• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

College Vs. Regionals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My plan is to go online after I get on with someone.

My questions are more based on How is hiring going right now? Can i get on somewhere like MESA or Lakes with only Commerical Multi?

Whatever you decide, DO NOT GO TO MESA! There are many other carriers that are hiring with little more than multi commercial instrument. If you are going to go to a regional at least try to go to one that will screw you over the least.

Whatever you decide, DO NOT GO TO MESA! There are many other carriers that are hiring with little more than multi commercial instrument. If you are going to go to a regional at least try to go to one that will screw you over the least.

With 250TT you can't be picky. You just go there to build up a little time and then bail to the regional you really want.

I am currently a freshman at the University of Central Missouri and I am majoring in Flight Operations Management but I really just want to fly when I graduate. I am working on my commercial as well but to give you my view on things I am really in no rush to get hired without graduating. My plans are to become a CFI by next year and instruct the rest of my 3 years here and build up some experience. I believe the minimums at regionals in 3 years will still be under 1000/100 so here is my suggestion to you. If you enjoy college and have the finances than whats the rush to get hired on with a regional. Take it easy these next 3 years, have some fun, get a degree, and build up some experience and then you will be all that more prepared when you do hit the industry.

Good advice. Also, good university! Go Mules!

1st mistake was getting a degree in something aviation related....

graduate with a non aviation related degree, it's your insurance policy for the future. an aviation degree is about as practical as an art degree.

Excellent advice...if the sh!t hits the fan at some point at least you have the resources to pull off a practical back-up plan.

I know it's been said before, but first of all, switch your major. The airlines don't give a rat's ass what you majored in, but the people hiring for your backup job probably will. Yeah, people are getting hired with wet ink comm/multis at places like Lakes, TSA, PSA and Big Sky. If you do decide to go with one of the low-time regionals, make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. People aren't kidding when they talk about how bad life can be here at the bottom. I hate to repeat the usual disapproving lines I heard when I was getting hired, but don't be too hung up on getting a job with XXX hours of time. Just make sure you're as ready as you can be. As desperate as they are, most regionals will still wash you out of ground or sim if they think you'll be an unreasonable burden on your captain. There's plenty of stuff you won't know and even the most experienced new hires learn plenty on IOE, but need to focus on being a GOOD low time pilot (yes everyone, they do exist). There are too many regional captains developing ulcers from flying with F/Os who just weren't ready to make the jump.

Oh, and if you take an offer from Mesa or GoJets with things the way they are now, then you might just be too dumb for a decent job.

An aviation degree isn't quite as useless as some would lead you to believe. Even if you have a non-aviation degree, with no recent experience or training in that field it can be EXTREMELY difficult to find and secure a job. Continuing education and professional development is the key to keeping yourself attractive to employers both in and outside of aviation.

My suggestion would be to keep flying but also minor/double major in accounting to work toward a CPA license...a profession which is also facing a looming "shortage". Even in the midst of a recession you know taxes ain't going away...

Go to college. The best 5 years of my life!!

NO $hit!!! Go to school enjoy it, have fun, drink beer, enjoy the women, figure yourself out, whatever you need to do. there is absolutely no reason to rush into this career. it'll always be there when you get done in what, 3 yrs. there is way more to life than this job. I wouldn't trade one year of college for flying an airplane.

NO $hit!!! Go to school enjoy it, have fun, drink beer, enjoy the women, figure yourself out, whatever you need to do. there is absolutely no reason to rush into this career. it'll always be there when you get done in what, 3 yrs. there is way more to life than this job. I wouldn't trade one year of college for flying an airplane.

I agree 110%. College is far too important of an experience to just drop out so that you can hurry and get on with a sub-par regional that happens to be hiring with no minimums. There's a reason they've dropped their mins that low, and, believe me, 3 years of college is a lot more fun than being Hulas's tool for 3 years...

You're a freshman in college.....so that makes you what, 18-19? I don't think any 121 carriers are hiring teenagers. Are they?

Latest resources

Back