• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cheap pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But then again, perhaps I'm living in a bubble and all of the comments from military guys that say things like, "You have to tip them?" when I talk about a vacation with porters and guides.

I don't think it's because they are bad people, I just think the culture is such that many career military are not comfortable with the whole tipping thing.

Probably cause most people in the military don't take vacations where you have porters and guides. I'd probably be clueless as to what to do with them, too. The cab driver in Vegas or the waiter at Outback? Gee, ah, um, I was military so waiters and cabbies make me uncomfortable (despite the fact that I waited tables in high school when I was 16), which is probably just my military culture...maybe I can figure out some way to calculate a 20% tip without making me too uncomfortable. I've seen a lot of mil/civ stuff on this board, but your comments are the dumbest. Military people are uncomfortable tipping?? ROFLMAO.

Military people are uncomfortable tipping??

Yup. You're telling me your colleagues tip as much as you do when you're out to eat?

Ask a flight attendent some time. They often go back or secretly put down a couple extra bucks when a pilot picks up the crew's dinner tab.

Again, you were a waiter, so this doesn't apply to you, I'm sure you tip fine.

I usually tip about 15 - 20% depending on service. Just recently my family and I went out to one of those above average Pizza / Itallian joints. The waitress was extremely rude, as a matter of fact I was surprised to see a Russian in a Itallian Restaurant. She never greeted us, never smiled, would not come to the table to see how things were going etc, etc.....At one point my 4 yr old spilled his Coke and she just let another waiter clean it up.

I could not believe this was happening but I said nothing. Instead, I tipped her about $2.40 on a $45 bill. I really should not have given that much but I realized we enjoyed the food and would probably want to return.

About a week later we did return and my wife and I looked inside before entering to she if she was there. It was rather comical. I did not want anyone tampering with my food if you know what I mean...

Anyways, my point is very basic. Service people can either make or break a company. If she had been there we would have went somewhere else along with our money. So, next time you want to be cheap with the tipping think about the service you just received. If it was adequate then give the 15%, and if it was excellent then give more. If it was poor then its all fair game.

Just do us all a favor and stop living on the shoestrings of everyone else if your one of those CHEAPOS this post is about.

IMHO and i am about on one of the better tippers on the face of the earth for my age (21) if i got that lousy of service i think that was too nice of a tip for that. If they're gonna be that rude id be rude back, and when they learn that in that 1 hr of being with you they only made base pay (which is probably minimum, maybe not even more than that) they'll learn better not to do pull that stunt again

but thats my $.02

-Paul

So if the old lady an I go out to dinner and spend 60 bucks (not a very high amount nowadays) I am supposed to tip the guy 24 bucks???

Thats more per hour than 78% of the guys on the regional board make!

1) Yes.

2) That has nothing to do with tipping.

I guess the military has changed, or more likely it's impossible to make a valid generalization about so large and diverse a group of people.

My experience was that fighter pilots and navs were generous tippers. A guy who went on a cross country or tdy and sat in his room eating tuna out of a can was not respected by his peers.

So just because an FO is underpaid (as I hope we all can agree), that makes it correct that waitstaff who depend on their customers to earn a living must suffer too?

You see, the problem is that we're supposed to be a society that cares... We (in the West) were once called a "Christian" society, which isn't to say, Jews and Muslims aren't kind, as they also have examples of this in their culture... but the term was applied more in a general sense to mean "kind" or "caring"... Today it's all "me" and "I"

However you in my view represent the victory of your country of origins former doctrine.. that of a Godless communist world where dog eats dog and human kindness is considered anathema..

Peace out.

If we are a good "christian" society and we are supposed to care about people, then why is it we are in Iraq sticking our noses into another cultures' business when our "good christian" leaders can't seem to find a way to help out New Orleans? I'll tell ya - there's no money to be made by helping out those who had their homes destroyed and their lives ripped out from under them. Better to spend our resources on another Crusade than help our own people here at home, at least we'll get part of the revenue from all that oil, right!?!

We are using the word "christian" as a veil to cover up all the b.s. our so-called "leaders" are getting away with in order to horde more cash for themselves and their Haliburton friends. I wonder how much Cheney or good 'ol George tip.

