Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
I myself today was given a huge wake up call and reality check. We have just gone through the safest period in Us Aviation history. We have not had a crash since 2001, and since that day a lot of new pilots (including myself) have been hired. All of those of us that have been hired since 2001 have heard nothing but terms like bankruptcy, furlough, rfp, contract negotiations, 70 and 90 seaters and things of that nature. We have never heard terms like "crash, fatalities, and possible pilot error". Unfortunately sometimes a bad thing has to happen before you realize that you need to step back and refocus on what is important, Safety. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of the crash victims, and to the f/o, as he moves forward in his recovery

701 EV....though not a pilot due to medical issues, I agree with you entirely.

The line from high flight I think fits "...For I have slipped the surly bonds of earth and touched the face of god"

Godspeed to the crew, passengers and families. To all of you at Comair, Delta and Delta Connection, my heartfelt sympathy.

I think gojo and black hawk were on to something. Joe Public demands flawless air travel yet thinks it's OK for 4 year FO's to make barely $30K. http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/major-national-lcc/comair.html WTF? For the same pay, a job at Home Depot would at least have a decent schedule. Does the FAA not understand what kind of stress it is to have a complete sh!t schedule, make less than $30K for several years, watch over your shoulder for furloughs, and juggle a family?!? That adds to stress in a marriage which drags everything full circle. This HAS to f@#$ with performance, so why then are airlines allowed to get away with it? Mesa et al can no longer be allowed to continue setting the standard. The responsibility we all share is stress enough. We don't need to be stripped of our self respect.
Say a prayer for everyone involved.

Last edited:
Detroitpilot22 said:
I myself today was given a huge wake up call and reality check. We have just gone through the safest period in Us Aviation history. We have not had a crash since 2001,

We've had one. The Air Midwest flight that went down in CLT. I knew the Captain and miss her.

701EV...

Read your PM's. I have had a tough time getting on today with the slow down. Sorry if I sounded pissed in the PM but we are doing our best. With the amount of traffic on here today its been hard to edit much at all. Please understand. FN FAL has been a thorn in my side today along with a few others and for you to tell us to grow some balls was out of line I thought. I would hope that others think we are doing a good job but we are not perfect. Like I said, we are doing our best.

701EV said:
CX880,

Hey Modiraitors, grow some balls.

49 people died today.

They've been dead for 16hrs and 25min.

There were more than that,

Last edited:
20/20 Hindsight aside, we should all take something from this accident. We should honor this crew by thinking of them everytime we taxi to takeoff. Standard Operating procedures do mitigate accidents, use them! Whether you are taxiing for takeoff or lining up for final, do a thorough brief each and every day, not just "standard".

This could happen to any one of us as could any number of previous accidents unless we learn from them and vow never to let the same thing happen to us. How many have seen the fateful Everglades crash and said, "no matter what, someone will always be flying the airplane." Do the same here. Check and recheck your heading and airport diagram to ensure you are where you think you are. Check your performance numbers. Ensure checklists are complete. If fatigue is a factor, make sure you do all that TWICE.

Sure, RAS might have prevented this tragedy, but we all know we don't fly the most modern aircraft. YOU are the last line of defense!

FLY SAFE!

From one company to another:

The news of the Comair accident hits very close to home for all of us at SkyWest. Our deepest sympathy and heartfelt compassion goes out to the families, crew and passengers as well as the entire Comair family. We are offering all SkyWest resources to assist Comair and Delta and appreciate the support of all of you. While the cause of this tragedy may take weeks or months to discover we must discipline ourselves not to speculate or comment on how this could have happened. Our airline, and our industry is the safest method of travel on the planet. This accident is a sobering reminder that we must be constantly vigilant and safety will not be compromised. Look out for one another and fly safe.

Godspeed...

B1900FO said:
I feel horrible for everyone involved in this accident, including the crew members. For some unknown reason they took off on the wrong runway. What could have possibly distracted them?

There was also a jumpseater onboard. Was he in the cockpit? If so, did he notice the wrong runway?

Lastly, what do you do when you notice the end of the runway is coming up? Do you throw everything out and ride it off the end or do you try to make it fly?

Too many questions which have no answers and will take sometime to get.

Guys, we're all human. The Captain of the KLM 747 that slammed into the PanAm 747 in Tenerife was supposed to be the best pilot KLM had. If it can, it will happen!

Life's too short!

Forever tailwinds and blue skies for all!

This is not second guessing and I am not implying that anyone should have done anything differently. I'm just throwing out an idea for everyone's bag of tricks in response to the above question.

I had a sim instructor in the DC-9 who used to do this little scenario every year: Barreling down the runway, below V1 and an unlit aircraft appears on the runway in front of you. Stopping is not an option. Swerving is not a good option. More flaps (like landing flaps) and the jet levitates over the traffic (well below V1). Granted, you're screwed in an engine failure, but that's the least of your worries at that point.

Just something to try when you are out of options. Worked in the sim.

Anyway, godspeed to the victims.

PIPE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back