Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Say Again Over

With you
Anyone out there come across some pilot pretending that he used to be some type of military fighter type? I have had two occasions where my chief pilot has claimed to be an ex USN fighter pilot, the one that said he flew F-14's was so nervous for a 135 initial check by the POI that I new something wasn't right, he ended up scuffing and blowing out one of the mains on his checkride and they launched an investigation, turns out it he was totally bogus and got fired, another air ambulance pilot chief pilot told me he was a USN test pilot, flew for the CIA and flew F-18's, I asked him what a DD-175 was and he had no idea (flight plan), what is it with some people, has anyone else seen these types out there? :mad:

I was on an airliner once when a guy next to me told me he had been a fighter pilot in Viet Nam and he had shot down a Mig-29.

JimNtexas said:
I was on an airliner once when a guy next to me told me he had been a fighter pilot in Viet Nam and he had shot down a Mig-29.
It must have been an early, early prototype...

JimNtexas said:

Well you know the Soviets....always screwing around with time travel and the space time continuem....coduminium....contraction....uh............you know that stargate/wormhole jazz.....boy where is Major Carter when you need a big technobabble word?:D

Say Again Over said:
what is it with some people, has anyone else seen these types out there? :mad:

I know a guy that is an enlisted Marine that tells people he is training to fly the F-18 and will soon be flying for the Blue Angels. Needless to say, he is a compulsive liar when it comes to everything. I can't wait until he comes across someone (besides me) that calls him out. He mainly tells girls to pick up on them and they belive him when he shows them his military ID.

Say Again Over said:
Anyone out there come across some pilot pretending that he used to be some type of military fighter type? I have had two occasions where my chief pilot has claimed to be an ex USN fighter pilot, the one that said he flew F-14's was so nervous for a 135 initial check by the POI that I new something wasn't right, he ended up scuffing and blowing out one of the mains on his checkride and they launched an investigation, turns out it he was totally bogus and got fired, another air ambulance pilot chief pilot told me he was a USN test pilot, flew for the CIA and flew F-18's, I asked him what a DD-175 was and he had no idea (flight plan), what is it with some people, has anyone else seen these types out there? :mad:

If he has a Lear 60 type and his intials are DC, I know him.

At an outdoor bar in Wichita about 9 years ago as a 1900 driver with 3 of my co-workers. Sitting next to us was 3 guys, one gal speaking loudly about airplanes. We start chatting and they say they fly for DAL on the 737. Cool, I say, what model? The A model. Awesome, you guys are cool that must be a real hard job. Is it hard to be a pilot? So, what does a pilot's license look like? Like a drivers license? (as a take my ATP out of my wallet). No it's larger, yada, yada, yada. My co-workers and I proceded to bust them big time. Pretty funny overall and they fessed up and were humbled pretty quick. They commented on the odds of trying that story on a couple of airline pilots...

"air ambulance pilot chief pilot told me he was a USN test pilot, flew for the CIA and flew F-18's"

This sounds so familiar - I worked with a guy a number of years ago who was in his 50's - he said he was test flying and teaching pilots in F-18s on "special assignment", he would leave his green jumpsuit with no markings laying around were people would see it and ask him questions about it. He had the thickest eyeglasses of any pilot I had ever seen. We were flying a Hawker at the time and he was horrible - the scariest pilot ever. If more than one thing happened he couldn’t handle it, on descent blew the MMO horn all the time then pulled the levers to idle, threw out the speed brakes till it stopped and then would do it all over again in a few minutes, nearly stalled us going into TEB, used to slam the aircraft on the ground on 10,000’ runways then slam down the nosewheel and hit the brakes so hard you would hear the cries of passengers and the debris flying around in the back, with 8,500’ left, he didn’t last long. Always made comments about the CIA and doing work for NASA, wrote the algorithms for GPS......

I have seen guys like this several times in my career and I hate them, really hate them, they make such a mess that others have to clean up, ruin things for everyone else and are a all around pain in the ass to be around and work with.

You should have seen the mess I had to clean up in that operation - that is another story.

Best one that ever heard was a guy who would tell people that use to work for the RAF (yes, he was British) and flew Harriers in Faulklans war. He was only about 35 or so in 1997. This would make him about 14 years old during the conflict. He also told us about flying Falcon 50's landing on dirt road in Africa doing spook work for British government.

Funny thing was, I was told by people who flew with him that he was an excellent pilot.

He ended up getting fired. He was shagging to bosses wife and deported. I guess the INS learned that he was no longer employed. Nothing like a super millionare with lots of government connections scorned, eh?

The story gets better. The new CP, the then co-captain, received a call checking references for above said pilot. Evidently the lear jet that they were flying turned into a Global Express. All the new CP could do was say that he had know idea what the caller was talking about.:laugh:

Latest resources

Back