Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have the exact data, but very unlikely to take off w/ 50 pax on 3500 feet.
As always there are other factors, winds, runway slope, etc.

Last edited:
pa31350pilot said:
Of course you need to take witness accounts with a grain of salt, but the lound bang and flash could have been an engine. The 100 / 200 has no fadec, so if they were firewalled, bad things happen. Pure speculation.

GodSpeed Comair 5191

Yeah a friend of mine that flies an RJ Pt 91 had a compressor come apart taking off from Teterhole in june. He said it was ugly but they made it to Newark no prob

av8tor4239 said:
Can a full CRJ 200 depart on a 3500 foot runway with a light headwind as has been reported? I know our ATR can do it.

No chance. Maybe with 20kts and holding the brakes until full power is up. We use 5000ft runways with our 40 seaters in APF and that is always pushing it. Usually can't even take 40 especially with any extra fuel.

My prayers to the family and friends of all on board.

av8tor4239 said:
Can a full CRJ 200 depart on a 3500 foot runway with a light headwind as has been reported? I know our ATR can do it.

That report was a total speculation, no fact. The position could also be explained by a downwind turn back to the airport if you look at LEX's diagram. You do however have to cross the threshold of 26 to get to 22 though. But still, the media is stupid and just looking for something to sink their teeth into.

God Bless the crew, passengers, and family.

Video clearly shows that aircraft impacted trees less than 1/2 mile from departure end of 26-tops of trees sheared off in direction of 26 and aircraft breakup just past that in wooded area. Have flown out of LEX numerous times, but not lately. My memory is that airport terrain on 22/4 anyway is higher at center of airport so you cannot see other end of RWY. Not sure what the view from the beginning of 26 is or whether you can see end of runway. Impact site is much closer than the reported 1 mile. Aircraft barely made it off airport property just south of an airport fire training facility. Looks like the initial impact tree stub remains are about 30 feet high giving some idea as to altitude on initial impact with tree line.

Last edited:
Sad day

bvt1151 said:
AA 191 DC10 in 1979 at ORD

DL 191 in 1985 at DFW
This scares me...

My condolences to all the families of the passengers and crew aboard the Comair flight today. My heart goes out to all of you, and my prayers for your soul's safe flight home.

God Bless ALL of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back