• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
328dude said:
They might have had numbers for that runway, but the configuration was wrong.

I have no idea how CMR gets their takeoff perf data but I can tell you that there is no CRJ-200 that will takeoff from a 3500' runway with 50 people on it. IIRC, we didn't have numbers for the short runway in LEX for the DoJet and that airplane doesn't need nearly as much runway as the CRJ does. That said, this really could have happened to any of us.

Last edited:
GravityHater said:
Look at the taxiway diagram
Esp if both rwys had lights on, there was ample opportunity for error.
http://download.aopa.org/ustprocs/20060803/airport_diagrams/00697AD.PDF

Out of all the airports I've flown out of LEX would be the easiest one to make this mistake at. My wife (ex-DoJet FO) had a new CA start to line up on the short runway once, so I know it happens. I'm sure it has happened quite a bit actually, fortunately the crews caught their mistake before it was too late.

La Crosse is bad as well. Early in the morning on a CDO, its easy to line up with rwy 3 (i think) vs 36

All right. This is pathetic. As of 12:37 pm EDT, the female "reporter" on MSNBC stated that "their producer just tried calling the 1-800 number set up by Delta and was on hold for 15 minutes." Then she turned to ask a clinical psychologist how this 15 minute period must feel to those relatives and friends who were calling the hotline.

You know, XM radio just announced that they were dropping MSNBC due to scheduling conflicts. Another source stated that is was due to very very poor ratings. I guess this one serves them right!

A Time and Place

First of all, may God bless all involved with His mercy and grace...a horrible day for our Comair brothers

Second, some of you really trouble me. I don't really know how else to say it. I have scared myself stupid in a cockpit, in both seats, in a few different planes - one of them an RJ. Do you think the crew woke up and decided to break their families hearts and said 'let's see if we can't kill ourselves today?' I am truly amazed, and a few other words, by the lack of judgment and insensitivity of some of the posts here.

Could be me, but if you don't have a "there but for the grace of God go I" attitude, or - not to offend - a sense of humility about your craft, I don't think I want you flying my family around. Humility doesn't condone making critical mistakes at the most inopportune times, but it does lend one a 'holy crap - I could have easily done that given those circumstances' attitude. There is a time and a place to study and learn from those that have come before us, but there is also a time to STFU and thank God that there but by His grace...

CX880 said:
You know what RIP to the deceased but no matter what they say, this was pilot error, even if ATC or other factors were involved they should have never taken off that runway. If this is indeed what it looks like, it might be one of the stupidest pilot error accidents in U.S aviation history. And if the pilot jumpseater, who must know the airport, was in the cockpit it adds to it. But still this accident is so incomprehensable that there must be more to it than just mistaken runways.

CX880,

Sir you are an A$$!

If the only airplane you have flown is a 172 GO PASCK SAND!

Hey Modiraitors, grow some balls.

49 people died today.

They've been dead for 16hrs and 25min.

How about you take the BS off the forum that has anything to do with stupid comments like, Pilot error, Stupid mistake, Wrong runway or anything like that.

If you have less than 3000 hrs Shut Up

If you don't fly 121 or 135 Shut Up

If your aircraft weighs less than 25000lbs Shut Up.

God help some of you folks the day you make your mistake!

My Thoughts and prayers to everyone involved with this tragedy.

701EV

Last edited:
here is a nasa study on pilot fatigue and circadian rhythms

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/legaff/mann8-3.html

the article is really good, but the 3rd paragraph tells the story we all need to hear. I'm not saying this came into play, but we have all found ourselves on the back side of the clock, droning out in the cockpit. Again, I'm not speculating one bit here.

On another note, say a prayer, chant, sing, moment of silence, drink, or whatever it is you do for the FO tonight. I spent 14 months in Iraq before I came to my present flying job, and was a patrol leader one day when my team got hit. 2 killed, and 1 critical. I held the mans hand waiting on the medivac thinking he would never make it with a huge hole in his chest, abdomen and head. Six months later i was eating chinese food with him at ft bragg. I'm praying tonight for the FO, his family, and the families of all involved. Keep hope alive

I was driving to the airport this morning when I heard this. My condolences to the families of all who were on this airplane. What a tradegy.

I think we will all remember these people every time we taxi to a runway. I know I will.

And yes, we should all be thinking along the lines of "there, but for the grace of God, go I" because it could conceivably happen to any of us. Hopefully it'll open our eyes a bit and cause all of us to be just that much more vigilant.

This is so darn sad...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back