Best Twin for ME instruction?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

weekendwarrior

Anyone care to chime on on the best twin for MEL instruction? My criteria is price, operating cost, mx, insurance, etc. Mostly a financial discussion, with a mix of good training value as well.

My thoughts are:
Seminole
Aztec
Twin Comanche

I don't have any experience with the Aztec; but, given it's age I would assume it's a maint. hog. The Twin Comanche is a GREAT airplane; but, insurance is through the roof.

That said, out of the three aircraft you listed I'd probably say the Seminole.

Aztec is a good plane, it performs really good.

Did my initial in a 310R....good complex plane that was rather hard to handle.

Order of preference IMHO:

BE76 - Great trainer, good performance, good systems and cockpit layout. (not on your list but look for this one)

Seminole - OK if it is not too hot for performance, cockpit tight, harder to see all of the panel than the BE76. I flew one that one prop sometimes would come out of feather, then sometimes it would not.

Aztec - great aircraft performance (for a light twin) If you can find one that has been maintained well enough for training and the owner will allow training in one.

Twin Comanche - not a good trainer IMHO. Requires more speed to operate safer. Smaller wing than I like for a trainer. As I recall many had problems with the gear. Or at least those who landed gear up said it was mechanical problems....

Thanks guys...I didn't want to go the Beech route, as I worked as a mechanic and HATED working on them. But, guess it depends on the airplane. I did my training in seminole, which I didn't care for, but bang for the buck you couldn't beat it. A 310 is a great airplane...have some time in them. But a conventional twin I'm not sure if insurance would be higher than a counter rotating twin.

Aztec is a good plane, it performs really good.

Did my initial in a 310R....good complex plane that was rather hard to handle.

I know it's not on the list, but a 310 will make a man out of ya. And, a better multi pilot.

Broke, you went up a notch in my book.:beer:

Hung

I'm probably gonna get a lot of crap for this and I know it's not on the list, but I would suggest exploring the use of a Seneca II.

I've been instructing in them for over a thousand hours now, and I find them a very stable, forgiving platform that is still plenty capable.

Don't get me wrong, the MAP adjustment will make your hair gray in short order and MX can be a problem, but the low acquisition costs of a II might help make up for some of that.

I think that it flies a lot like a Seminole (note that I said "flies," not to including takeoff and landing) with more interior room and overall capability.

Some people don't like the Seneca for a primary trainer mainly because of the simple turbocharging system and the forward CG that'll require you and/or your student to jockey ballast around, but I've come around to liking them.

Like I said, I realize that it's not on your list, I just wanted to make sure that you weren't discounting what can be a pretty good trainer.

Latest resources

Back