AWA/ US Airways pilot seniority integration

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
m80drvr said:
I'm not trying to bait you' I'm just trying to sort this crap out. I'm so far down the list I can't see daylight at noon so it will be a long time before it gets to me.

You might be closer than you think. About 25% of JetBlue is furloughed USAir pilots that have no interest in USAirways recall, myself included.

I'd say atleast 60% of JB consists of NW, United, USAirways and Independence furloughed pilots.

FWIW, this month I was flying with a pilot that turned down recall to United.

Last edited:
k9nole said:
You might be closer than you think. About 25% of JetBlue is furloughed USAir pilots that have no interest in USAirways recall, myself included.

I'd say atleast 60% of JB consists of NW, United, USAirways and Independence furloughed pilots.

FWIW, this month I was flying with a pilot that turned down recall to United.

But never say never in this bizz. I would highly doubt what I'm about to say, but (as JetBlue has a great product, if not the best in the industry which should sustain them in the hard times ) I bet thoes guys would jump ship if they get a recall in 5 years and somehow JB is on the rocks.

I would and do totally agree with what your saying on the fact that these guys will stay at JB if recalled but like we all know.... who knows what the situation will be in 5 years or whatever time frame.

m80drvr said:
Hey Lear Love

Are you saying that a mda guy that was on property the day the merger announcement was made is considered as "active" USAir pilot, therefore they get recall in front on a furloughed pilot who didn't go to mda?

Didn't a judge just rule on this?

I'm just asking because I don't know the answer, and unless I missed something from US west management has no idea about this, Not that it is any of their business, but Parker was asked about this last week in PHL and had no idea.

It will be an interesting battle at US east if MDA guys think they should get recalled before their senior "brothers".

I'm not trying to bait you' I'm just trying to sort this crap out. I'm so far down the list I can't see daylight at noon so it will be a long time before it gets to me.

D

PS. Be careful, I agree with phxflyr, the only talk about stapeling is on the USAir side as far as I can tell, and I run into BOTH crews regularly.

Yeah I had a feeling that might cause some heart burn around and i didn't mean it that way, just too lazy to write a full post between rest peroids during this Italian Xmas Eve 7+ course dinner right now. I can say I'm all fished out about now.

If I'm not mistaken the act of getting us considered active mainline is not to jump senority for integration or recall but to fight the "other fight" the MDA gang has going right now. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the integration issue will come down to whatever is the cheapest training wise, which will mean everyone stay in their current airplane and seat for a long time.
I think the pilots will be a cakewalk compared to the mechanics.

m80drvr said:
PS. Be careful, I agree with phxflyr, the only talk about stapeling is on the USAir side as far as I can tell, and I run into BOTH crews regularly.

Hi, md80drvr and PHXFLYR,

The stapling talk has been mostly on this board, and it's come almost exclusively from what appears to be junior AWA people (no names needed.) In the real world, far from the anonymity and childishness of this Internet site, people are typically more reasonable and civilized. If you guys are hearing stapling talk from real live US Air folks, that's news to me. No one here feels as if that is warranted or fair. Massive speed bump notwithstanding, our careers at U going forward were never in question.....no matter what it looked like on the outside or in the freekin' newspapers.

PHX, I more or less put the stapling comment in my first post to appease your camp; let's face it, though, it's what you guys would like concerning the junior US Air guys (who are currently furloughed although many of us are serving the company as captains in CRJ's....an unprecedented situation in ALPA history, I believe.)

Please don't make me dig up the numerous posts from your guys here that blather all sorts of "to the bottom" and "stapling" remarks. It's all been you boys here on the ever entertaining flightinfo.com

In any event, time to hit the sack. I sleep quite well these days :)

Y'all take care, have a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year. Be Careful for god's sake.......always good advice :)

Later

BeCareful! said:
let's face it, though, it's what you guys would like concerning the junior US Air guys (who are currently furloughed although many of us are serving the company as captains in CRJ's....an unprecedented situation in ALPA history, I believe.)

I know why you feel the way you do but tell me, how do you arrive at the conclusion that you somehow deserve to be placed ahead of an active pilot flying for AWA.

