• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFI/II Lesson Plans

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My initial CFI oral involved having 9 (niner) books open on the table. I ended up referencing each one. The lesson plans were involved, were written by me, and took all of 6 hours to put together. Well, 6 hours and a 12er of beer afterwards with my friends.

It was well worth it.

Wow, they let you do that? Wish I could have. I had to use my small nogging. That is cool, though. Kudos to you.

Well today's flight was fairly good. It seems that the flying isnt going to be an issue its the teaching.

Just verbalize everything you do as you perform the manevuers. If you make a mistake on the checkride, explain how that's an error a student may make and explain why it can happen. Just keep talkin...pointing things out.

Thats what I did and it was pretty smooth by talking it out loud I was able to fly better and recognize mistakes before they happened and right when they did. Your best critic is yourself they say. Its the damn ground I need work on. Once I can realize how to say the ******************** Im thinking in a logical manner Ill be set.

That's one of the trickiest parts of instructing. In essence, you have to dumb yourself down. It's important to remember that a particular concept or terminology may make perfect sense to you, but to a student who is just starting out it will sound like an opera performed backwards in Klingon.

Keep making eye contact with the student so that you can adapt quickly as soon as you see the "what the hell are you talking about" look.

When you start teaching private students, you'll see how overwhelmed a student is with even basic concepts. You don't have to teach rocket science the first few lessons. This will help foster your confidence and shape your abilities as an instructor.

No need to explain the complexity of something initially. It's important to keep the building blocks of learning in their proper order. Simple explanations should suffice. You should also ensure that they study, study, study. Too many students think it's all about throwing the controls around in the air and having a ball. Make sure you emphasize the ground aspect of training. Successful training begins with a sound knowledge of how to perform a manuever, including all of the effects and variables to consider.

Most of all keep the whole training aspect FUN!

Learning to fly should be a thrilling experience. Not too many people can fly a plane. You'll see how amazed and good a student feels when they begin to acquire some of the fundamental skills.

Remember, you might be able to hold altitiude and heading during windy conditions while copying ATIS or reading a map, but this is too overwhelming for the student. Early on, you'll need to pick up ATIS, make most of the calls, working the rudder during landing (there's always a x-wind) practice, etc., until the student can handle these things.

You don't want to intimidate students or make them think that flying requires some form of superhuman abilites. A lot of people think youve got to be a math and phsycis wizard, which is hardly true.

You need to also be a psychologist in a sense. A lot of students learn differently and it's your duty to figure out how the student learns best. Find out a little about who they are and what type of work they do. It's easier for them to understand concepts when you relate them to things within their own understanding.

The FOI may seem like a drag to read, but it really presents a very insightful window into how one can teach effectively.

It will take time but Im gettin the hang of it.

Last edited:
I cant believe people wanted me to do a flight today.

No thanks

KDPA 191516Z 01016KT 1SM -SN BR SCT007 OVC010 M01/M03 A2974 RMK AO2 P0000 RVRNO

KDPA 191130Z 1912/2012 06015G24KT 1SM -SN SCT006 OVC012 TEMPO 1912/1914 1/2SM SN VV004 FM191400 05015G24KT 3SM -SN SCT008 OVC020 TEMPO 1914/1916 1SM -SN FM191600 05015G24KT 5SM -SN SCT008 OVC020 FM191800 03012G20KT 6SM -SHSN SCT015 BKN025 OVC050 FM200000 04010KT P6SM SCT015 OVC025 FM200600 07007KT P6SM SCT020 BKN035

Latest resources

Back