• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

BA 777 "lands short" at Heathrow

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't think this one of your typical GA accidents where the NTSB again concludes with.....'determined that the probable cause of this accident was fuel starvation resulting from the....'!

That only happens to Canadians.

On the video it looks like the approach lights are displaced hundreds of meters from the end of the runway. May have just been a visual approach gone bad.. anyone who's landed on this runway have any input?

Maybe the hard landing straighten out their teeth and knocked some of that green stuff out from in between their teeth?

someone mentioned fuel starvation.

I have a VERY hard time believing that BOTH motors would flame out at the exact same point. If things were that close on fuel...I'm guessing there would be few - several seconds before the other one would go silent.

I also can't see these guys just "landing short".

SWA/FO mentioned bird injestion. I was thinking that this morning.

I avoided a flock of canadien geese in the CRJ on short final one day...whew...I could've been on CNN. Not good.

BBC is now interviewing a BA Captain, and he says this just doesn't happen to British pilots. Therefore, it must be a severe damage emergency or windshear or geese ingestion into the engines to cause the airplane to have a problem prior to touchdown. He said at least three times, "This just doesn't happen to British pilots. We are well trained. It had to be an aeroplane or weather problem."

So Brit pilots are invincible?

And they don't have engine failures at departure (KLAX), determine it's ok to press on to London with 3 engines, then realize they don't have enough gas to make it so they need to stop anyway??

Not at all. I just think that most airline operation environments are very good with fuel planning and management....If it is true i'll eat my...(i'll let you guys decide!).

I don't have time to look up the link, but I think what's being referred to is the fairly recent British Airways 747 that lost an engine on takeoff from LAX (tower notice flames), elected to continue to London on three engines, but had to declare a fuel emergency and land in Scotland.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back