Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Enlisted eeh?

kneeshoe said:
I know a guy that is an enlisted Marine that tells people he is training to fly the F-18 and will soon be flying for the Blue Angels. Needless to say, he is a compulsive liar when it comes to everything. I can't wait until he comes across someone (besides me) that calls him out. He mainly tells girls to pick up on them and they belive him when he shows them his military ID.

Ummm, well...concidering that I was in the Marine Crops and worked F/A18a's, I would like to throw the BS flag out on that one.
First of all.....Enlisted means you are not an Officer, therefore not a pilot in the Marine Corps. (Yes there are a few instances where Enlisted did/have flown aircraft). The only time you would be Enlisted and flying an F-18 would be if you were lucky enough to sit in the REO seat, but ergo, you are still not a pilot. Another case in which an Enlisted person can 'fly' an F-18 would be in the simulator, which is counted as actual stick time. I have had the pleasure of accumulating 1.5 hours 'flying' the F-18. And just for a pat on my own back, I did make a carrier landing at night....nailed it! The guy that 'flew' after me came in about 6 feet too low and added a jet porpulsion system to the carrier.
As For the Blue Angels, I do not know too much about their game, but I believe that you have to be at least an O-3 paygrade. No 'butter bars' alllowed.

BS Artists

AirBadger said:
Wow I think that's a whole new low isn't?

Actually no, they're common. Bull$hit artists are a dime a dozen. You simply need to keep fresh batteries in your shock-proof Bull$hit Detector at all times. I once flew with a new-hire my 135 outfit brought on board post 9-11. He had passed background checks, but couldn't fly a plane worth a dang... not even a C172. We were trying to figure out what to do with him when the FBI spared us the necessity of firing him by arresting him for forgery and credit card fraud! Turns out he was an illegal alien from Nigeria who spoke fluent english and was an expert forger of documents (including his certificates, I believe). He might have been a Private Pilot, but had managed to fool the owner and CP into believing he had much more experience. I guess Microsoft Flight Simulator can be good for this.

One for the books: A lady I know had an ex-boyfriend who claimed to be an F4 Fighter jock during Vietnam. He claimed he got the Bronze Star for landing his Phantom on a dirt road in Vietnam to pick up his wingman who'd been shot down and returned him safely to base! My BS detector was redlined on that one!

Last edited:
used to slam the aircraft on the ground on 10,000’ runways then slam down the nosewheel and hit the brakes so hard
Sounds like a Naval Aviator, I used to have a corporate gig for a guy who's son was a Blue Angel, Mark Lauritzen, I let him fly a leg once, his dad said to never let it happen again. :laugh:

AerroMatt said:
One for the books: A lady I know had an ex-boyfriend who claimed to be an F4 Fighter jock during Vietnam. He claimed he got the Bronze Star for landing his Phantom on a dirt road in Vietnam to pick up his wingman who'd been shot down and returned him safely to base! My BS detector was redlined on that one!

You know, I actually looked that up in google....but after a short search, I realized 1.) Phantoms are a two seat aircraft. [yea but, you can still stuff two in the back seat if you had to]. and 2.) Um, who repacked the drag chute? [if the road was long enough, you would not need it].

I guess it is plausable, but yet still a myth. I will get in touch with some of my salty Marine buddys and ask them if they have ever hear of that one.

Gatorman said:
You know, I actually looked that up in google....but after a short search, I realized 1.) Phantoms are a two seat aircraft. [yea but, you can still stuff two in the back seat if you had to]. and 2.) Um, who repacked the drag chute? [if the road was long enough, you would not need it].

I guess it is plausable, but yet still a myth. I will get in touch with some of my salty Marine buddys and ask them if they have ever hear of that one.

Uh, Gator...

Assuming your plausibilities, how the devil would someone get up into that cockpit without a ladder? F4's were still in service with the Navy when I was in, and they always had an external ladder they'd hang on the side of the fuselage for crew ingress/egress. I guess the shot-down wingman may have happened upon one in a rice paddy after parachuting down, then asked this guy to shut down one engine so he wouldn't be sucked in the intake. :eek:

Does anyone know if the F4 could re-start one engine on the ground without a GPU cart? Too much BS for my BS detector I'm afraid, but I appreciate you checking with your Marine buddies about it. Maybe they'll get a laugh out of it like I did. Cheers! :beer:

An Air Force Major by the name of Fisher (I think) won the Medal of Honor for landing on road, or abandon aifield in an area controled by the NVA during Viet Nam to pick up another pilot that been shot down.

He was flying a SPAD aka A-1E, a single pistion engine aircraft.

That is the only story I ever heard about.

Now, back to your question. In the 40 some odd years I have been flying I have ran into 3 or 4 of these type of guys. It doesn't take me long to figure out that they are lying.

wrote the algorithms for GPS

No .... no .... NO! That was ME! :angryfire

I used Machine Language, too, by the way. And I did it all in Visual Notepad.

(Marmotts are pretty good SW developers, believe it or not.)

I Have 3 Lunar Landings In Our Falcon 50. Fuel Burns Are Really Low Up There.. Nasa Is Pissed Cause I Stole The Flag That The Apollo Guys Left... Its On Ebay Now..

Last edited:
AerroMatt said:
Uh, Gator...

Assuming your plausibilities, how the devil would someone get up into that cockpit without a ladder? F4's were still in service with the Navy when I was in, and they always had an external ladder they'd hang on the side of the fuselage for crew ingress/egress. I guess the shot-down wingman may have happened upon one in a rice paddy after parachuting down, then asked this guy to shut down one engine so he wouldn't be sucked in the intake. :eek:

Does anyone know if the F4 could re-start one engine on the ground without a GPU cart? Too much BS for my BS detector I'm afraid, but I appreciate you checking with your Marine buddies about it. Maybe they'll get a laugh out of it like I did. Cheers! :beer:

I see your point about the ladder.... http://aeronautics.ru/archive/douglas/f4_phantom/f-4_phantom_033.jpg

But there was also another ladder that was a part of the aircraft...please look closely at this one
http://aeronautics.ru/archive/douglas/f4_phantom/f-4_phantom_034.jpg

Neither of those would have been need if were under the conditions that were given - being on a dirt road in Vietnam.

But I am telling you, that if you were in hostile territory and Captain America showed up in an F4 Phantom, you could not figure out how to hop up on the wing, jump up on the back and work your way up to the REO seat?
http://aeronautics.ru/archive/douglas/f4_phantom/f-4_phantom_074.jpg
http://aeronautics.ru/archive/douglas/f4_phantom/f-4_phantom_103.jpg

Then have a nice day.... http://aeronautics.ru/archive/douglas/f4_phantom/f-4_phantom_068.jpg

Plausable!

I will get back with you on the engine start with out the GPU. Need to see if they had cross start capabilities...I think they did.

I know a guy in FL that said he was in the cia, top gun, f14 yada yada.

Ended up getting busted for impersonating an astronaut in NASA and was caught flying the sim. I think it was his second bust at NASA.

FBI was all over him. He had his resume on line. I posted it here once but can't find it. He says the CIA is denying knowledge of him because he's deep undercover.

yeahhhhh

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back