• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

College Vs. Regionals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You will regret not having a "traditional" college experience down the line. Don't go to ERAU or UND or the like - those are for aviation NERDS. Go to a regular state school for low cost, major in something easy (pottery, sports science) so that you will have time to fly on the side and then learn to party hardy. Drink beer and have fun. Simple as that.

You will be employed by the time you get out and you will have fond memories that you can reflect upon during those long transcon flights down the line... If you don't have a degree, you will be reducing your airline options in the future if you wish to go that route. Get the degree in something fun/interesting and you will enjoy it more. But make sure to get your party on now - very important while you are young...

Go to school, and finish it now while you are at it. I didn't, and I wish I had. Now I have to go while I work, eventually. That is going to suck.

Lots of great advice here on this thread, a nice change and refreshing to see instead of constant nagging and complaining.

My 2 cents.

1: Get the degree as most everyone has said!! 2 year is O.K. but the 4 year is much better. "Good Insurance" as Boiler said.

2: Do not go to an aviation school, reason, you will spend way too much money!!!! Enroll in a local state school and get a common degree, Business, Marketing, or what ever interests you. You get the point. Find a good local Mom & Pop flight school who can take you through the gamut instrument, commercial, Multi. If you can get your CFI, It's good to have.

I am not saying that going to Daniel Webster, Purdue or Riddle is bad, but you will come out very much in debt!!! It does not matter where you got your credentials, but the fact you have them is what companies are looking for. Whether you got your ratings from Comair, Riddle, Purdue, or even Frick and Fraks aviation shack, it does not matter!!.

Good luck!!

Airline Driver said:
Whether you got your ratings from Comair, Riddle, Purdue, or even Frick and Fraks aviation shack, it does not matter!!.

This is very true, however the one major upside to a university program compared to a small FBO is networking.

I must also say that Purdue is not that expensive if you are an Indiana resident; the flight fees were and I'm sure still are quite reasonable for the level of training and aircraft the program utilizes. Of course my dumbass was from out-of-state...;)

Who cares what you major in and where you learn how to fly? Should be nobody but yourself. Study what you want to study but keep in mind how to make yourself marketable not only within THAT field but others that you might have an interest in as well...and take classes to that end.

I kick myself every day for not doing a management minor while in college; I was lazy when it came to "campus academics" then but it'd make that CPA much cheaper and easier for me to obtain now...

I have a degree in Finance from Auburn. I got my CFI after three years there then instructed my last two years (yup, crammed four years of college into five). I highly recommend it. Ever since I left Auburn I have been trying to figure out how to get back.

WAR EAGLE!

Alright guys need some advice,

Im currentlly enrolled in college for aviation, feeling like im wasting my time. My current plans now are to finish up my commercial, do ALL ATP's Mutli Engine 4 day deal, and start applying for some jobs. Now i know regionals were hiring with Commercial/Multi. Is this still the case? Im worried if I wait and continue college for the next 3 years the airlines wont be hiring and ill have a degree equivelant to under water basket weaving.

ANY AND ALL ADVICE is welcome

Thanks, Chris

Underwater basket weaving would be better than an aviation degree atleast there might be some women

You're a freshman in college.....so that makes you what, 18-19? I don't think any 121 carriers are hiring teenagers. Are they?

I believe Skywest is the only regional with age restrictions. And they want 1000 TT anyways. Lakes, TSA, Pinacle etc. all hire if your 18+

Latest resources

Back