice greatly) for them to sneak in and reap the benefits, I don't blame the looks and lectures they get.

Brag about your upgrade all you want, but I'd be careful. One of these people you're bragging to may be about to lose his job because he trusted you to do what it took for the good of the profession, not for the good of your ego.

Latest resources

Back