• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

College Vs. Regionals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You have to decide on what you want to be a college graduate or a pilot. If is a pilot, you fly airplanes and build resume stuff. It will take approximately 10 years to get to a career position in aviation. You have to commit to the time frame to make it. If you elect after 5 years to get out of flying to pursue your major in college, you will be five years behind that year's college grads. To not fly and get a full 4 yr degree may be fun but it does nothing for your flying career. Now to get a degree on the side while you are flying, nothing wrong with that. However, the fallback value of a degree is greatly over rated. I have BS and a Master's in Management, but at age 53, I was making $250/wk loading cargo. After Zantop pretended to go out of went out of business in 1997, I had been a temporary High School Chemistry Teacher up until two weeks before the cargo job came along. However, they do not teach school in the summer so I had to take the cargo job. The value of an unused degree is highly over rated. 53 year old unemployed airline pilots are not eagerly greeted in any industry that I know of, even of having a couple degrees. Of course, I did not apply for many of the "College degree preferred jobs" such as apt manager, telephone direct sales, and plumbing floor manager at Home Depot, etc. If you get a college degree you have to use, the knowledge gained in college to develop a career or the degree is useless. After getting a degree, flying an airplane is not a knowledge expanding experience; it is skill development experience. Anyone care to chime in and share their experiences on entering the non-aviation job market after being out of college 20-30 years?

To each their own I suppose. I enjoyed my four years at school getting a non-aviation degree and I think the experience was invaluable in helping me mature. I'm not saying you can't be successful without a degree, nor is it the end-all measure of a persons intellect; but IMHO it is four years well spent. I do however agree with you, after a period of time following graduation the value of your degree fades away.

Attending college is not necessarily about procuring employment in a particular field. It also cultures and edifies your understanding of the world through a variety of disciplines.

One thing to consider is that you might lose your medical, get furloughed or decide that professional flying isnt for you. It might be difficult to earn a degree if you're a bit older and bogged down with a wife and kid, trying to obtain employment elsewhere. Get college out of the way now while you're still young and in learning mode. The regionals will always be hiring.

Latest resources

Back