• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Benefits of a Merger for a Delta Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Northwest guy gets a huge pay raise, better benefits and equipment. I do not get to fly his B747 or anything better than what I have already. My quality of life goes backwards.
What is in this deal for a Delta Pilot!:confused:

How does you QOL go backwards when the company as a whole is in a much better position? I am willing to bet that your QOL is ultimately going to go up and the long term stability of DAL is going to be better for everyone involved. Cheer up, go get a snow cone or something :laugh:

Superpilot:

Oh come on. This thing is a windfall for you and at best a 5 year set back for the Delta new hires. I'm happy for you, but you should at least be gentleman enough to realize that Delta pilots are not getting better bases, huge (for you around 40%) raises, better growth potential and better management.

Enough with the happy horse-crap about we both being better off. YOU are better off.
How does you QOL go backwards when the company as a whole is in a much better position?
Yeah, and why don't we merge with Comair, bring their pay up to ours then go to binding arbitration. After all they bring better growth, junior equipment, bases and in some cases, pay, to the table.

It is pretty obvious when displaced DC9 pilots knock 767 international guys out of their seats & bases that QOL is going backwards. Backwards by 5 to 10 years for similarly situated pilots.

Last edited:
I think he he meant "fair and just;" SLI plus about 15% is fair for Delta pilots considering our better contract and the amount of high paying seats we have.

Better contract is based on factors. NWA could have had a better contract if it had given up the pensions. Contract comparison or pay comparisons are pointless because they were on different playing fields. Times change and so do contracts.

Better contract is based on factors. NWA could have had a better contract if it had given up the pensions. Contract comparison or pay comparisons are pointless because they were on different playing fields. Times change and so do contracts.
What? They are keeping their pensions and getting DAL's pay.

I think they are keeping their cake and eating it too.

Last edited:
A Big Headache!!

That is the only feeling I have ever had about the merger. Just looking for some cheer about this merger for me as a Delta pilot. Just as the Northwest pilots always say seniority is forever and the future is not guaranteed. Why should I hope on a better company as my reward. Who knows if the merger will make us stronger. The new Delta may end up as a hell hole to work at. Unhappy miserable employees.
I want my share of the pie now. Where is my relative reward. If my blessed Northwest pilots are getting huge pay raises what am I getting to make me happy. I get to keep my seat maybe, Thank you!:beer:

Superpilot:

Oh come on. This thing is a windfall for you and at best a 5 year set back for the Delta new hires. I'm happy for you, but you should at least be gentleman enough to realize that Delta pilots are not getting better bases, huge (for you around 40%) raises, better growth potential and better management.

Enough with the happy horse-crap about we both being better off. YOU are better off.

Come on Fins your letting the Drama Queen back out. ;) Do you argue that the overall and long term stability of DAL is not going to improve? Nothing says DAL wouldnt be cutting back, as well as NWA, if this merger wasnt going on. The combination of OUR companies is whats going to make our QOL and Career stability better. In a stand alone NWA i would have retired at #3 and would have been at the top of the list for the last 15-20 years of my career regardless of the short term bumps so i to might lose some "expectations" in all of this but its for the greater good for ALL of us. This isnt about YOU or ME its about the whole picture. If that sounds too Rosy for you, than i dont know what to tell you. This merger needs to happen for all included and thats not just from me its from BOTH Unions and BOTH mgmt teams. Glass half full :beer:

Superpilot:

Yeah, and why don't we merge with Comair, bring their pay up to ours then go to binding arbitration. After all they bring better growth, junior equipment, bases and in some cases, pay, to the table.

It is pretty obvious when displaced DC9 pilots knock 767 international guys out of their seats & bases that QOL is going backwards. Backwards by 5 to 10 years for similarly situated pilots.

Thank you for telling the truth as I see it! All respect to Northwest guys I really do believe that this merger was forced on us Delta pilots by investors and we have no guarantee of a happy or more productive company. Some people would get rich but it is not going to be the Delta Pilot.
I am yet to meet a pilot happy about the merger. We are all trying to make the best of a sad situation that seeks to erode our quality of life to the extent we have to look at our options.
A Delta pilot looking at his options. Unreal but this merger is doing it to us.:crying:

:beer:

Come on Fins your letting the Drama Queen back out. ;) Do you argue that the overall and long term stability of DAL is not going to improve? Nothing says DAL wouldnt be cutting back, as well as NWA, if this merger wasnt going on. The combination of OUR companies is whats going to make our QOL and Career stability better. In a stand alone NWA i would have retired at #3 and would have been at the top of the list for the last 15-20 years of my career regardless of the short term bumps so i to might lose some "expectations" in all of this but its for the greater good for ALL of us. This isnt about YOU or ME its about the whole picture. If that sounds too Rosy for you, than i dont know what to tell you. This merger needs to happen for all included and thats not just from me its from BOTH Unions and BOTH mgmt teams. Glass half full :beer:

I do not believe we would be cutting back or laying of pilots at all without a merger. We have solid growth and without a merger we will be hiring pilots right now. If we do not merge soon we will be hiring. Northwest will be sending pilots to the street.
The two companies hiring here shortly are Delta and Southwest. Every other Airline is singing the tune of doom and gloom.

DELTA = SOLID GROWTH AND INTERNATIONAL EXPANSION:pimp:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back