Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious and not trying to place blame, but is there an FAR that pilots must have an airport diagram out for taxi? Lets all try to learn and become better pilots from this unfortunate accident.

lowtimedriver said:
Does anyone have any idea what the tower didn't notice/say anything during the TO role? I am assuming that the tower was staffed as I read earlier in this thread that the tower is open 24/7.

God bless those on this flight.

It's been a while since I've been there but I seem to remember a sign near RW26 and RW22 that said the area wasn't visible from the tower.

Like many have said...it could have been any of us. God bless all involved.

hockeypilot44:

I'd advise you to take a moment and think about what you've posted, but I doubt you're well-equipped for thinking.

Pathetic.

Rest in peace to the crew and pax aboard Comair 5191. Best wishes to the survivor.

You know what RIP to the deceased but no matter what they say, this was pilot error, even if ATC or other factors were involved they should have never taken off that runway. If this is indeed what it looks like, it might be one of the stupidest pilot error accidents in U.S aviation history. And if the pilot jumpseater, who must know the airport, was in the cockpit it adds to it. But still this accident is so incomprehensable that there must be more to it than just mistaken runways.

n757st said:
I almost flipped out watching CNN. They had a "veteran" pilot talking about how he believes this might be a CG error due to the increased amount of luggage on the airplanes with the security issues. I seriously wanted to call CNN and give them an ear full, but whatever. God bless.

captianv said:
Let's hold off on the armchair crash investigation for now.

I saw the same guy on CNN. He some sort of retired or former Airbus pilot.
He was adding fuel to the speculation fire in that he was pointing out how
pilots over a certain age, I believe he mentioned 50, have degraded
eyesight. Where that came from I don't know. It definitely puts CNN
into the "let's speculate before the facts are in" camp with all the others.

For those "perfect" pilots who are posting about how badly the crew screwed up. Quit your job please. Quit your job for the sake of every other innocent human being on this planet who travel by air on a daily basis. Your attitude is the single most unsafe action in the cockpit.

It disgusts me to think that you, a professional pilot would criticize your fellow aviators instead of asking yourself "what went wrong, and what can I do to avoid that situation?"

To the rest of you who are constantly learning about your profession and learning from others mistakes instead of criticizing their mistakes, thank you! It is a pleasure to fly with individuals like yourself and it is good to know how safe the cockpit can be with you in it.

We're all human and nobody is perfect so for those of you that are, I will say again, quit your job and do us all a favor!

Fair and balanced FOX News had to bring up the terrorism angle briefly. I guess anything is possible in this day and age but... Lexington KY? On a Comair flight to ATL? The media just jumps all over things like this with absurd speculation. Why can't they ever wait to get more of the facts from credible sources before just running their mouths?

The wrong runway aspect is just sad and tragic. Yes, it was preventable, blah, blah, blah. Mostly ALL aviation accidents have been preventable in some way. There's always a chain of events and while it appears from the outset this chain is short, we have to wait until all the facts are in before making any decisions.

We all make mistakes, and most of the time, they won't be our last ones, but we never know. But it just serves as a reminder that in aviation one mistake can have very dire consequences and not just for you. We all need to do our best to keep accidents like this in the back of our minds, remind ourselves to triple check what we and the other guy have already double checked so that the same thing doesn't happen to us.

It's easy to sit here and say that, I know, but we have to make sure that we don't let the people who died today die in vain. If we can take a look at an accident and say "that'll never happen to me" and do our best NOT to let it happen, then that's what we've got to do and it's the only thing we can do. How many articles have I read on running out of fuel and swore that I'd never do it? Yet once in my limited flying experience, I nearly did. I learned from that mistake and we need to learn from this one.

Godspeed to everyone flying and God Bless to those who left us today and their families.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back