• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFI/II Lesson Plans

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your condescending attitude and overwhelming desire to piss on everybody has grown old and boring. Welcome to my ignore list.

Shocked.

I'm not sure I've ever said anything condescending to you or anyone here or on the other board. The only time I have ever lashed out at anyone is when I have been offended or belittled by another poster. Even when I did that, I never considered myself better than any other aviator.

Lately, I have avoided confrontational conversation with everyone except the forum bullies. The fact that I point out that they are mistreating this guy and others does little to bring me close to what you describe me as being.

I am surprised you did not agree with my post. Especially since we are trying to move away from this kind of treatment. God forbid I should defend someone (a fellow pilot) who simply asked for help.

Sorry you feel this way.

Simple answer to your question. Find the most respected, knowlegable instructor you know. Then send your students to that person for instruction. The only way you are going to advance, and become a knowlegable professional is to do the work yourself. No shortcuts in aviation, at least none that will help you during crunch time.

Write your own lesson plans. You can use the "canned" stuff for reference but it always pays off to write your own. I took my CFI a "long" time ago and heard a rumor that certain examiners would really put a guy through the paces if he/she saw that the candidate had canned lesson plans. Yes, some examiners can spot those things out. I'm not saying write 'em up on parchment scroll using a quill (although if I was your examiner, I'd be impressed), but make your lesson plans simply that: yours.

Off topic but worth mentioning: I haven't given a single hour of dual instruction in almost 7 years yet I keep my CFI tickets current using any one of the online renewal methods. Am I a competent teacher being 7 years out of the loop? Not even close. Will I have to take the dreaded CFI ride should I ever decide to brush up and provide instruction? No way. Once, as you will see, is enough. :)

Best of luck on your new endeavour to teach others to fly. It's rewarding for some, but the paycheck for me was less than stellar (also applicable to nearly every facet of this industry).

S.G.

but the paycheck for me was less than stellar (also applicable to nearly every facet of this industry).

S.G.

This sentiment reminds me of something.

ALIMBO,

Read up on "Operation Lights On."

(Landing light on within 10 miles of the airport.)

You'll most likely deal with Chief Pilots who'll tell you NOT to use your landing light within the vicinity of the airport or practice area (during daylight hours), other than for the TO and landing segment.

Totally UNSAFE. For the paltry salary, it ain't worth complying with this one.

Also, as you go from student to instructor, you'll start to see the evils lurking within aviation maintenance practices. This isn't just an issue within the GA training realm, but encountered at all levels. When you start instructing, be very mindful of the airworthiness of the planes you're scheduled to take out. During down time, hang out with the maintenace guys and chat it up with them. You should also poke around some of the planes in the hanger and learn as much of the mechanical aspects of the schools operations. Don't be surprised to see how much corners get cut in terms of cheap or illegal parts and pen-whipping. One place I worked at had these really incompetent H.S. kids as A&P's. They barely knew what they were doing.

Write your own lesson plans. You can use the "canned" stuff for reference but it always pays off to write your own. I took my CFI a "long" time ago and heard a rumor that certain examiners would really put a guy through the paces if he/she saw that the candidate had canned lesson plans. Yes, some examiners can spot those things out. I'm not saying write 'em up on parchment scroll using a quill (although if I was your examiner, I'd be impressed), but make your lesson plans simply that: yours.

Off topic but worth mentioning: I haven't given a single hour of dual instruction in almost 7 years yet I keep my CFI tickets current using any one of the online renewal methods. Am I a competent teacher being 7 years out of the loop? Not even close. Will I have to take the dreaded CFI ride should I ever decide to brush up and provide instruction? No way. Once, as you will see, is enough. :)

Best of luck on your new endeavour to teach others to fly. It's rewarding for some, but the paycheck for me was less than stellar (also applicable to nearly every facet of this industry).

S.G.
Excellent post.

The landing light stays on alot of the time for me. A bulb isnt nearly as much as my lifes worth. Thats how I plan on teaching to the student too. I seem to be feeling less stressed too maybe its just because I'm falling into the loop of this school.

Simple answer to your question. Find the most respected, knowlegable instructor you know. Then send your students to that person for instruction. The only way you are going to advance, and become a knowlegable professional is to do the work yourself. No shortcuts in aviation, at least none that will help you during crunch time.

Seriously? Come on. I used a Cessna, or Jepp book initially to get my information because it is nicely condensed and specific to what you need to know. That is more than enough to get you started. As you progress you can delve into the finer points of every obscure FAA circular. Same thing with canned lesson plans. There are some very good instructors who have used their years of experience to produce a product that is successful in teaching people how to fly. Use their outline and technicques to find your own unique teaching style.
The first couple times you are with a student you will be thinking it impossible to get them to do the walk around let alone land. By second and third student it will start to come together. Not because you don't know your stuff, but because it is something you just have to do to become good at. It was the same for everybody on here and it would not matter if you memorized every tidbit of information in every manual. Some of the worst instructors are the know it alls. Some guys on here just like to make it sound like we are sending off a shuttle mission. Why reinvent the wheel.

The best word of wisdom on here is once you get it, do not let your CFI expire. Mine has lapsed twice!!

Last edited:
My lesson plans are slowly coming together its just being able to teach them in the plane now. I only have 10 hours of flight time thats counting the check rides too. I still need to get the spin endorsement also.

Latest resources

Back