Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the live news feed they had a weatherman show doppler radar from around the airport at the time of departure. They did a minute by minute tracking and it showed a dissipating cell (about 3/4 of a mile wide) moving east along the departure path for 26. Could have affected visibility.

Murdoughnut said:
On the live news feed they had a weatherman show doppler radar from around the airport at the time of departure. They did a minute by minute tracking and it showed a dissipating cell (about 3/4 of a mile wide) moving east along the departure path for 26. Could have affected visibility.

3500x75

vs

7000x150

...the official verdict was 'pilot error,' but since their passengers, who were innocent of the controls, also failed to survive, it seemed that fate was the hunter. As it had been and would be...

-Ernest Gann

sleepy said:
This is a real shame, I am guessing they were on a CDO?

Good grief. You worked for ASA. The Comair flight was flying to Atlanta. You should know there is no comair crew base in Atlanta. No CDO. This was already discussed.

Metro752 said:
3500x75

vs

7000x150

I meant it could have affected visibility to the extent that they mistook 22 for 26.

I just heard from the live feed that airport sources have officially confirmed that the aircraft took off on 26. God bless them all.

Wasted said:
I agree. The Jepps haven't been updated yet with the changes at that airport. Absent specific instructions from the controller "taxi Alpha, cross 26, Alpha 5, to runway 22," I think it would be very easy for someone to accidentally takeoff from 26 in the dark of early morning since once you get on 26, you would find that Alpha straight ahead no longer takes you to 22 and you would be led to think that you are already on 22.

The helicopter footage from today shows the taxiway complex at the NE end of runways 22 and 26 to be substantially different than what is on the current NACO airport diagram (and Google earth). The runway resurfacing and expansion of the safety area (which presumably resulted in the configuration change) was just done about a week ago.

As I type this, NBC says it has confirmed from airport sources that the aircraft took off from 26 (the short runway). If that's true, the new and uncharted taxiway configuration may be a big human factors issue in this crash.

Heartbreaking. Condolences to families and friends of crew and the passengers on board. I know they fought it to the end. Godspeed.

Guys, check your runway alignment before blasting off and give that stby. vertical card compass a few taps cause it gets hung-up. Tragic day.

Sad day no matter what happened, My families prayers go out to all effected by this.

ReportCanoa said:
Having the rwy heading bugged before you leave the gate is a good policy.

How many times have you bugged the runway hdg, but were given a departure hdg before you took the runway, bugged that and forgot about it!!!!!!
All of us could have done this - human factors!!
The vultures are already descending on the families, I predict lawsuits filed within 2 days!!! - Comair, Jepp, Airport Authority, you name it, the a$$holes are going to drag everyone into this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back