• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

breaking into the corparate market?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Will the media show up at your house if you have an accident in a corporate jet? I'm sure they were at the Renslow house, the Sullenberger house, the Skiles house, and the houses of the Northwest pilots. Perhaps that is part of the stress the 121 guys are talking about. Certainly a corporate pilot's family wouldn't have to deal with that situation.

The common association in 121 is that compensation is concurrent with responsibility for a certain number of lives. It's just the way it's done there and doesn't translate to corporate flying. From my personal experience corporate flying is much more demanding because you don't have the support network or the consistency of 121. The fact that in Part 121 the FAA can jumpseat at any time, a line check can happen at any time, and you can be pulled off line at a whim makes the accountability question moot.

How in the world could you possible come to that conclusion? The stakes are higher? Sitting in your cockpit while the gate agents and flight attendants load 150+ "lives" is more stressful then flying a few people who know you by your first name and hold you personally responsible if EVERYTHING isn't perfect about their flight?

After your city bus is filled with self-loading cargo that is happy they saved three dollars on their ticket and could not care less if a retarded monkey was flying their airplane, you get to lock yourself behind the cockpit door and hide behind your union contract if you screw up.

Are you just another airline guy who doesn't get it?

Quit being so damn sensitive and learn to read. I already said it was a poor example, but since you brought it up again I stand by the concept. Landing an airliner in crappy conditions is just a bit different than doing the same thing in a corporate jet. I know your fragile little ego will never accept that. Tough.

To everybody else involved in this thread, I know it takes a different skillset to be a corporate pilot than it does to be an airline pilot. A low time corporate pilot is more competitive for a corporate job than a low time airline guy is. I get that, but at some point experience has to trump type ratings. A high time corporate pilot should have a reasonable shot a getting a job with a major airline and a high time airline pilot should have a reasonable shot at getting a good corporate job. Neither should have to start out at the bottom again. Even though there are differences their experience should allow them to transition to a new kind of flying without much difficulty. You may disagree with my premise, but anybody trying to read more into my posts than that simple point is missing the point. I wasn't trying to insult anybody.

Will the media show up at your house if you have an accident in a corporate jet? I'm sure they were at the Renslow house, the Sullenberger house, the Skiles house, and the houses of the Northwest pilots. Perhaps that is part of the stress the 121 guys are talking about. Certainly a corporate pilot's family wouldn't have to deal with that situation.

The common association in 121 is that compensation is concurrent with responsibility for a certain number of lives. It's just the way it's done there and doesn't translate to corporate flying. From my personal experience corporate flying is much more demanding because you don't have the support network or the consistency of 121. The fact that in Part 121 the FAA can jumpseat at any time, a line check can happen at any time, and you can be pulled off line at a whim makes the accountability question moot.

really? so the media would care about a CEO of a major corporation, Senator, Governor, Celebrity etc... on board.

I know your fragile little ego will never accept that. Tough.

I'm sure it takes a larger, much more resilient ego to fly the "big" jets than it does to fly the little jets I fly... Another reason I'm glad I stayed in this segment of the industry.

I'm not an airline guy, so I can't speak to how "different" it is flying an airliner. Personally, I don't factor who, how many or even if any people are in the back when I make decisions. I take care of myself and everything / everybody behind me will be fine. Most airline pilots I know say the same thing.

Or by different, did you mean big jets are harder to fly? That may be the case, I don't know...

Yes, good ole' Sully really seems stressed with all this media attention, I bet its hard to fight through the cameras to make it on time for the book signing or the Morning shows.

I'm sure it takes a larger, much more resilient ego to fly the "big" jets than it does to fly the little jets I fly... Another reason I'm glad I stayed in this segment of the industry.

I'm not an airline guy, so I can't speak to how "different" it is flying an airliner. Personally, I don't factor who, how many or even if any people are in the back when I make decisions. I take care of myself and everything / everybody behind me will be fine. Most airline pilots I know say the same thing.

Or by different, did you mean big jets are harder to fly? That may be the case, I don't know...

Dude, let it go. You're reading an insult that's not there.

Landing an airliner in crappy conditions is just a bit different than doing the same thing in a corporate jet. I know your fragile little ego will never accept that. Tough.

Now THIS ya gotta expand on Ace....

Usually the FI.com limit for incredibly f'n stupid statements is 2/day.

Your quota has been met!

:)

Last edited:
Dude, let it go. You're reading an insult that's not there.

I actually counted two insults in your post. One about my ability to read and one about the strength and size of my ego... But I am now bored with FI and your advice is good. I will let it go and move on the other things...

Caveman-

I tried to throw you a line, but you're on your own now. I don't understand why you are trying to say that flying an airliner in crappy conditions is harder than a small jet. When was the last time you shot an approach to mins at a non towered airport in timbucktoo. My guess is not very often. You probably have your quota of straight in ILS's to 10k foot runways. You probably don't want to get in a shouting match about which job is more challenging.

Latest resources

Back