AWA/ US Airways pilot seniority integration

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Formula1

What is the latest with the integration and/or hiring of US Airways pilots (the 1900 or so furloughees)? I hear that on the AWA side of the fence they are running short on pilots and all of the reserves are flying alot. Is it getting this way on the US Airways side of things as well.

Is there going to come a point where the AWA side of the airline will have to use pilots from the remaining pool or off the street hiring to be able to have enough crews or will they offset the shortage (if one does exist) by utilizing the USAirways aircraft and crews to make up for the shortage until the method of integration has been determined.

Yes, some of you may say that this has been discussed in depth in the past- but it has not been discussedin a while.

I have talked to a few furloughed US Airways pilots at my present company and they have heard nothing or know nothing from the Airways MEC in regards to getting recalled. By the way- these guys are about to be furloughed again from my airline

I know that there is still alot going on behind the scenes, but you don't really hear much about this lately. Any AWA/US Airways guys care to comment on the latest info (if there is any).

Formula 1

Last edited:
I heard that no hiring was going to happen until after the "integration" (or "stapeling") takes place.....May '06 or so.
This is in contrast to the earlier news that some hiring for the western side would come from recalls.

But it was just a rumor; my crystal ball, as well as my sources, are admittedly cloudy.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

BeCareful,

Is there a chance that the stapleing or merging of the lists will happen so soon? (Spring of 2006) I am definietly not privy to any of this info since I am not employed by either company but I had assumed that it would take alot longer than that?

Maybe you guys will hear more after the holiday season. I am assuming you are on the AWA side of the fence.

Formula1

Formula1 said:
What is the latest with the integration and/or hiring of US Airways pilots (the 1900 or so furloughees)? I hear that on the AWA side of the fence they are running short on pilots and all of the reserves are flying alot. Is it getting this way on the US Airways side of things as well.

Is there going to come a point where the AWA side of the airline will have to use pilots from the remaining pool or off the street hiring to be able to have enough crews or will they offset the shortage (if one does exist) by utilizing the USAirways aircraft and crews to make up for the shortage until the method of integration has been determined.

Yes, some of you may say that this has been discussed in depth in the past- but it has not been discussedin a while.

I have talked to a few furloughed US Airways pilots at my present company and they have heard nothing or know nothing from the Airways MEC in regards to getting recalled. By the way- these guys are about to be furloughed again from my airline

I know that there is still alot going on behind the scenes, but you don't really hear much about this lately. Any AWA/US Airways guys care to comment on the latest info (if there is any).

Formula 1

The merger commette is working on it. We get updates almost every night via email. most sections of the contract are done except the all important one especially the integration. The DEC 19, 2005 Furlough list (APL) has just over 1600 guys on it. Several are still listed who have age 60 times out also. Also there are no about 30 former CEL guys (myself included) that make up that list since we were not able to "flow" back to PDT.

Last week we all recieved letters from the merger commette that had our employment DOH hire data. Mine shows my ALG 1999 DOH as now my US Airways DOH hwever I'm tacked on the bottom in CEL senority from the guys who came over to MDA. As more guys get furloughed from MDA the APL list will grow as the CEL guys left at MDA are added to the bottom.

As far as I understand it anyone employed at MDA at the time of the merger (sept29) is considered an active US Airways pilot for integration purposes. That is going to be interesting when it comes time to merge the lists. Guess we will see.

As far as call back, maybe what you are hearing is that AWA may need guys prior the the merging of the lists. They (the MECs) have agreed to take from the APL in senority order if that happens. So say they need 100 pilot at AWA this spring. Then the positions will be offered to the first 100 takers in the APL list. They will be AWA trained and come in at the bottom as AWA newhires but have thier U senority for pay and bennies. Once the pilot list merger takes place these guys would get their senority adjusted to whatever is agreed to.

Clear as Mud right??? There are many other cans of worms to this, especially wrt us MDA guys and our "outside" help (which reminds me I need to pay this month bill) . Like I said guess we will see, this should get interesting sometime early next year.

Merry Xmas

You hear the "stapled" comment quite a bit. Who would be "stapled" to the bottom of who's list? FWIW, I think the stapling arguement is silly in this particular merger. Regardless of which company was stronger prior to the merger, neither had good chances of long-term survival without it.

USMC319 said:
You hear the "stapled" comment quite a bit. Who would be "stapled" to the bottom of who's list? FWIW, I think the stapling arguement is silly in this particular merger. Regardless of which company was stronger prior to the merger, neither had good chances of long-term survival without it.

Noone is getting stapled, that is the domain of another airline, can't think of which one at the moment, though.:)

This is all very interesting, this is the most information I have read in a long time on this subject.

Thanks for posting the info.

Formula 1

well...

Formula1 said:
BeCareful,

Is there a chance that the stapleing or merging of the lists will happen so soon? (Spring of 2006) I am definietly not privy to any of this info since I am not employed by either company but I had assumed that it would take alot longer than that?

Maybe you guys will hear more after the holiday season. I am assuming you are on the AWA side of the fence.

Formula1

Formula,
Actually there is no such talk of a staple. At least on the AWA side. I suppose you could say that there is a "staple attitude" from our new relatives on the US side of the fence. As a matter of fact negotiations have been halted due to a "DOH and nothing less attitude" from our US counterparts. Sad really, to think that this is another opportunity to make something great and it has to get flushed because some dude thinks that his/her.... Well you know what I'm going to say so I'll save it. In reality we are proposing a relative seniority integration which would be fair and most equitable for the greatest number involved. Unfortunately not everyone can be included. I guess it comes down to every individual thinking that their job/life is more important than someone else's.... Myself included. In the end an arbitrator will decide how all this will go.

Just the biz I suppose...
Andy

P.S. to answer your question a PID was set Oct. 24th. So we have 180 days from this date to get our house in order (integrate the list) or (i believe) it goes straight to the arbitrator.

xanderman said:
P.S. to answer your question a PID was set Oct. 24th. So we have 180 days from this date to get our house in order (integrate the list) or (i believe) it goes straight to the arbitrator.

I believe that 180 days includes arbitration, though its said they can take as little or as much time as it takes.

Due to the DOH stand at UsAir (shouldn't be a surprise to anyone) it is without much doubt it is in fact on its way to arbitration. Any talk about what we all think is going to happen is pointless since it will be up to the arbitrators to decide the fate of how seniority is integrated and who in fact will be on the list.

Latest resources

Back