• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cheap pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Also, the military doesn't lend itself to the tipping philosophy--there, you're supposed to simply do your job. Getting something extra for simply doing what you were supposed to do goes against the military grain, hence the fear and loathing of getting caught somewhere where you need to tip and don't want to.

That "something extra" is called PRIDE!! True, that may not pay the bills but I make plenty of money and live well within my meals (not cheap). It also gives me something that money never can.

I know most of you civilians wouldn't understand pride in your job, oh wait that would be a sweeping generalization like you have been doing on all your posts, I take that back!

If you really want to know who leaves bad tips just talk to any waiter/waitress that works in an area with a very broad cultural makeup. It would be inappropriate to post on here but there are worse groups than military people.

Ok. What do you generally tip? Have you ever left less than 15%? How recently?
20-25% min. if they do a good job? 15% if they get us our meals and not much else. Even less if they are just plain rude or gave shi#ty service.

You bet I have left less than 15% before. Good story of when I was back in college. A group of about 6 of my friends and I went to a "nicer" restaurant and were treated like crap. We were very respectful and did nothing to warrant being treated like we did. They could tell we weren't rich and they totally ignored us so we tipped accordingly. We had to ask five times over a 30 minute period to get a glass of water refilled. Finally, I went and grabbed a pitcher of water and refilled our glasses! Our waiter saw this and never even apologized. When we got the bill we all paid and my friend (a waiter himself who normally tips 30-35%, OMG a military person who tips....gasp) told my friend he would get the tip and that noone was to leave anything extra. He left a penny, so they waiter would know that we didn't just forget or the everyone thought someone else was getting the tip situation.

I have never used a coupon at a restaurant but if I did I would base my tip on the price before the discount.

As for military guys avoiding places where we have to tip, I don't think you fully understand what it is we do. As someone who is currently in pilot training I can tell you it is usually a race to get out of our flight suits and get to the bar! <-----Note: Tipping is always involved in these places. But your right we do try to avoid places to tip.

Last edited:
I think your experience is a little different, since you grew up in a tipping environment. I have yet to meet a single military pilot who ever worked in a tipped position. That's not to say that there aren't any, just that it's mighty rare. Civ guys that worked their way up the food chain seem to have a little more knowlege about why and how to tip.

Missed this one on the first post.

Your right I didn't work in a tipping environment. I paid my way through college by enlisting in the guard. I spent my extra time deploying to the desert.

Worst guy I ever saw was caught on hotel security camera dumping a bowl of candy into his bag. When presented with the evidence by hotel manager, he stated "I take it home for my kids". No sign of embarrassment. He reheats airline dinners on his iron in the room, and replaces burned out light bulbs from home with ones from hotel.

Yeah he was a legend in indoc. Heard he bought bread and cheese and made his own grilled cheese ala ironing board sandwiches. The lights though? Man that's hilarious.

When I first got hired, a long time ago, I flew with an old captain that brought his burned out light bulbs with him. He swapped with the hotel on layovers...now thats cheap!

Ok. What do you generally tip? Have you ever left less than 15%? How recently?

If you are using a coupon or receiving a discount, what amount do you tip on. Not what you're supposed to tip on, what do you tip on?

I generally tip 20%...even more if a bar is involved because it gets me my drinks faster. In Europe, I don't tip so much because it is included in the bill and it is not part of the culture. Since there are thousands of reserve, guard and ex-military pilots, I want to know how many have you flown with that lead you to make such a sweeping ignorant statement?

I generally tip 20%...even more if a bar is involved because it gets me my drinks faster. In Europe, I don't tip so much because it is included in the bill and it is not part of the culture. Since there are thousands of reserve, guard and ex-military pilots, I want to know how many have you flown with that lead you to make such a sweeping ignorant statement?

I have found more and more in Europe tipping is becoming normal.. at least I get the impression that they almost expect us Americans to tip because they know that's how we do things.. but you're correct, they're paid much better wages there and so the tip is not expected as it is here.

I have found more and more in Europe tipping is becoming normal.. at least I get the impression that they almost expect us Americans to tip because they know that's how we do things.. but you're correct, they're paid much better wages there and so the tip is not expected as it is here.

That is true. They seem to be expecting it from Americans now. When I lived there we would tip the change...couple DMs or Euros. Nothing near 20%. Heck, 16% of the bill was taxes which funds their 6-8 weeks of paid vacation each year and pension.

I don't give the van driver a dime, UNLESS he helps me with my bags.

Do I tip the van driver? No. But I go out of my way to load and unload my own bag. I guess I am cheap. If I am worn out don't want to load and unload my own bag and they offer I will and do tip. If the van driver takes me somewhere besides to and from the airport, they get a nice tip because it saved me a taxi ride and its not work related (or if they stop at a fast food joint on the way to the motel, etc.). Unlike wait staff van drivers are not paid $2.10 a hour. I really can't stand it when you get in the van and they have a cup full of ones, or a sign.

If I do not have enough cash to tip the waiter/waitress I do not go out to eat at a sit down type establishment. When I do go out I tip the standard 15-20%, to the penny usually. This is less and less of a problem these days, but back when I was making poverty level wages flying for a living I ate at home for this very reason.

Have I ever stiffed a waiter.... yes... but the service was pathetic. My dad use to leave half pennies if the service was bad (and I mean really really bad). Its quite sad actually, in todays day and age tips have become accepted, instead of earned. Its all part of the "Entitled Generation" problem. Its one thing if the service is bad and the manager comes to check on you and you say something and they do something to take care of you, but if they don't understand what customer service is, well then they do not belong in the service industry. (And yes I waited tabled in High School)

If I ever had a crew member order off the kids menu I think I would offer to buy them dinner, that just embarrassing. I mean, don't you have to be under 12 to order off that thing anyways?

Bottom line, I am on the road to make money, not spend it. However, that doesn't mean you can be a dirt bag just because you are not in your home town.

Last edited:
but take note of the newhire you're with this trip .. he's pretty good competition for this guy. He brought a suitcase of Kimchi to Helsinki so he can save money over there. Nice guy, but scary cheap; then with the money we're paid during year one, I can't say I blame him.
Yeah, come to think of it, I don't think I saw him spend a dime on anything during the trip. He was very excited about how "we get to eat so much food all the time" You are right, though, about him being a nice guy.

Latest resources

Back