• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

College Vs. Regionals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I kick myself every day for not doing a management minor while in college; I was lazy when it came to "campus academics" then but it'd make that CPA much cheaper and easier for me to obtain now...

Well I tried doing the management minor and I don't regret not finishing it.

Been reading up on this Age 65 crap and does all this mean that if i dont get on somewhere in 6 months there wont be jobs ANYWHERE for the next 4-5 years?

This is very true, however the one major upside to a university program compared to a small FBO is networking.

I must also say that Purdue is not that expensive if you are an Indiana resident; the flight fees were and I'm sure still are quite reasonable for the level of training and aircraft the program utilizes. Of course my dumbass was from out-of-state...;)

Who cares what you major in and where you learn how to fly? Should be nobody but yourself. Study what you want to study but keep in mind how to make yourself marketable not only within THAT field but others that you might have an interest in as well...and take classes to that end.

I kick myself every day for not doing a management minor while in college; I was lazy when it came to "campus academics" then but it'd make that CPA much cheaper and easier for me to obtain now...
you have a very good point about the networking aspect! I was not thinking about that. It just bothers me when I see these Kids coming out of these academy's sometimes over 100K in debt. Comair was charging $300/hr for a 172 dual at the Bridgewater State College program in MA. Need I say that they are no longer providing flight training for the school's program. Not what I call a good deal.

I was fortunate to go to a local Mom & Pop Flight school back in the late 80's. While going to a local state college getting a BA in Business, I was flying charter and instructing. I was fortunate not to have had too much debt when I came out of school.

mil reserve option

Here's an option.
-Go get one of those 250 hr/25 multi jobs now.
-Go to training and IOE and fly for 6 months.
-Join an air national guard unit. $15,000 signing bonus. Take military leave from your company (they have to hold your job and retrain you). You may continue to accrue seniority. May continue with jumpseat privileges.
-Take a mil reserve job of your choosing (mechanic, avionics, enlisted flight crew-flight engineer or loadmaster on a heavy). The training can be used as college credit for some 4 yr degrees. May squeeze and A+P license out of it.
-Come back from mil training and go back to your airline.
-If you don't like it, quick your job and go back to school. The air guard pays for 100% of in state tuition. No future employer would bash you for quitting to get your degree. Get your 4 year degree and then go fly or try for a pilot slot at an air guard unit. The airline guys at a guard unit are great for recommendations.

If you think you can't handle the military, then you probably can't handle professional flying part 121/135. The FAA is more of a pain than being a military reservist.

Good Luck

Here's an option.
-Go get one of those 250 hr/25 multi jobs now.
-Go to training and IOE and fly for 6 months.
-Join an air national guard unit. $15,000 signing bonus. Take military leave from your company (they have to hold your job and retrain you). You may continue to accrue seniority. May continue with jumpseat privileges.
-Take a mil reserve job of your choosing (mechanic, avionics, enlisted flight crew-flight engineer or loadmaster on a heavy). The training can be used as college credit for some 4 yr degrees. May squeeze and A+P license out of it.
-Come back from mil training and go back to your airline.
-If you don't like it, quick your job and go back to school. The air guard pays for 100% of in state tuition. No future employer would bash you for quitting to get your degree. Get your 4 year degree and then go fly or try for a pilot slot at an air guard unit. The airline guys at a guard unit are great for recommendations.

If you think you can't handle the military, then you probably can't handle professional flying part 121/135. The FAA is more of a pain than being a military reservist.

Good Luck

Awesome advice. Thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back