It doesn't take a form of religion of any kind to make a person good or bad. But it sure seems that those with religious brainwashing are quick to point out other peoples faults but have trouble figuring out how to deal with there own.

1st overnight-
what business is it of yours with what someone else does with their money? It's not yours and you have no say about how it's spent! yes it's embarassing when our colegues don't step up, but what about my co-workers who walks around the airport with his airline id clipped to his shirt that is unbuttoned to his nipples,no epaulets, no tiw, no wings. Now THAT is embarassing.

Here's a question: should the amount of the tip be based on the price of the check, or on my own personal income?

The only drivers I don't tip are the ones who insist my F/A's, who take home $800 a month, give them a buck when they are taking home $2,000 a month to drive a van around town. You think pilots are under paid? The next time all you high-an-mighties out there get a chance, ask a regional f/a what she/he makes. Maybe you should give them a tip for having to put up with all your whining.

El Pobre-
I used to be a bellman at a local hotel chain in my home town and I would run crews to the airport every morning so I know what it's like to haul 40lb. crew bags into the back of a van up to ten times with a 5-persion crew. Back in the late '80's, and the $300k salaries, the standard tip was $1 a person, regardless of the number of bags, and it's still that way today. And if you want a ride somehwere OTHER than the aiport, it's a buck a person. If you feel the driver was genuinly sincere in response to a question or made you laugh or was extremely helpful in another way, then give $2.

If we are a good "christian" society and we are supposed to care about people, then why is it we are in Iraq sticking our noses into another cultures' business when our "good christian" leaders can't seem to find a way to help out New Orleans? I'll tell ya - there's no money to be made by helping out those who had their homes destroyed and their lives ripped out from under them. Better to spend our resources on another Crusade than help our own people here at home, at least we'll get part of the revenue from all that oil, right!?!

We are using the word "christian" as a veil to cover up all the b.s. our so-called "leaders" are getting away with in order to horde more cash for themselves and their Haliburton friends. I wonder how much Cheney or good 'ol George tip.

It doesn't take a form of religion of any kind to make a person good or bad. But it sure seems that those with religious brainwashing are quick to point out other peoples faults but have trouble figuring out how to deal with there own.

You're preaching to the quire on this one pal... I didn't mean to infer that we were indeed a true Christian society in the biblical sense (care for the poor, needy and downtrodden), just that we claim to be. I for one am a practicing Roman Catholic, and can honestly say I agree with my Church on most matters, but that my country has long since left true Christianity behind... todays Christians are hardly living up to the title... They are more interested in world domination, imposing their ways on the rest of the world, hating the rest of humanity and eradicating all opposition to the "American Way" which has long since become the way of the Corporations.

The only drivers I don't tip are the ones who insist my F/A's, who take home $800 a month, give them a buck when they are taking home $2,000 a month to drive a van around town. You think pilots are under paid? The next time all you high-an-mighties out there get a chance, ask a regional f/a what she/he makes. Maybe you should give them a tip for having to put up with all your whining.

Now we diverge a bit on this one..

Last time I checked, there weren't many F/A's that had a requirement for a university education and years of technical training with $100,000 ERAU student loans, or 9-12 years of military training or service to land their job. No, actually most of them were working at some other job (maybe the makeup counter at Macy's, or the local IHOP) and with in literally 3-5 weeks were trained up and on the line doing their job.. In the end the F/A position was never intended to be a career one, but just a temporary job for a young single woman... It evolved into this "profession" with the over unionization of the airlines where non-skilled workers began to equate themselves to pilots and mechanics with years of training and experience.

So you should be more upset with the fact that many Regional FO's take home less than an FA.. that's what should get your blood boiling.

Yup. You're telling me your colleagues tip as much as you do when you're out to eat?

Ask a flight attendent some time. They often go back or secretly put down a couple extra bucks when a pilot picks up the crew's dinner tab.

Again, you were a waiter, so this doesn't apply to you, I'm sure you tip fine.

You have to be the biggest retard I have seen on this board in almost a week. Take your generalizations about things you know NOTHING about and stick them you know where. "Oh, there were these 2 military guys who once...." Whatever.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back