Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very sad to see the way the news media "reports" so much that is pure speculation. Even on this very thread...16 pages so far and much of it is boastful opinion and flaming of one another. Perhaps we should focus more of this energy on praying for the souls lost in this tragedy, their family and friends AND especially for the recovery of the surviving First Officer.

greg52083 said:
Shame that no carrier has purchased the addon to the EGPWS (called RAAS, link below) that would have identified to the crew they have lined up with a shorter then normal runway (it would have said as they went to t/o thrust "caution rwy 26, 3,500 feet"). We should push that RAAS be manditory in the future. It always costs lives to get anything that done in this industry.

I'm sure it will be mandated now. As usual, the FAA is a "Tombstone Agency".

greg52083 said:
Shame that no carrier has purchased the addon to the EGPWS (called RAAS, link below) that would have identified to the crew they have lined up with a shorter then normal runway (it would have said as they went to t/o thrust "caution rwy 26, 3,500 feet"). We should push that RAAS be manditory in the future. It always costs lives to get anything that done in this industry.

My heart goes out to the crew and their families. Any one know if there is any way to dontate to the families?

http://www.honeywell.com/sites/aero/Egpws-Home3_CB54AACBB-D557-208D-8CE0-EC44CECAAB3B_HD821C499-7201-CF0B-5533-6EFD92534345.htm

The airlines are always the last to get the most up-to-date avionics/equipment.

Just recieved word that a AirTran F.O. was communting in to ATL on that flight and was lost as well.

Departing LEX, 260/270 used to be/is a common departure heading after takeoff. Could line up on the bug taking runway 26 which is very easy to do if you haven't been there in awhile/before and of first thing in the morning after a long day before (reduced rest). You have to cross the threshhold of 26 to get to 22.

CVR/FDR will tell the tale.

My prayers are with everyone including the Tower controller which should have caught any obvious mistake taking place after the clearance was read back. At 6am on a Sunday, likely one joe in the cab running atis, ground, clearance and departure at that time.

Could happen to any of us.

God bless
100-1/2

JCJ said:
The helicopter footage from today shows the taxiway complex at the NE end of runways 22 and 26 to be substantially different than what is on the current NACO airport diagram (and Google earth). The runway resurfacing and expansion of the safety area (which presumably resulted in the configuration change) was just done about a week ago.
I was thinking the same thing - I looked at the Jepp chart for LEX and noticed that there was a mismatch with what the live TV (helicopter shot) was showing. Google Earth shows old satellite pictures that match the Jepp diagram. Sad.

FLB717 said:
Just recieved word that a AirTran F.O. was communting in to ATL on that flight and was lost as well.

I was wondering who the jumpseater could have been. My condolences, not a way I'd want to go. That erases the theory that he was sitting in the cockpit though since Airtran is not CASS.

a friend told me that it was 14 mins in between CTO from tower and crash. it is possible they took off, circled around, and tried to land?

Fox News reporter Trace Gallagher just said they had 13,000 lbs of bags on board....therefore please do not be too quick to take anything you hear on the news as fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back