Bogus pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gatorman said:
Ok, I got it. There is no way they could have started the engine without a GPU. It does not have the capability to cross-over bleedair start. I did hear that the Air Force version later had an APU installed.

I hesitate to speak since I was a mere "non flying officer" in the back of Air Force F-4s for about 1000 hours. I don't think there ever was an F-4 with an APU, it is very hard to imagine where one might be installed. And it is true that there was no cross over bleed like the T-38 had .

What we could do is start both engines with start carts, which are just huge shotgun shell looking things that when fired turned the motors with their explosive discharge.

Of course as a mere "non-flying officer" I may have all this wrong.

inthewind said:
In the fleet I flew Cobras but as a Natops and Out-of controlled flight Stan guy at Whiting I got 2 one hour rides where I got all the stick time in f-16s. Pretty cool but the aerobatics in the turbo weenie were much more fun and the snake was 100 times harder to fly.
I have 2 hours in the front seat of an AH-1S, courtesy of my brother who was a pilot at Fort Hood at the time. I also have on my Air Force flying time printout an F-16 ride, about 12 hours in T-38s (Fighter leadin and Aggressor rides), and about 12 hours KC-135 time logged when I was the airborne SOF for a deployment.

I've of course never listed that time in my profile since I wasn't really a crewmember in any real sense of the word on those airplanes.

Question: If I add AH-1S, F-16, T-38, and KC-135 time to my profile, would that make me a poser?

AerroMatt said:
Yanno... I had read about this one as being a Korean War story. Was reported as being true. Just can't remember the names, although I think I remember that it was F86 aircraft.

Both stories are true. Con-pilot tells about Pardo's Push, but it also happened in Korea with F-86's. I read the story several years ago as well. The damaged airplane shut down and the guy pushing stuck his nose in the damaged airplane's tailpipe. He pushed the damaged airplane all the way to the coast where the pilot ejected. As I recall, the pilot who ejected died before he was rescued. I don't recall if his parachute failed, or if it was hypothermia.

Also, the story about the SPAD landing in Viet Nam was about the second or third time someone had done that. It was done at least once during WWII by a Mustang pilot. One of his buddies was shot down over occupied Europe. He landed and picked the guy up then flew back to England.

Unfortunately, I don't have exact references for either the F-86 trick or the P-51.

I once knew a guy who did actually fly for American Eagle. He came home on vacation and was bragging to all the guys around airport that he flew for "American." When they asked what he was flying he said, "737's."

I once told a gal that I was one of the test pilots on the Space Shuttle Program. She believed me until I told her that we did most of the testing on a grass runway just outside of town. (North East Missississippi)

In a previous life, I was a fighter pilot in Europe during World War Two. I'm the guy who shot down the Red Baron. I'll never forget it....There I was in my SR-71. I was diving out of the sun on him. I was really going fast, way over the red line. I must have been doing over 200 mph, I really don't know because the speedometer didn't go that high......

In the fleet I flew Cobras but as a Natops and Out-of controlled flight Stan guy at Whiting I got 2 one hour rides where I got all the stick time in f-16s. Pretty cool but the aerobatics in the turbo weenie were much more fun and the snake was 100 times harder to fly.
No comment. :rolleyes:

I had to check out a new guy in our Navajo years ago.He was all "I'm retired Air Force" military this and that,but couldn't fly worth crap.During this trip,I inquired about his experience-turns out he was a forward air controller-not a pilot.In fact,he wanted to dance around the question "Were you a pilot in the Air Force ?" No,he obviously was not.He said on long missions he got to sit in the right seat and quote "So I logged the time ".He ended up going elsewhere and had an incident (no surprise-fortunately no injuries).Check out this guy who stuffed the company King Air in Alabama:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20001204X00006&ntsbno=ATL99FA044&akey=1

Get it right, Naval Air Station Miramar (remember Top Gun?) NKX. :cool:

LOL...you busted the guy and he posted that like 8 months ago! :laugh: Now, the thread begins again. Absolutely awesome!

I've yet to meet one of these bozo bogus pilots, however I did meet a guy who was "new" to our group of friends. He's spouting off about how he was a former Special Forces guy in Gulf War I and how he'd done all this covert stuff. Everyone is really listening to his "story" when I ask, "Cool, dude. Like what kind of gun did you carry"? He goes on to say he handled so many different weapons that they blended, so I asked did you carry an M-16? They're pretty bad a$$. He says that was one of his main weapons, blah blah blah. So, I stop smiling and ask, "What size round does that thing hold, anyway"? Absolutely, completely stumped the guy. He's scrambling, uh, duh, ummm...you know I fought with so many kinds of guns... He was a little shocked when I told him that I was in the service for only 4 months before I got a medical discharge, and that was over 15 years ago...the round is a .223. What about the MP-5? Did you carry a side arm? Which one...'cuz if you don't know.... Needless to say, my buddies sort of blacklisted him from bar nights. If he's gonna lie about stupid crap like that, what's he gonna be like on the golf course? Yeah, I'm puttin' for birdie...:uzi:

When I was stationed in Hawaii as a UH-60 crewchief, one of our other crewchiefs would put on a white shirt with shoulderboards and leave the barracks early on Saturday morning. We wouldn't see this guy all weekend. He would come to work on Monday and talk about how he had to fly some people to Maui for the weekend. We ended up going to the Honolulu Airport for something and stopped by Cherry Helicopters so he could "show me the bird he flies." I noticed that all the line guys were looking at us funny when we went through the hangar. He showed me this Hughes 500--it was locked and he said he left his keys in the logbook at the barracks. A week or so later, I stopped by Cherry Helicopters on a Saturday and asked if Clause was working. The lady didn't know who I was talking about. I described him and she said, "Oh-that's the guy that comes in here and has people take his picture in front of the aircraft then goes back and tells people they are his."
He also told me that his dad owned all the helicopters used in the TV series "Airwolf". He was a compulsive liar and I wouldn't doubt it if someone here has run across him if he stayed in aviation after the military. I was in Hawaii from '88-'92 and I think he left before I did. What a loser!

Latest resources

Back