Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the other thread about this a Comair guy (I assume) said the trip they were flying had a 28 hour overnight there which means they flew the last flight in FRIDAY night. All day Saturday off. ASA has a few of these long Saturday overnights too sincet he Saturday schedules are so different from other days.

To ALL:

This thread is about the Comair Accident, not about name calling and flaming people. This is the only warning I will give. If the name calling continues on this thread, I will kick you for good, no questions asked. Please, show some respect for the thread and pax, crews lost. Use the PM feature to vent at eachother, not the public board. When friends and family come to this site to see what has been written, they do not need to read all the BS fighting that goes on here....KNOCK IT OFF

The Lexington Herald-Leader has some good pictures of the accident site. One picture that really illuminates that the takeoff from 26 was a view at the end of runway 26.

At the end of 26, there is a small berm with two sets of tire marks in the grass and a damaged fence with broken trees beyond. I think it's photo #4 of the accident pictures at this site: http://www.heraldleaderphoto.com/featuredgalleries/featuredgalleriesindex.html

iaflyer said:
The Lexington Herald-Leader has some good pictures of the accident site. One picture that really illuminates that the takeoff from 26 was a view at the end of runway 26.

At the end of 26, there is a small berm with two sets of tire marks in the grass and a damaged fence with broken trees beyond. I think it's photo #4 of the accident pictures at this site: http://www.heraldleaderphoto.com/featuredgalleries/featuredgalleriesindex.html

There's your proof right there. Good find. The plane took off 26 and didn't get airborne, in fact bounced off a small hill at the end of the runway (see the dual tire marks in the dirt on picture 4), went through a fence, through some treetops and settled back down a few thousand feet later. Ouch.

It'll be interesting to see whether or not the runway lights do indeed work on runway 26.

Last edited:
747flyboy said:
I say what I please, when I please. I don't bandwagon like most of you do. You'd have to be a pretty stupid pilot to not already know that using the 3500 foot runway is the main cause of this accident. And by what all the eyewitnesses said about the loud bang and then the huge flash tells me that they had a compressor stall or maybe a dual stall. Furthermore, to get a compressor stall or two you would have to have pulled that thing up pretty aggressively, meaning they probably didn't reach lift-off speed but they did reach the end of the runway.

Sorry if I can put this stuff together quicker than you can.

Sad. There are many in this profession that don't belong. As pilots we are bound together, now matter who we fly for. Your words make it glaringly obvious that you don't belong. Have some respect and please stop making yourself look so childish.

NYR

Peace and prayers to all involved

Last edited:
It amazes me sometimes that people are quick to "shoot down" someones views or ideas because they may not thier views, strike a bad chord etc (such as against 747flyboy), yet can in almost the same breath offer up their own "facts" as to where, why and what.

747FB was purely putting over his view of events (how they they were put is immaterial), opinions are like @ssholes, we all have one.

Frankly, as sad as this whole event is, I am sorry but any pilot with knowledge of jet operations, aerodynamics, systems etc, given the news that they did leave a short runway, witness acounts of loud bags, flashes (typical compressor stalls - even more prone to rear mounted engines due to air flow disturbances off the wing) etc can almost put together the scene - no more runway, pull it off and try and get it to fly, wing and engine stall........

This is a sad day for all involved in aviation and the families of the lost, and the FO fighting for his life, lets remember these people first and foremost.

In the coming weeks and months we will all know what really happened.

so any word on the status of the FO?
Times like these we should all put the whose stealing whose flying bs on the side burner and realize whats important. Godspeed gentlemen.
My thoughts and prayers are with the families and I hope the FO makes a full recovery, anyone with any updates on the FO please fill us in....last i heard hes out of surgery.

Its not the views that someone is shooting down. I think we can all agree that there was a mistake made. The point is that the crash is not even 6 hours old and there are some here that do not know how to show a little respect for the victims and familys that lost their fathers, mothers, daughters, sons, wifes, husbands etc etc. If we want to armchair quarterback it then fine...but lets at least wait a few days to let things settle before jumping in. Also, I have a problem with people trying to get around the auto censor buy using *ukk and other creative words. I wont put up with it. Like I said, its not the view points....its the common sense of showing a little respect and not being so insensitive so quickly.

ok, off my soap box

Midnight Flyer said:
Are you forgetting what country we live in and that we as citizens have a right to express ourselves through freedom of speech?
Who made you the moral police? What makes you the expert on judging IFLYABEECH's comments and then deciding if it's the appropriate time for him to voice his opinion as to what happened?
I personally don't believe IFLYABEECH is being insensitive, uncaring nor coldhearted. He has offered his condolences to the passengers, family and crew.
Just because IFLYABEECH voiced an opinion as to what he thinks might have happened dosen't mean he himself has never made a mistake; I don't know where you come up with that asinine line of thinking.

Geeze 400, just get off the guys case and lets keep the arguing and sarcasm out of this thread. Lets focus on respecting the families and victims of this horrific tragedy.

"offering your condolences to the passengers, family and crew" isnt enough. How many are going to say that! Everyone, and who actually means it?!? they are just words! When people die thats what you always hear. "I am so sorry", "If theres anything I can do to help" Yes this is America, and you can say whatever you feel. And we are not the moral police of anyone. The individual should put their morals in check and decide for themselves the right thing to say or not say, despite their freedoms.

Speaking as someone who has recently lost an immediate family member in a crash (automobile) the last thing you want to hear is details of what has happened. THe fact is, they are gone. There is plenty of time in the future to go over the details of how they died, in the initial shock of loosing someone you dont want to hear details. So its our job as professionals to show condolences to the families not with our words on some message board, but with our actions. By actions I mean not repeating the BS that the media feeds and making our expert authoritive decision of what happen.

As obvious as something is. You never know exactly what happened. Unless you were sitting at the departure end of the runway, in the tower, in the cockpit, watching the radar, all at the same time, you dont know what completely happened. So lets let the NTSB do their job, which is a very difficult job, and we can concentrate on beeing professionals and having some sort of sensitivity to the families/friends of all who are affected by this very tragic day. So please for just one day, skip assumptions and keep your personal opion in check. My heart goes out to the families, i know how you feel and my prayers are with you! God bless you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back