• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
EOpilot said:
Wow, that's almost exactly the wording I used in the email I just wrote to MSNBC.

Fortunately, only about 12 people are watching that pathetic excuse of a network at any given time.

Great email though!

Man...this both breaks my heart and scares me to death.

From me and my family - god bless you all. We are so sorry for all your loss. Our hearts go out to the families left behind.

As a dad, I can't stand the thought of my wife and kids having to wake up to that kind of news. We have certainly been a more loving family today!

As a pilot, I wanted to wait before I jumped to conclusions about what caused the crash. I think with all the information coming in (pictures and videos) that it is obvious that they came off the wrong runway.

All I can think about is how easily this could have been me.

How many times have we been in our own little world (running checklist, making PA's) not watching where we are taxiing or what runway we are on.

Several times, have been cleared for takeoff before leaving the ramp area. Now, I am suddenly 3 checklist behind and trying to get everything done before we get to the end of the runway...more focused of completing the checklist than I am my surroundings.

HockeyPilot? Was that a serious post????? Did you really mean to type that? Certainly...hopefully not.

CX880 said:
But still this accident is so incomprehensable that there must be more to it than just mistaken runways.

The only thing that I find incomprehensible is how this kind of thing doesn't happen more often. I don't intend to comment specifically on this accident but, with all the irregular work/sleep hours, financial hardship and instability in the airline environment and hectic pace at some airports the people who work in these jobs are under a huge amount of stress. That kind of stress plays a role in all the mistakes each of us makes. Trying to pretend it's no big deal and suck it up just makes things worse. My prayers are for the deceased, their families and a solution to this chaos.

I think that is is smart to take the mistakes of others and learn from them. As it is said, ". . . the FARS are written in the blood of pilots. . . "

It is a sad fact. I may be critical of an error that killed 49 folks and severly injured another, but that doesn't mean that I think I am perfect. This accident will be one of those things I think about when taking off.

It is obvious that these guys took off on the wrong runway. There is sure to be a chain of events leading up to this fact. Maybe they were tired. Maybe the controller wasn't watching and paying attention. Maybe the airport chart was not current. There are lots of other factors in this accident that we will find out about. Lets take all of them and learn from them in order to become safer pilots.

Last edited:
Hey Comair guys (or any other crj drivers), just curious if your procedures are the same as ours in that you set your heading bug to runway heading before taxi out from the gate.

If you have never done a "stand up" overnight you are not qualified to comment on the crews performance. Everyone makes mistakes. Regardless of how severe the mistake this crew may have made, I blame fatigue brought on by the greed of management for this accident. No one in his or her right mind would ask a doctor to perform surgery after 4 hours “sleep”.

Why do we let ourselves be taken advantage of to the point of tragedy? I love to fly, but I still demand to be paid for it, and you should to. Let's put the professional back into pilot pay and work rules.
RIP

SlapShot said:
http://www.airdisaster.com/photos/n431ca/2.shtml

It takes the NTSB months, even years to come up with exactly what happened to cause any accident. With the recent advances in crash investigating airdisaster.com is able to come out with the cause (note not even the PROBABLE cause) of this accident.
Did you notice the two crown victorias by the hole in the fence? I wonder what they are doing?

iflyabeech said:
I think that is is smart to take the mistakes of others and learn from them. As it is said, ". . . the FARS are written in the blood of pilots. . . " It is a sad fact. I may be critical of an error that killed 49 folks and severly injured another, but that doesn't mean that I think I am perfect. This accident will be one of those things I think about when taking off.
It is obvious that these guys took off on the wrong runway. There is sure to be a chain of events leading up to this fact. Maybe they were tired. Maybe the controller wasn't watching and paying attention. Maybe the airport chart was not current. There are lots of other factors in this accident that we will find out about. Lets take all of them and learn from them in order to become safer pilots.

Please, just go away iflyabeech, you're embarassing....and Midnight flyer that was my freedom of speech, My hat is off to you and your reply 400A

Ya know, empty wagons rattle the loudest....

God bless the families and may they be spared the likes of some of you expert pilots.

Although the outcome was better, this reminds me of the incident in Anchorage a few years ago when one of the asian cargo companies took off on the parallel taxiway. . .and left tire tracks in a snowbank at the end of a taxiway. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back