You have consistently communicated that simply because you were hired at US in 19XX you deserve to be placed on top of active AWA pilots. I think your stance is wrong. Never-the-less you are entitled to you opinion.

If you would respond by asking why do I feel I should maintain my relative seniority and you remain on the bottom of the newly combined list my response in short is this: Equity. What did me and my fellow pilots and my company bring to the table? I suppose you might ask yourself this question. Was any other company looking to jump into bed with US? Were there any other outside investors looking to pour more money into your company(without AWA in the equation)?
Andy

Widow's Son said:
I think the integration issue will come down to whatever is the cheapest training wise, which will mean everyone stay in their current airplane and seat for a long time.
That's a given; there will be no bump-and-flush regardless. Even a staple job (either side) with tall fences would prevent that. The issue is if there are more furloughs: will one side take the pain or will it be shared? The merger committees and mediator/arbitrator know all about this. Stay tuned.

xanderman:

Speaking of equity.....I don't recall anyone throwing any money AWA's way, other than the ATSB. Since both U and AWA received loans, I'd say they were about equal.

If there was a need, it was in both camps to "merge". If you think that AWA would have been in very good shape "alone" then why was your management so for it?

Lastly, remember the reductions in U aircraft was greatly in part to the fact that U was within the confines of Chapter 11 and they could easily dispose of equipment. It was driven by the economics of that situation. In other words, U jobs were put on the chopping block for YOUR future gain.

Just wait for the arbitrator to rule. Then the complaining can begin.

A350

This is always entertaining to read and really pointless to talk about since it will be decided by an arbitrator in the end, but for arguments sake let me point this out. The AWA guys want a relative seniority merger. They believe that is fair since it would not harm them in any way. What they don't say, but secretly know in their hearts, is that it would be like winning the lottery for any AWA guy who is age 45 or under. In ten years the great majority of the active USAirways pilots will be gone thus giving the remaining AWA pilots a huge windfall. It would be like your airline deciding to buy 220 airplanes and place them in service over the next ten years. That is phenomenal career progression for young AWA pilots.

The current USAirways pilots who are junior F.O.s will never make captain in this scenario (and remember,every last one of them could have held captain previously). They will retire as first officers with all that entails. They will never realize the career progression that they should have with the projected USAirways retirements and be stuck behind young AWA pilots for the remainder of their career.

This is obviously a bitter subject with those who would be placed in this position if a relative merger seniority integration would go forward.

The best answer is for a compromise. It is impossile to make everybody happy, but a compromise solution that involves fences would protect both sides. The AWA guys should always be able to enjoy seniority in PHX, LAS, or other AWA cities while the UAIR guys should always be able to enjoy seniority on the east coast and for any trans-Atlantic flying. There is a workable solution to this and I hope that it can be found for the benefit of both sides.

Just for what it is worth, the synergy that is talked about as a reason for the merger has already shown up in the form of Hawaii routes. AWA tried and failed to fly Hawaii routes many years ago. It is only because of the additonal east coast feed and UAIR frequent flyers that the route can now be tried again. It should be successful this time now that the cachement area of the entire eastern seaboard is included in the equation.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

TP

Last edited:
typhoonpilot said:
What they don't say, but secretly know in their hearts, is that it would be like winning the lottery for any AWA guy who is age 45 or under. In ten years the great majority of the active USAirways pilots will be gone thus giving the remaining AWA pilots a huge windfall.
Well, I recall a few TWA types who thought they'd/we'd won the lottery when the AA buyout was announced. Funny how things didn't work out that way. In fact, it's funny in general how predictions for the future don't always pan out. It's certainly true that the demographics favor the younger AWA in the future but that's not the only consideration. As I've written a number of times, what about a reduction in force/furlough? Some form of shared pain is logical. A pure DOH integration puts the next 1500 or so furloughs purely from the AWA side. Your simplification of the issues does nobody any good.
AWA tried and failed to fly Hawaii routes many years ago. It is only because of the additonal east coast feed and UAIR frequent flyers that the route can now be tried again.
You're mistaken. Our Hawaii routes were planned from before the USA merger announcement.

Latest resources

Back