Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

atlcrashpad

Can't hold me down
I surf the internet during my spare time (a lot lately, since two surgeries on back). I ran across a web site that has quite a few pilot resumes. I was surprised at the number of pilots that are totally full of crap when it comes to their time.

Come on, one guy claimed to have 4320 TT and 4267 of it PIC. I'll do the math for you, that's 53 hours of dual and or sic. He also claims to be a commercial rated pilot with multi engine rating. Now, that is some pilot to only have 53 hours dual to reach FAA Commercial standards.

Other's claim to have graduated from aviation universities and been chief pilot(s) for every company that they have ever worked for. Guys, this is why your resumes are not getting calls. You are full of SH*T and it shows.

Just checked my logbook. Last I added up I had 1594.7 TT and 1528.9 PIC. That's 65.8 hours difference. I don't see how 53 hours is so impossible? It takes 40 hours to get a PPL, 10 of which is solo PIC. So that leaves 30 hours of dual so far. Everything after a PPL is logged PIC even if it's dual. One expection is the multi. There's another 10 hours or so dual. So far that's a difference of 40 hours. I never logged my complex time before I had a complex endorsement (even though there's the whole arguement of acting pic and logging pic, I felt it best to just let it go and not log pic). So there's another 10 hours or so, even though you supposedly CAN log it PIC. Then there's the high performance dual before getting the high performance endorsement (again even though you can supposedly log it PIC, I didn't).

So I'm still not getting why this difference of 53 hours is so unbelievable. If you ask me, I say this guy is pretty good.

That ratio of time and instruction received is probably quite correct. I show more total time in my log, but probably close to the same amount of instruction received.

My instruction received, PIC, and SIC add to equal total time. If I've been receiving instruction at a time when it could also be logged as either PIC or SIC, it's reflected as PIC or SIC, and doesn't show up in the instruction received totals, though it shows on the page where it was logged.

This makes accounting for time a lot easier. Showing relatively little instruction received as it's own category, as time that can't be logged any other way, is appropriate.

The poster who started the thread, however, is merely flame bait, looking for arguement. Forget it.

avbug said:
That ratio of time and instruction received is probably quite correct. I show more total time in my log, but probably close to the same amount of instruction received.

My instruction received, PIC, and SIC add to equal total time. If I've been receiving instruction at a time when it could also be logged as either PIC or SIC, it's reflected as PIC or SIC, and doesn't show up in the instruction received totals, though it shows on the page where it was logged.

This makes accounting for time a lot easier. Showing relatively little instruction received as it's own category, as time that can't be logged any other way, is appropriate.

The poster who started the thread, however, is merely flame bait, looking for arguement. Forget it.

Avbug,

Off topic question. Do you have any time in the 0-480 powered Pilatus PC-6 or know anything about them? Im thinking of using one in skydiving ops. Any info you can share would be great. Thanks

The poster who started the thread, however, is merely flame bait, looking for arguement. Forget it.[/quote]

Avbug,

It wasn't flame bait. It was serious. Most people take more than the FAA part 61 minimums. Saying that you have X number of hours and only a small (minimum) number of either dual and/or SIC is B.S.

At my airline we see thousands of resumes. I'm not in the hiring dept, however, I have a lot of friends there. They see right through the BS resumes. I was merely pointing out that might be the reason those not getting any calls back might want to relook their resumes.

I've got my 121 Capt position. My resume shows PIC, SIC, dual recieved and Co-Pilot (PI) time from my early days in the Army.

I also don't put Chief Pilot on my resume if it is a Single Pilot operation. Chief of what? Myself?

Last edited:
Nearly all of my dual received after PPL has been logged as dual received... and pilot in command (as I was the sole manipulator of the controls).

...so tell me what the total time vs PIC breakdown should be for a 4000 hour CFI? (as an example).

a&p said:
Just checked my logbook. Last I added up I had 1594.7 TT and 1528.9 PIC. That's 65.8 hours difference. I don't see how 53 hours is so impossible? It takes 40 hours to get a PPL, 10 of which is solo PIC. So that leaves 30 hours of dual so far. Everything after a PPL is logged PIC even if it's dual. One expection is the multi. There's another 10 hours or so dual. So far that's a difference of 40 hours. I never logged my complex time before I had a complex endorsement (even though there's the whole arguement of acting pic and logging pic, I felt it best to just let it go and not log pic). So there's another 10 hours or so, even though you supposedly CAN log it PIC. Then there's the high performance dual before getting the high performance endorsement (again even though you can supposedly log it PIC, I didn't).

So I'm still not getting why this difference of 53 hours is so unbelievable. If you ask me, I say this guy is pretty good.

A&P CFI Guy,

1500TT and 65 dual, not off the mark. The guy I'm talking about claims to have 4320TT and 4267 PIC. He is either Rich, Full of crap or one Lucky Bastard to get a PIC gig straight out of the chute. On this resume in question, there is time at a "Commuter" airline and I know of no airline that hires PIC's with no previous 121 time. In fact almost no chance of that happening. Even though my carrier "Junior Manned" guys to captain. Most were 135 or 121 experienced.

Last edited:
atl....you don't get it do you? Everything after your private is PIC, unless your flying a plane requiring two pilots. Not all of us spent years raising and lowering the flaps. Believe it or not, some of us don't want to fly for the airlines.

Straight from FAR Part 61.51

(e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time. (1) A sport, recreational, private, or commercial pilot may log pilot-in-command time only for that flight time during which that person—
(i) Is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated or has privileges;
(ii) Is the sole occupant of the aircraft; or
(iii) Except for a recreational pilot, is acting as pilot in command of an aircraft on which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is conducted.

I doubt that after your PPL was issued and you took more training or Bi annuals that you held the controls 100% of the time. The CFI had to take the controls for at least a demo.

CFI's are the exception, but I refered to guys who were claiming 121 or 135 time. Either way, there are exceptions and if you can justify it go ahead. If not be prepared to answer during your interview for questionable time.

(3) An authorized instructor may log as pilot-in-command time all flight time while acting as an authorized instructor.

Latest resources

Back