• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cheap pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Had a US$400 plus dollar bar tab the other night in Oslo. Bought rounds for FA's and the other first officer. It was night one of two over there and we blew it up pretty good. Don't regret it a bit. Not all of us are cheap.

IAHERJ

OK sorry, I'm calling B.S. on the one about the captain with 2 houses and a fleet of Corvettes. You're either exaggerating to make your story sound more fascinating, or the captain's wife is doing much better than he is. You just can't afford that kind of stuff on today's airline salaries. Gimme a break.

About the tipping hotel van drivers issue, not to be a d*ck, but you shouldn't have to pay anything at all when that kind of transportation is being done for your job. Your airline should cover that cost. And since they don't, who says you have to? It's like my boss making me go pick up lunch for him every day via shuttle, and me having to tip the shuttle driver on every run.

It's the plain truth.

Yes you can. Especially if you spend your money properly. Plus, if he is a senior CA, then he most likely paid his stuff off on his 300K salary seven years ago.

Personally, I don't tip drivers who are paid by our airline. Nor, do I tip drivers who tell me when to catch the morning van. I especially do not tip drivers who have a sign that says: "Our slarary depends on your tips".

Well, maybe I'm just cheap!

...Personally, I don't tip drivers who are paid by our airline. Nor, do I tip drivers who tell me when to catch the morning van. I especially do not tip drivers who have a sign that says: "Our slarary depends on your tips". And I never tip when my vagina is acting up.

Well, maybe I'm just cheap!

Q: What's the difference between a Pilot and a canoe?

I am pretty generous with tips (unless the service is really poor) My dad owned a small family restaurant and I know what the job is like.

I am pretty tired of hearing how "difficult" restuarant work is. Service industry folks make it sound like one night of work is harder than footing across the Sahara. Give me a break. You carry drinks, plates, and write down food people request. Not hard.

A few years ago I lived with this waitress. When she would get drunk, she would insist that servers deserved hourly rates upward of $70 an hour. She cited the difficulty of customers and lack of tips as her reason. Most of her career restauant cronies would chime in with their concurrence.

Last edited:
Well Russian, you're a charmer.

Back to the military debate, yeah, you're onto something about folks who have worked in a tipped position before being better tippers. It was just my experience that any given military background pilot was far less likely to have ever worked in such a position.

Also, the military doesn't lend itself to the tipping philosophy--there, you're supposed to simply do your job. Getting something extra for simply doing what you were supposed to do goes against the military grain, hence the fear and loathing of getting caught somewhere where you need to tip and don't want to.

I am pretty tired of hearing how "difficult" restuarant work is. Service industry folks make it sound like one night of work is harder than footing across the Sahara. Give me a break. You carry drinks, plates, and write down food people request. Not hard.

A few years ago I lived with this waitress. When she would get drunk, she would insist that servers deserved hourly rates upward of $70 an hour. She cited the difficulty of customers and lack of tips as her reason. Most of her career restauant cronies would chime in with their concurrence.

Are you aware that in Arizona, waitstaff make $2.10/hr? The law permits lower than minimum wage due to the FACT that waitstaff rely on tips.

I wonder how you feel about that? You the Dollar doesn't go as far in the US, as it does in the areas outside Moscow, right?

Are you aware that in Arizona, waitstaff make $2.10/hr? The law permits lower than minimum wage due to the FACT that waitstaff rely on tips.

I wonder how you feel about that? You the Dollar doesn't go as far in the US, as it does in the areas outside Moscow, right?

And that's my fault as the consumer? No, it's not. Could you do me a favor and tell them I said to stop b!tching and get me my refill.

Most wait staff make 1.5-2 times as much as regional FO's. Wait staff don't have to spend 6 years and 50K (at least) getting educated for their job. The dollar doesn't go any farther for us.

The world isn't fair. Wheres my iced tea?

I can't understand how some people can make 6 digits a year, but yet they can't afford to "live a normal life"? The most my wife and I ever made in one year was about 75K. We did all of the aforementioned things, and lived just fine. How is it that someone earning half again as much can't?

For people who live in California, especially near the coast, $75k/yr isn't much.

I can remember trying to get approved for a home loan when I was making about $75k. The bank told me they would approve me for a $210,000 loan. I replied that "you can't buy anything in this area for that kind of money". The loan officer shrugged her shoulders and said, "you're right". It was then that I realized that I would never be wealthy enough to live in my hometown.

In Detroit, $75k/yr might get you acceptable housing and quality of life. But, in many urban areas on both coasts that kind of money isn't much to live on.

GP

Radar lovin, are you so thick that you actually think that military people are completely removed from the free market economy? Do you really believe that once someone enters the military, Uncle Sam stores them in a closet for fear that they might go to a restaurant, hail a cab, take a shuttle to the airport, or otherwise take advantage of a service that American society has deemed tip-worthy? The fact of the matter is, when not in uniform defending your right to run your manpleaser, military people look and act just like you. Everyone has different backgrounds and there are cheap bastards that come from every one of them. For every military guy who doesn't tip, there is a civilian counterpart. For every civilian who tips 40% (as you obviously do) there is a military guy who matches it. Try to wrap yourself around the fact that people take different paths to the same result but in the end, we're all playing for the same team.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back