• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair jumpseat this morning DCA-JFK

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gate agents should face disciplinary action (as any pilot would) for not following procedures. Jumpseating is a privilege extended by the Captain, not the gate agent. As pilots, we are way too timid about this.

Agreed. I always hate when gate agents dictate whether or not I can get a ride. When shady stuff like this happens I always ask to speak to the captain. Usually that squashes anything the gate agent says.

Its not the agents call, its the captains, and for that I always thank them!

G

OK, get this.... JFK gate agent tells my girlfriend that she doesn't have time to get her on the flight. She tells the gate agent, but I am POSITIVE SPACE, I am not non-rev I am Dead Heading back to base POS SPACE. Gate Agent says "sorry, but we don't have to get POS SPACEs on either if we don't have time. She had been sitting at the gate for over 45 min - not like she ran up at the last minute.

Heyas,

Reminds me of a funny story when I was working for PDT....

We were doing one of those wacky holiday trips. CA and I DH on company metal from EWN to CLT, where we were going to DH from CLT to MIA.

We get to the gate in CLT, and try to check in....we had locater codes and everything. Agent goes ballistic: "Express CAN'T ride positive space and we're full. I have no seats for you". Several calm attempts to explain that this was part of a schedule trip fell on deaf ears.

Now if it were ME, I would have just left it alone, let the flight depart, THEN call scheduling to say I had been refused boarding, but the CA was a company type, and he called scheduling...and it was one of those conversations where you can hear the other person on the phone, even without the volume being turned up. The scheduler goes "WHAT WHAT WHAT?...put me on with the agent!".

Agent refuses to talk with the scheduler. CA bows out, and the scheduler calls the gate directly. And there I observed the most beautiful impasse I had ever witnessed in my life....a regional crew scheduler getting stonewalled by a mainline gate agent.

About 5 minutes to door closing, a supervisor comes down, and rips the agent a new one, and pulls two non-revs off to put us on. Needless to say, I'd have rather seen the non-revs go so I could go home, but the episode was really quite funny.

Nu

The other day in JFK we heard a company guy on the radio asking what gate our flight going out of. When he didn't show up, the Capt went to the gate just to see if they were denying him for some reason. Sure enough, the gate was trying to close the flight 10 minutes early. Also there was an AA FA nearly in tears because they wouldn't clear her to get home. Needless to say the Capt told the dummies to reopen the flight (yes they can do that) and put both of them on. If you have time, at least call about JS's or try to make an appearance at the gate.

Just when you thought you'd heard it all...

Agent: "Sorry, we can't take you today, sir (talking to me, AA pilot, in business casual)... you need to be in uniform to ride on Delta Connection."

Granted, she was busy boarding and I suspected she was using the lack of uniform as an excuse... but c'mon, just tell me you don't have enough time.

Rant off. :cool:

She probably didn't like Italians. Did you remember your hat?

...Sorry to hear about your troubles, fratello!

In all these stories you guys claim to have actually understood what a JFK gate agent mumbled out of their mouth. Not possible since none of them speak English or ebonics. Still haven't figured out what that jive they mumble is considered.

Gate agents should face disciplinary action (as any pilot would) for not following procedures. Jumpseating is a privilege extended by the Captain, not the gate agent. As pilots, we are way too timid about this.

Jumpseating is a privilege extended by the company you fly for with approval from the Captain.......

Heyas,

Reminds me of a funny story when I was working for PDT....

We were doing one of those wacky holiday trips. CA and I DH on company metal from EWN to CLT, where we were going to DH from CLT to MIA.

We get to the gate in CLT, and try to check in....we had locater codes and everything. Agent goes ballistic: "Express CAN'T ride positive space and we're full. I have no seats for you". Several calm attempts to explain that this was part of a schedule trip fell on deaf ears.

Now if it were ME, I would have just left it alone, let the flight depart, THEN call scheduling to say I had been refused boarding, but the CA was a company type, and he called scheduling...and it was one of those conversations where you can hear the other person on the phone, even without the volume being turned up. The scheduler goes "WHAT WHAT WHAT?...put me on with the agent!".

Agent refuses to talk with the scheduler. CA bows out, and the scheduler calls the gate directly. And there I observed the most beautiful impasse I had ever witnessed in my life....a regional crew scheduler getting stonewalled by a mainline gate agent.

About 5 minutes to door closing, a supervisor comes down, and rips the agent a new one, and pulls two non-revs off to put us on. Needless to say, I'd have rather seen the non-revs go so I could go home, but the episode was really quite funny.

Nu

With your type of work ethic, it's no wonder the airlines are in the shape they are in. Your company needs to make money or sooner or later you don't have a job. Or maybe you figure the airlines are like Obamacare? Don't worry, we'll print more money................

With your type of work ethic, it's no wonder the airlines are in the shape they are in. Your company needs to make money or sooner or later you don't have a job. Or maybe you figure the airlines are like Obamacare? Don't worry, we'll print more money................

With posts like this it's a wonder Frank Lorenzo hasn't been elected president...:D

Latest resources

Back