CO Pilot Captain dies on takeoff

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Prayers go out to the family.

Wouldn't a bad heart show up on an EKG during a medical?

No, not necessarily.

First off, an EKG is only once a year, and while the undrlying problem was there, it would not always manifest itself in a routine EKG.

The problem COULD have likely been seen on Stess Test, but we don't do those for a First Class Medical.

Naturally, this underscores the need for a routine "real" physical each year.

Remember folks, a First Class Medical is a government requirement. It's meant to meet the MINIMUM standard. Nothing more, nothing less.

And anyone who walks away with a new piece of paper every 6 or 12 months thinking they are fit are just kidding themselves.

Prayers go out to the family.

Wouldn't a bad heart show up on an EKG during a medical?

Not necessarily. At the overwieght 35 year old may live to 90 and an ironman triathlete may die at 30. There is no practical way to determine whether or not a pilot is really fit to fly. There are some obvious signs that can predict a problem, but to be sure, you would have to go through a battery of tests which wouldn't be practical. The first class medial is the best we've got.

Mod Input: To quote the CNN article. "The pilot's name was not released." Let's please keep it that way. That means no crew pairings, no names, etc. In respect for the families. RIP

His name has now been released and his family members were enroute to IAH soon after it happened. It was an IOE flight from IAH to PVR and the incident did NOT happen on takeoff. It was about 45 minutes into the flight, an emergency was declared, and they landed at McAllen.

He was a good man and a first rate aviator. He had stayed as a widebody FO for so long, in order to spend as much time at home as he could. He leaves behind a wife and two teenage sons.

Life is short, enjoy it while you can.

This is just speculation, but I bet those venda-matic cheese burgers we serve in coach that find their way up to cockpit doesn't help things.

What about the 35 year old overweight, out of shape pilots I've seen who look like they've never exercised a day in their lives. I've seen some who looked ready to collapse after the walk-around.

Age is by no means the controlling factor in health and fitness both mental and physical.
I am 35. I am 5'6" and weigh 265 pounds. I dont even try to keep my shirt tucked in and my pants cuffs are usuailly over my shoe heel to the point that I have worn holes in the cuff. Yes, I do get tired on the walk around. It is the worst at the left wing. Sometimes, after the walk around, I look at the jetway stairs and start to cry. But I tell myself "just one step at a time". I am thankful to the many rampers who have waited patiently behind me, or, in many cases, carried me up the stairs. But get me in the cockpit, let me put on my raybans, and look out baby! I am a swinging aviator! Would you like to shag now or later?

As for the death, I have known many 40-50 year olds in great shape who have died from massive heart attacks with no symptoms. My prayers are out to him and his family.

Last edited:
As for the death, I have known many 40-50 year olds in great shape who have died from massive heart attacks with no symptoms. My prayers are out to him and his family.

Yes. Some of it may be due to clogged pipes (arteries) which in turn cause the heart attack. The heart may be fine but if the pipes get clogged....that it is why cholesterol is a big deal. Cholesteral clogs the arteries (which can also be due to heredity). High blood pressure is another issue as well but this should be called out during the exam. There are tests out there to see if your arteries are clean but it may require you to be out of commission for a few days/weeks.
Sorry for his family and his friends.

Latest resources

Back