Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Avtrchris

Alright guys need some advice,

Im currentlly enrolled in college for aviation, feeling like im wasting my time. My current plans now are to finish up my commercial, do ALL ATP's Mutli Engine 4 day deal, and start applying for some jobs. Now i know regionals were hiring with Commercial/Multi. Is this still the case? Im worried if I wait and continue college for the next 3 years the airlines wont be hiring and ill have a degree equivelant to under water basket weaving.

ANY AND ALL ADVICE is welcome

Thanks, Chris

Alright guys need some advice,

Im currentlly enrolled in college for aviation, feeling like im wasting my time. My current plans now are to finish up my commercial, do ALL ATP's Mutli Engine 4 day deal, and start applying for some jobs. Now i know regionals were hiring with Commercial/Multi. Is this still the case? Im worried if I wait and continue college for the next 3 years the airlines wont be hiring and ill have a degree equivelant to under water basket weaving.

ANY AND ALL ADVICE is welcome

Thanks, Chris

1st mistake was getting a degree in something aviation related....

graduate with a non aviation related degree, it's your insurance policy for the future. an aviation degree is about as practical as an art degree.

Get a degree. You can do it while working an airline job, but GET IT.

My plan is to go online after I get on with someone.

My questions are more based on How is hiring going right now? Can i get on somewhere like MESA or Lakes with only Commerical Multi?

I am currently a freshman at the University of Central Missouri and I am majoring in Flight Operations Management but I really just want to fly when I graduate. I am working on my commercial as well but to give you my view on things I am really in no rush to get hired without graduating. My plans are to become a CFI by next year and instruct the rest of my 3 years here and build up some experience. I believe the minimums at regionals in 3 years will still be under 1000/100 so here is my suggestion to you. If you enjoy college and have the finances than whats the rush to get hired on with a regional. Take it easy these next 3 years, have some fun, get a degree, and build up some experience and then you will be all that more prepared when you do hit the industry.

I see your point but and agree you can get a commuter job then finish your degree but note that many have said this but never do. they get on with so and so express then don't finish the degree then before they know it 10 or 20 years have gone and they are a commuter lifer.

Pre 911 non-degree commuter lifers had options like SWA/AWA/Airtran/JB/Sprirt and the large cargos like Atlas/Polar plus fracts like NJ/Flex/shares but post 911 these companies are able to hire more competively.

If your going to do it make sure you have the self motivation to carry thru.

good luck

Ok my question still is there........ARE REGIONALS STILL HIRING WITH COMMERICAL/MULTI? I dont really want to spend the money and time to get my CFI if i can get on with a regional now.

I split the difference, two years at a brick n mortar college, hired with the regional, finish bachelor's while flying the line, escaped the regionals before turning 26. YMMV. A little less parties and chicks, a little more seniority. I'm not sure which I'd choose if I again had the opportunity.

I am currently a freshman at the University of Central Missouri and I am majoring in Flight Operations Management but I really just want to fly when I graduate. I am working on my commercial as well but to give you my view on things I am really in no rush to get hired without graduating. My plans are to become a CFI by next year and instruct the rest of my 3 years here and build up some experience. I believe the minimums at regionals in 3 years will still be under 1000/100 so here is my suggestion to you. If you enjoy college and have the finances than whats the rush to get hired on with a regional. Take it easy these next 3 years, have some fun, get a degree, and build up some experience and then you will be all that more prepared when you do hit the industry.

Thanks for the reply, I HATE SCHOOL WITH A PASSION! But i know its something I need to get done.

I believe Trans States is hiring (unpublished) at 250/25. PSA is also hiring low time (comm/multi?). Check on www.airlinepilotcentral.com for published minimums and hiring info. Since you don't like school then I would suggest your plan...getting on and getting your degree on the side. I've thought about that and would do it if I hated college as well but not the case.
Posted Mins.
Great Lakes - Comm/multi
Piedmont - 300/40
Skyway - under 400/25

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back