• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair Furloughing 300

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sure, since Delta pilots are responsible for who the company hires, just like the Comair pilots were responsible for hiring at their carrier. Troll...:rolleyes:

Hmmm. The regional guys didn't seem to mind too much about their rapid expansion post -911 while legacy guys were being furloughed.

Oh well, maybe Delta will hire furloughed Comair pilots just like Comair hired furloughed Delta pilots .... :erm:

Sure, since Delta pilots are responsible for who the company hires, just like the Comair pilots were responsible for hiring at their carrier. Troll...:rolleyes:

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']TO: Comair Pilots[/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']
DATE:December 16, 2002
Your MEC met in CVG with the Delta MEC Chairman, Captain Will Buergey, at his request, to discuss preferential hiring of furloughed Delta pilots at Comair. Through this letter, I hope to dispel rumors and provide a more thorough understanding of the purpose and outcome of that meeting.

The Delta MEC, while in session at the bi-annual October Board of Directors meeting in Hollywood, Florida, formally directed the Delta MEC Chairman via resolution to meet with the Comair MEC Chairman to seek preferential hiring for furloughed Delta pilots at Comair while allowing them to retain their Delta seniority.

The general philosophy held by the Comair MEC is:

We are sensitive to the regrettable plight of all furloughed pilots in our industry.
We encourage our management to hire pilots who seek a future at Comair.
We have formally approached Comair management and our management has agreed to preferential hiring of furloughed ALPA pilots.
We agree with our company's policy that requires prospective Comair pilots to resign their seniority at their previous carrier.
We believe our Company's industry-standard policy requiring seniority resignation is sound and wise. It promotes the general health and welfare of all Comair employees and serves to protect the future of our company.
At our meeting in CVG, Captain Buergey offered preferential hiring to Comair pilots if the Comair MEC would recommend to Comair management that they hire furloughed Delta pilots and allow them to retain their Delta seniority.

Your MEC responded that hiring any pilots at Comair who do not resign their seniority at their previous carrier gives rise to numerous substantive concerns. The Delta MEC's offer of (future) preferential hiring at Delta is not sufficiently substantive to overcome those concerns and solicit Comair pilots' support. We suggested three alternative concepts, any one or all of which might lead to a mutually beneficial solution:

Relax the Delta PWA, Section 1, seat restrictions imposed upon Comair and ASA that limit our growth in 70-seat and larger airframes.
Negotiate Delta Brand Scope language with Delta management that defines all Delta flying within the Delta revenue stream to be performed solely by Delta, Comair, and ASA pilots.
Negotiate a plan for future integration of our Delta, Comair, and ASA pilots seniority lists that fairly recognizes the efforts and contributions of all.

The Comair MEC stands ready to work with the collective MEC's to bring about change that makes sense in a challenging economic environment and works for all pilots who perform flying under the Delta brand. As we stated in the Tuesday, December 3rd meeting, our door is still open.

COMAIR MEC
AIR LINE PILOTS ASSOCIATION, INTERNATIONAL
SUITE 120 3940 OLYMPIC BOULEVARD ERLANGER, KY 41018
859-282-9016 FAX 859-283-5533

[/FONT]

Care to restate that?

Last edited:
haha

the only thing that can be agreed on now is that if it has your logo on the tail-- it needs ONE pilot group

sucks for all

I think you'll find that the pilots to be furloughed at Comair weren't on property when the MEC decided to refuse to help get furloughed Delta pilots the right to hire on without resigning from Delta.

To get someone who was a voting member of the union at Comair when that occured you'd have to go back to pre-2002 hires.

So your mean spirited glee at the Comair furloughees' coming difficulties is directed at the wrong people.

Last edited:
Mistakes were made by Regional pilots.

Mistakes were made by Legacy/Mainline pilots.

Mistakes were made by non-union pilots.

Mistakes were made by ALPA pilots.

Didn't you're parents ever teach you that we are all human and everyone makes mistakes?

Didn't you're parents ever teach you that everyone makes decisions which they will later regret?

Hell, even a casual TV watcher knows the truth of "Live together, did alone.."

And we all know damn well that management understands the value of the ancient technique of "divide and conquer".

Many pilots are trying to take steps towards INCREASING unity. Sure, there is no shortage of bad blood from bad decisions made in the past. A lot of the folks (not all) responsible are already retired and gone. There is movement now to try to build unity within some brands across pilot groups. ALPA is even at least beginning to take steps to establish cooperation between pilot groups.

It's time to put the past behind us and work together to save our future. Otherwise it will only be the management groups that continue to obscenely profit from all of this mess we are in.

It's time to grow up again and start working together.

Yeah, I know, time to get off the soapbox...

Allright.........im tired of this.

I was a Comair pilot for a long time. By the grace of God I was able to move on. I was on strike there and went through 9/11 like everyone. I am very thankful for everyone Mainline and Regional pilots who supported us and who all came together to help each other out. These are very tough times for ALL!

With that being said, I know that it sucked that Comair did not hire Delta people. Why didnt they? I dont know. It was never put to a vote to the pilots.

BUT, go back and check the notes from 2000 when Comair pilots wanted to merge seniority lists for Delta and Delta Connection. Your egos about small jets hid you from the truth. I dont know of anyone at Comair who wanted a one for one. Most people wanted a staple with a furlough fence. It was stated that there may be a point in time where Mainline was getting rid of people while at the same time the regionals (all of them!) were hiring. Your mec turned a cold shoulder to that! So.........it is a screw up by BOTH mec's. Ego's got the best of everyone.

I always wanted to go to Southwest, so I am very happy. I never applied to Delta so I was not looking for a free ticket to Delta. I like the flying and the people at SWA so thats why I wanted to come here. With that said I have a lot or respect for you guys. Yall do some very difficult flying that is very challenging. I have never once said anything bad about Delta pilots.

Just food for thought

apply to Netjets...you'll live longer and eat better...

Latest resources

Back