• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Benefits of a Merger for a Delta Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The most reliable inside source I have told me that the NWA and DAL MEC's have been briefed on the "likelihood" of furloughs this fall, which would be fewer in number if the fleets were optimized by Delta. This was pressure for the NWA and DAL MEC to move quickly on the TA.

This sounds similar to what Lee Moak intoned in the Chairman's letter.

The Delta System Chief Pilot has been basing his projections on Delta's stand alone plan to the best of my knowledge. My take from these facts is that without NWA, Delta would hire 125 to 140 this fall. With a SLI furloughs will be spread among both groups.

ACL65 - this match what you're getting? FDJ2? Occam?

If challenged to say one thing nice about this merger... well... it isn't US Air.

A 400 hour wonder will replace a DC9 pilot, who will displace a 767Intl pilot, which will cause a furlough off an MD88. What's wrong with this picture?

Last edited:
The most reliable inside source I have told me that the NWA and DAL MEC's have been briefed on the "likelihood" of furloughs this fall, which would be fewer in number if the fleets were optimized by Delta. This was pressure for the NWA and DAL MEC to move quickly on the TA.

The Delta System Chief Pilot has been basing his projections on Delta's stand alone plan to the best of my knowledge. My take from these facts is that without NWA, Delta would hire 125 to 140 this fall. With a SLI furloughs will be spread among both groups.

If challenged to say one thing nice about this merger... well... it isn't US Air.

A 400 hour wonder will replace a DC9 pilot, who will displace a 767Intl pilot, which will cause a furlough off an MD88. What's wrong with this picture?

It sure doesn't sound like anyone has answered how the junior NWA guys will be "benefiting" from this merger.... Have any buyouts been organized through the MEC to prevent what looks like their furloughs? Unless there is a secret deal to takeover FedEx ops out of Anchorage, I can't see what else they could possibly be planning for them....keep in mind a lot of those "junior" guys aren't young wet behind the ears like guys like SuperPilot... The airlines hadn't been hiring for years until recently, and a lot of these guys brought significant experience to NWA...It would have a much greater affect on them (throwing them under the rug) in the modern aspect of being "junior" than years before when they all had long years ahead of them

Last edited:
Come on Fins your letting the Drama Queen back out. ;) Do you argue that the overall and long term stability of DAL is not going to improve? Nothing says DAL wouldnt be cutting back, as well as NWA, if this merger wasnt going on. The combination of OUR companies is whats going to make our QOL and Career stability better. In a stand alone NWA i would have retired at #3 and would have been at the top of the list for the last 15-20 years of my career regardless of the short term bumps so i to might lose some "expectations" in all of this but its for the greater good for ALL of us. This isnt about YOU or ME its about the whole picture. If that sounds too Rosy for you, than i dont know what to tell you. This merger needs to happen for all included and thats not just from me its from BOTH Unions and BOTH mgmt teams. Glass half full :beer:

Ah, how quickly their tone changes.

Indeed.

ACL65 has been saying he is hearing additional hiring is needed. At least thats what he said recently.

It sure doesn't sound like anyone has answered how the junior NWA guys will be "benefiting" from this merger....

Guys that were furloughed from NWA will go from 3rd or 4th year pay to 8th or 9th year pay with the Delta contract. We kept longevity for pay. I have only worked for Delta a little over two years (5 years on furlough) but I am on 8th year pay. I hope the NWA MEC fought for this for their junior pilots...I know the Delta guys did for us.

This is something I hope the NWA MEC discussed in the joint agreement.

NYR

Last edited:
What do you mean sir?:beer: :beer: :beer:

I noticed you guys like beer and smiles so I try to give you a page full to keep you happy.

But more details on the benefits of the merger to a Delta Pilot?:confused:

In the long term a good deal for both pilot groups. The DC-9 probably has you guys a bit nervous since they are after all retiring. But I think with our new B787 and a enhanced ability to exercise the options on these aircraft, the link between NWA and Delta will be more of a positive than a negative if you're talking merely about staffing. So cheers!!!

Latest resources

Back