• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bogus pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
descent blew the MMO horn all the time then pulled the levers to idle, threw out the speed brakes till it stopped and then would do it all over again in a few minutes

Sure there wasn't a trace of gas in the ventral blowing that horn? I learned my lesson the hard way about that!:laugh:

Found it ...

"On March 10, 1966, Major Bernard F. Fisher took off in an A-1E Skyraider from Pleiku, South Vietnam, to fly a routine bombing and strafing mission. Soon after taking off, he was diverted to Ashau, where a Special Forces camp was under heavy attack by 2,000 North Vietnamese troops.

Arriving over the area. Major Fisher found four Skyraiders. which had also been diverted, circling over a dense cloud cover. He led his wing man and two of the other A-1Es down through a hole in the overcast. As they flew down a valley leading to the camp. the pilots were informed that it was being overrun by the enemy.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The A-1Es were making strafing runs against the attacking troops when one of the aircraft was hit by ground fire. The pilot crash landed on the airstrip at the camp, and ran from his burning plane to seek refuge down an embankment. With enemy troops all around him, it appeared certain that he would be captured before a rescue helicopter could reach him. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Major Fisher, quickly realizing his fellow pilot's predicament, made a perilous landing on the airstrip. The steel planking runway was torn up and littered with debris. As he taxied under fire, Major Fisher saw the downed pilot dashing from his hiding place. The A-1E stopped and he clambered aboard. Dodging shell holes and debris, Major Fisher took off safely despite many hits on his aircraft by small arms fire. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Medal of Honor, awarded to Major Fisher for this daring rescue, was presented to him by President Lyndon B. Johnson at the White House March, 19, 1967. "[/FONT]

Last edited:
One time this guy told me about flying F-14s in the Navy (went to Top Gun, too) and all the Mig-28s he shot down...

AerroMatt said:
....He claimed he got the Bronze Star for landing his Phantom on a dirt road in Vietnam to pick up his wingman who'd been shot down and returned him safely to base! My BS detector was redlined on that one!

An Air Force pilot won the CMH for doing that, but he was flying an A-1E Spad, not a Rhino. The poser should have paid closer attention when he was watching the military channel.

JimNtexas said:
An Air Force pilot won the CMH for doing that, but he was flying an A-1E Spad, not a Rhino. The poser should have paid closer attention when he was watching the military channel.

Con-Pilot, Snakum and Jim...

Thank you for your replies. I believe that clears things up. This poser decided to pretend he was the hero, and embellished on a REAL Hero's record. But I guess you gotta always make it more fantastic than reality. Too bad. It only belittles the character of the poser once he's exposed for what he is.

BTW, its been a few years, but now as I recall this guy did claim a CMH instead of Bronze Star for said incident in an F4 on a dirt road. See how I am? I erred on the side of caution because I didn't want to exagerrate this poser's tale!

learflyer,

No it wasn't the ventral tank. You know how well the Hawker descends, he would lower the nose, leave the levers up, very quickly we would be closing in on the the barber pole (kinda weird how that all happens, every time, huh?) and then the horn would go off. At that time he would act suprised and alarmed as if the wings were going to fly off, pull the power all the way to idle and throw out the speed brakes - all the way - the aircraft, while rumbling loudly, would then slow enough to stop the horn, then he would retract the brakes and reset the power to cruise power - while still in the descent and repeat. He never got it. I was so stunned the first time I thought there was a mismatch in the A/S indicators, or something (even though I never had a problem with this in the left seat), I honestly watched in awe, then dismay, then in anger. He didn't last long. He was truly a turd in so many ways.

Any one involved in CIA ops or other covert ops would most likely never talk about it to a stranger.

I met a guy in an O'club in dress uniform with medals hanging and the whole bit. Apparently he was at some formal function in the club and decided to drop in the informal bar and spread BS amoung the flightsuiters. He claimed to be a Vietnam war hero fighter pilot with MiG kills, etc. Come to find out he was a paper pusher staff officer, never in Vietnem and just pinned on wings and medals he bought at the clothing store. We didn't call him on the BS, which was obvious, but I did hear he was going to be charged with wearing combat decorations he wasn't entitled to. What a stupid scumbag! Laughable, but we did scam multiple drinks off the guy, so some good did come from it.

Read "Stolen Valor" it is all about dress up war phonies

Here's one

I once worked with a guy who claimed to be an ex-military pilot. When asked what he flew, his reply was "oh, just your standard military aircraft."

I have looked everywhere for a picture of The Standard, but dang if I cant find anything........

Latest resources

Back