• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CO Pilot Captain dies on takeoff

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My condolences to both his immediate family and his Continental family.

I ask that, out of respect for those he left behind, we only leave condolences on this thread. His friends and relatives could easily be reading this board.

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

I agree 100% nice post.

300+lb slobs......... who are an embarrasment to this profession.

Ya, well I may be fat but you are ugly and I can diet.

BTW can you post pictures of your "hot" mom?

RE: Average age of death for 121 pilot

I'm fairly sure a couple years ago there was an article in the ALPA magazine that quoted a study of retired FedEx pilots. For that particular group the average age of death was 65. Now obviously the lifestyle of a FedEx pilot may or may not be similar to say that of a Southwest guy, just depends on what kind of flying they do I suppose.

But one thing is for certain, in most people, this job will take years off of your life, how many exactly is hard to say and it certainly will vary from one pilot to the next.

All we can do is take the best care of ourselves that we can and try to eat right and exercise when we get a chance. But I'll be the first to admit that planning to do these things and actually doing these things rarely coincide.

Again my condolences to the pilot's family. It's so hard when you don't even get a chance to say goodbye. I can only hope that he died doing something that made him happy.

At least have the courtesy to wait for facts. :rolleyes:

Next time I'll wait for Miles O'brien's report on CNN, instead of relying on someone who actually knew the poor fellow and was in the same base/seat and had the official info from the CP's office.
If my facts are wrong, you are welcome to flame me.

My condolences to his family and friends.

I'm fairly sure a couple years ago there was an article in the ALPA magazine that quoted a study of retired FedEx pilots. For that particular group the average age of death was 65. Now obviously the lifestyle of a FedEx pilot may or may not be similar to say that of a Southwest guy, just depends on what kind of flying they do I suppose.

But one thing is for certain, in most people, this job will take years off of your life, how many exactly is hard to say and it certainly will vary from one pilot to the next.

All we can do is take the best care of ourselves that we can and try to eat right and exercise when we get a chance. But I'll be the first to admit that planning to do these things and actually doing these things rarely coincide.

It is my understanding as well that career airline pilots have shortened life expectancies. Taking it a little further, what do you think most of this is attributed to. Things like the sedentary nature, sleep cycles, stress, personality, poor diet, solar radiation, recycled air, partial pressure changes, etc.

It is my understanding as well that career airline pilots have shortened life expectancies. Taking it a little further, what do you think most of this is attributed to. Things like the sedentary nature, sleep cycles, stress, personality, poor diet, solar radiation, recycled air, partial pressure changes, etc.

I grew up on a cul-de-sac in So Cal.

My neighbors were this...
1. cop (smoker) 8 yrs younger than my dad. Now at 65, he is in real bad health.

2. cop (smoker) 5 yrs younger. DIED at age 64.
3. My dad. Pilot (non-smoker). 73 yrs old, holds a first class medical and still flies 737s.
4. Business owner (smoker). DIED at age 55.
5. Business man. (non-smoker). 7 yrs older than my dad. Plays golf everyday.
6. Business man. (smoker). 3 yrs younger. DIED at 69.

According to my unofficial study, being a pilot has nothing to do with early death, but smoking is a big factor.

I grew up on a cul-de-sac in So Cal.

My neighbors were this...
1. cop (smoker) 8 yrs younger than my dad. Now at 65, he is in real bad health.

2. cop (smoker) 5 yrs younger. DIED at age 64.
3. My dad. Pilot (non-smoker). 73 yrs old, holds a first class medical and still flies 737s.
4. Business owner (smoker). DIED at age 55.
5. Business man. (non-smoker). 7 yrs older than my dad. Plays golf everyday.
6. Business man. (smoker). 3 yrs younger. DIED at 69.

According to my unofficial study, being a pilot has nothing to do with early death, but smoking is a big factor.

Smoking is bad? Wow, nice work!

Allegedly the Japanese smoke like chimnies yet they have a longer live expectancy. Diet perhaps?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back