Best Twin for ME instruction?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why?

If $hit were to hit the fan. I want to be able to climb on one engine, not make a smoking hole in the ground.

If $hit were to hit the fan. I want to be able to climb on one engine, not make a smoking hole in the ground.

It is a relatively complex and difficult to fly airplane with high maintenance costs. I have a lot of 320 hours. Great airplane, nothing against it. It wouldn't be my first choice for multi instruction which is what the question was.

Having flown the PA44 and the BE76, I'd have to give my preference to the Dutchess. Granted you'll be able to find very new and relatively well-equipped and maintained Seminoles out there since they are still in production.

Never flown a Seneca, but will be taking one up in the next couple o weeks.

Never flown a 310, but have heard good things about them.

Never flown a Twin Commanche so I know nothing about them.

Never flown a Duke, but always wanted to.

If it were up to me, I'd go for a Baron. Did my comm-multi and MEI in a BE55 and signed off a few students in one. Did my ATP and few many hundreds of hours in a BE58. They're expensive, no denying it, but Barons are excellent airplanes. They definitely keep you on your toes, both as a trainee and as an instructor, because they can be very unforgiving (especially in terms of VMC).

I did a lot of instruction in a Twin Comanche and thought it was excellent for training. Of course not as docile as a Seminole. It has an honest-to-god Vmca and if you go below it single engine you'll know it quick. In my opinion this is a plus - makes for a better and safer twin pilot than one who learned on a training-wheels plane and then has to go on and fly a "real" twin.

All the other planes being discussed besides the Twin Comanche and Seminole will cost more to operate. The PA30 is only 160HP per side and is relatively simple systems-wise. Good speed for cross-country also. The gear is not as finicky as people say, but it is stiff and not easy to grease on. Most of the people who land a Twin Comanche gear up had no idea how to properly perform an emergency gear extension.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back