• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

breaking into the corparate market?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Someone asks for some guidance and all you guys do is take shots at him for being a former airline guy. Why the hostility? The airlines have no problem hiring corporate pilots. Why do corporate pilots think they do something special? Flying is flying.

frankly, being responsible for 150+ lives and $65 million dollars worth of airplane is more stressful than 5 lives and a corporate jet.

Or how about 1 or 2 lives that are worth $3BIL in a $50 mil dollar small jet....really, whats the point here?

Having hired a few airline guys into Part 91 departments, I'd be hard pressed EVER to do it again - unless they are very well known. The 2 just rarely mix well. Flying may be flying (as you say)... but flying is just a small part of a typical 91 corp operation.

Last edited:
why the "hostility" you ask, maybe because most corporate guys work a long time to get a good corporate job. Just because you get laid off from the airlines doesn't' mean you go to the front of the line for corporate jobs. Next time the airlines hire I want to get picked first for a job, even though I am a corporate pilot. :)

Or maybe these corporate pilots remember the last time they had to work with a former airline pilot....

It's kind of a worthless argument that never really goes anywhere. Look, he is probably a regional pilot that has his own definition of "major airline" and now he is "Chief" pilot of a one pilot Seneca. Now he wants to better himself. So what?

...or maybe he just stopped by to stir the pot a little

Gulfstream 200;1914499 Having hired a few airline guys into Part 91 departments said:
This is a ridiculous, ignorant statement. I know a few that transitioned quite well from 121 to 91, including myself.

Curiosity, what is the big part of a typical 91 corp operation for pilots?

I call BS on the OT. You can start by spelling "Corporate" correctly. It will make your resume/cover letter look better.

This is a ridiculous, ignorant statement. I know a few that transitioned quite well from 121 to 91, including myself.

Curiosity, what is the big part of a typical 91 corp operation for pilots?

Oh, I know a few who have done so just fine also....but know many who have not.

Customer Service - maybe its just a coincidence, but the last handful of airline guys I worked with really never grasped the concept.

Checking an ex-121 guy out as a PIC....(a few of our aircraft had one lav) Upon servicing during an out and back, lav is dripping and cant be filled without running all over...answer..."Tell pax its inop"....its a 4.5 hr ride home. We have 3 hrs on ground and mx avail...

"Tell pax its inop?" - like...hang a sign on the door and tell them to hold it as we wait for a gate? I know for a fact our passenger would have walked off and demanded a charter asap. FWIW we got it fixed before pax came by a few simple phone calls home.

Just one of many examples - but I have seen enough 121 Customer Service for now. I know its a case by case basis, airline or not...maybe I just got a bad streak.

All I'm saying is I would have to really know the guy prior to taking on another 121 addition. Thats all...and thanks, for now I'll take being ignorant over putting the work into breaking the habits. Just dont have the patience anymore.

Just my .02 - the airline-corp debate can go on forever.

Last edited:
Oh, I know a few who have done so just fine also....but know many who have not.

Customer Service - maybe its just a coincidence, but the last handful of airline guys I worked with really never grasped the concept.

Checking an ex-121 guy out as a PIC....(a few of our aircraft had one lav) Upon servicing during an out and back, lav is dripping and cant be filled without running all over...answer..."Tell pax its inop"....its a 4.5 hr ride home. We have 3 hrs on ground and mx avail...

"Tell pax its inop?" - like...hang a sign on the door and tell them to hold it as we wait for a gate? I know for a fact our passenger would have walked off and demanded a charter asap. FWIW we got it fixed before pax came by a few simple phone calls home.

Just one of many examples - but I have seen enough 121 Customer Service for now. I know its a case by case basis, airline or not...maybe I just got a bad streak.

All I'm saying is I would have to really know the guy prior to taking on another 121 addition. Thats all...and thanks, for now I'll take being ignorant over putting the work into breaking the habits. Just dont have the patience anymore.

Just my .02 - the airline-corp debate can go on forever.

Well said, as usual.

It has also been my experience that most 121 guys lack the ability to think outside the box to get a job done. When you pay for a $50 mil jet, you expect certain things...and rightfully so. It is a little different than paying for a $150 ticket.

On the other hand, it's not really their fault. Due to their day-to-day jobs, they are conditioned to be this way. It is the union mentality.

my .02

Or how about 1 or 2 lives that are worth $3BIL in a $50 mil dollar small jet....really, whats the point here?

No point really. I was just trying to highlight a minor difference between corporate and airline flying. It was a poor example. I never intended it to be a mine is bigger than yours argument. Sorry it came across that way.

frankly, being responsible for 150+ lives and $65 million dollars worth of airplane is more stressful than 5 lives and a corporate jet. ... Dead is dead, but the stakes are higher.

How in the world could you possible come to that conclusion? The stakes are higher? Sitting in your cockpit while the gate agents and flight attendants load 150+ "lives" is more stressful then flying a few people who know you by your first name and hold you personally responsible if EVERYTHING isn't perfect about their flight?

After your city bus is filled with self-loading cargo that is happy they saved three dollars on their ticket and could not care less if a retarded monkey was flying their airplane, you get to lock yourself behind the cockpit door and hide behind your union contract if you screw up.

Are you just another airline guy who doesn't get it?

Caveman-

Don't sweat it. In full disclosure, I am actually envious of many of the aspects of 121 flying. There have been more than a few days I have wanted to just go to the front and lock the door, have my flight plan and maifest handed to me, and never have to speak to a passenger. I also think a schedule would be nice for once in my life. But it has never been an option for me.

Latest resources

Back