• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFI/II Lesson Plans

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My initial CFI oral involved having 9 (niner) books open on the table. I ended up referencing each one. The lesson plans were involved, were written by me, and took all of 6 hours to put together. Well, 6 hours and a 12er of beer afterwards with my friends.

It was well worth it.

Basically what should you teach first. I was thinking basic aerodynamcis and then flying to reinforce that oral lesson? Thoughts

I think the first thing MY intructor taught me was the four cycles of a piston engine: suck, squeeze, bang, blow.....From that moment on I knew I was destined to be a pilot.

me an him dont get along he gets off to starting crap with ppl

The International Standard Aviation language IS ENGLISH. How do you plan to communicate with your students if you can’t speak ENGLISH? If you want to teach aviation you must know the requirements for certification. I’m not sure you are worth my time yet (since this is free Distance Learning for you) so please answer this question:

Riddle me this: What is the US Aviation English requirement and where do you find it? You must have learned this to have any FAA certificate.

Folks, please let him do this on his own. If he can’t find a simple requirement, how will he ever ensure that his students are prepared?

My biggest concern is where to start with a new ppl student. Basically what should you teach first. I was thinking basic aerodynamcis and then flying to reinforce that oral lesson? Thoughts

When I was first hired on as a green instructor, the only flights I did were covering for other instructors with students who were either close to solo, had already soloed or were certificated and needed a checkout. This made the teaching transition easier as the student already had some of the basics down. You just needed to point out this or that without being insecure about how well you're teaching this student from scratch.

Starting out, I also did a lot of intro flights as well. The school would set up instructors with the intro students and you'd take them up for 30 minutes or so and show them some basics. If the student continued the training, they were your student. It was up to you to keep up with them, making sure they flew and help secure financing if necessary.

Avbug may come across a little cantankerous, but he's fairly wise and experienced. You'll learn more by listening, rather than insulting him. Call it tough love. Understand that you come across a little arrogant around here and thats only natural. A lot of young aspiring pilots fit this mould. Some of what you get from Avbug or anyone else is a form of hazing of sorts. Most of what he says is for your own good though.

The International Standard Aviation language IS ENGLISH. How do you plan to communicate with your students if you can’t speak ENGLISH? If you want to teach aviation you must know the requirements for certification. I’m not sure you are worth my time yet (since this is free Distance Learning for you) so please answer this question:

Riddle me this: What is the US Aviation English requirement and where do you find it? You must have learned this to have any FAA certificate.

Folks, please let him do this on his own. If he can’t find a simple requirement, how will he ever ensure that his students are prepared?

We are on a forum chill out. As for your question I have no clue. It's obviously not a big deal if the 6 or so instructors I've had never told me about it. On top of it if you don't wana give me advice thats fine you won't see me cry about it. Speaking english and writing on a forum are 2 different things. But if it makes you feel better to point out miniscule grammer mistakes then by all means go for it.

When I was first hired on as a green instructor, the only flights I did were covering for other instructors with students who were either close to solo, had already soloed or were certificated and needed a checkout. This made the teaching transition easier as the student already had some of the basics down. You just needed to point out this or that without being insecure about how well you're teaching this student from scratch.

Starting out, I also did a lot of intro flights as well. The school would set up instructors with the intro students and you'd take them up for 30 minutes or so and show them some basics. If the student continued the training, they were your student. It was up to you to keep up with them, making sure they flew and help secure financing if necessary.

Avbug may come across a little cantankerous, but he's fairly wise and experienced. You'll learn more by listening, rather than insulting him. Call it tough love. Understand that you come across a little arrogant around here and thats only natural. A lot of young aspiring pilots fit this mould. Some of what you get from Avbug or anyone else is a form of hazing of sorts. Most of what he says is for your own good though.

Thanks amish ya that would be so nice if I got to instruct the same way you did. The way my luck runs I wont have that. I'm going to get stuck with some poor PPL student that deserves better instruction than I can give. This is how I look at it. Today I landed from the right seat for pretty much the first time. I did decent the plane is still in one piece it was just a tad bit of a flat landing. But the intructor let me take it down all they way and guess what? I learned alot from that landing. But as a new CFI I know there is going to be a new PPL person that will scare me and I will take control because I'm not comfortable with how its lookin. But when you learn how to land you need that rough one or two landings to see what not to do. Ugh I'm so stressed.

I'm going to get stuck with some poor PPL student that deserves better instruction than I can give.
No, some poor student may be stuck with you, and yes, the poor student does deserve better. You're right about that.

Ugh I'm so stressed.
Clearly. An admirable trait in a pilot.

As for your question I have no clue.
Again, this much is obvious.

It's obviously not a big deal if the 6 or so instructors I've had never told me about it.
Ah, well then. You've already learned everything, haven't you? If your six instructors didn't tell you, then you'll never need to know it. You've already been told everything you need to know, and if it hasn't been spoon-fed to you by these icons of aviation, then you really don't need to know it.

God help you if you ever fly anything more complex than a Cessna.

The learning process doesn't end with your six instructors. You're going to find yourself, if you last long enough, a student 20 years from now. I flew a 9 hour leg last night and learned before we started engines, and learned after we shut them down. If you think you know all you need to know based on what your six instructors told you, then you have a loud, very rude awakening coming. Get ready.

So far you've professed your knowledge of what's right or wrong with others instructing techniques (even started a thread about it, criticizing others), rambled about not needing to know anything your instructors haven't already told you, and in my case, wished I'd die and that my friends would die in airplane crashes...and you've managed to get one landing in from the right seat as a novice. How expert of you.

If you're seriously looking at becoming a flight instructor, where you lead by example, it's time to grow up, act a little more mature than a pissed off 14 year old, learn to behave professionally, and realize that you've got a LOT to learn.

People in this thread have taken the time to help you, and like most of your posts so far, you're too busy arguing to take what's given you and use it for your benefit. It's sometimes true that one can't give a drowning child a rope or a glass of water.

In the event you are not aware: you're the drowning child. Grow up, get out of the water and dry off. You're not in grade school any more.

Last edited:
Avbug,

You are the one that started the bashing here. This guy came on here looking for advice and you started beating him down. We have all been in his shoes. I know that I was nervous starting my CFI. Offer some good advice instead of bashing someone. These new CFI's might listen to you more. You seem to have a lot of knowledge that could be helpful to a new guy if it was presented better.

Latest resources

Back