CFI/II Lesson Plans

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ALIMBO

Well I started CFI/II school yesterday and I was wondering where I could get some premade lesson plans to help me make up my own? Thanks for the help guys.

I saw that already I was hoping to find some legit lesson plans already made up.

Pretty sure Jeppesen makes a spiral bound lesson plan book. I'd say getting the lesson plans themselves pre-made is alright; but, make your own notes! Don't take the easy way out with this certificate.

I made several large 3" binders going while going through all my CFI certs....particularly the initial. I spent many many nights up until 3am just typing away at the computer with a bunch of books in front of me for reference. It was a lot of work; but, it pays off. It impressed the you know what out of my fed examiner for the ride and the oral was relatively painless because of it.

Those binders will be something that I will always have...mainly for sentimental value. Too much work into those things to let anything happen to 'em.

Also just google "CFI lesson plans". It'll come back with a lot of hits and a lot of free stuff.

Find a template and useful information; but, do most of it yourself. It could take months to get all the information together and make all you're own lesson plans and notes. It did for me.

You said it to me yourself..."cfi sucks". Yes....yes it does. It's a lot of work; but, if you do it right it'll be a very rewarding feeling in the end and make you a much better CFI and pilot in the long run.

ALIMBO,

Keep searching you will find many examples of Lesson Plans.

I am glad to see that you are looking for examples of lesson plans to help you MAKE YOUR OWN. It is silly to re-invent the wheel but lMHO the key to a great Lesson Plan is to have the instructor search for and select what you need to teach for a lesson. Many aviation lesson plans are somewhat “canned” because the information is a building block based on what was previously learned.

A key to lesson plans is deciding “what do you want the student to be able accomplish at the end of the lesson” – then teach toward that goal. Remember that it is a plan - - sometimes it works as planned and sometimes it takes longer. The time doesn’t matter as long as the student “gets it” before moving on to the next lesson.

Work on deciding what your “Teaching Points” are. A teaching point is a specific point/action/trigger for an action or what ever point you want to make to show your student something you think is important. An example is to always have your student check their airspeed prior to selecting flaps (explain why this is Important) not just mid field down wind selecting flaps X (mid field down wind is also a teaching point as a place to do something – the point is the trigger to an action depending on several factors- you should explain this also).

Plan on working at least 4 hours on the lesson plan to complete each hour of a lesson. It will be more time when you first start lesson planning and less for a simple lesson like the first lesson.

Get a three ring binder and a three hole punch and make your Lesson Plan book. Fill your Lesson Plan book with examples, pictures, references or what ever you need to show an example of a point or to double check your memory when teaching. Add to the book as you edit your plans and find better examples or references. I carried my book to each lesson and taught directly from the book.

It is a lot of work but it will pay off when you begin to teach as you will be prepared for each lesson.

Last edited:
Alimbo,

Get on ebay and look up Lesson Plans. You will find a few guys who sell theirs for around 20 bucks with shipping. These lesson plans are well built and are shipped to you on CD. This way, you can tailor each individual lesson plan to you or your student's needs.

Here is the item number I purchased and was very happy with the product. I made my own years ago and misplaced them over several moves. You will be very happy with TangoJuliet's CD.

Good Luck.

Thanks for all the help. I just feel so overwhelmed being that I'm doin the CFII in 2 weeks and the CFI 2 weeks after that.

Pretty sure Jeppesen makes a spiral bound lesson plan book. I'd say getting the lesson plans themselves pre-made is alright; but, make your own notes! Don't take the easy way out with this certificate.

I made several large 3" binders going while going through all my CFI certs....particularly the initial. I spent many many nights up until 3am just typing away at the computer with a bunch of books in front of me for reference. It was a lot of work; but, it pays off. It impressed the you know what out of my fed examiner for the ride and the oral was relatively painless because of it.

Those binders will be something that I will always have...mainly for sentimental value. Too much work into those things to let anything happen to 'em.

Holy sheet! ...you too, huh?

When it came time to earn my CFI ratings, I pretty much did the same thing too.

ALIMBO, my advice is to pick up a copy of all the current PTS', the FAR/AIM and ALL of the FAA publications. You should then create a lesson plan for each required maneuver for the various certificates and ratings from what's stated in these guides.

I also took every possible written (FOI, CFI, CFII, AGI, BGI, IGI) before showing up to the CFI program.

You should have all your writtens and lesson plans completed before heading off to any accelerated program. You should also try and get comfortable from the right seat before arriving as well.

In the end, the examiner and other students were quite impressed with my knowledege and preparation.

This is a classic example of the me-now generation. Why invest the effort to develop one's own lesson plans, when one can scavenge someone else's work, instead?

You should be able to have a subject given you, and sit down on the spot and write up a lesson plan. This used to be part of the practical test. One is much more familiar with, and naturally inclined to be able to teach from a lesson plan one has personally developed.

Then again, you're a little too busy telling the world how to teach and critiquing what you don't even yet know and aren't qualified to perform, Alimbo...to lift a finger to help yourself. This much we have already seen. We can only pity the students who are subject to this immature mindlessness.

Latest resources

Back