• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AWA to hire 80+ more

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
:cool: Formula 1: Hope that things work out for you which ever way you go! I'm sorry for all of the furloughed guys/gals! Fly Safe!

Formula1 said:
I am in the pool as well- interviewed in march. Getting closer to the bottom of the list at my present employer- looks like the furloughs are going to stop after August (hopefully).

Trying to decide if I want to be at the bottom of ATA's list waiting to see if we ever recover fully and if SWA is going to keep us as a codeshare partner. Or do I want to be at the bottom of AWA's list dealing with all of the seniority integration issues and possibillity of getting furloughed after the merger is completed.

F1:

If it were me, I'd stay at ATA. This code-share is working out better than anyone expected, and SWA is moving quickly to expand it. I believe ATA is realigning to become the defacto international operation for SWA (something I'm less than thrilled about, but we'll save that for another time), and that could mean growth for ATA pilots.

P.S. No more F1 for me until I see Bernie & Max's heads on a platter!

P.S. No more F1 for me until I see Bernie & Max's heads on a platter!

Yes, my interest in Formula 1 has declined since the whole Indy fiasco- I am switching to MotoGP now- watched Hayden win his first MotoGP race yesterday at Laguna- it was an awesome race getting to see an American win a race at home here in the USA. And Collin Edwards finished 3rd (also an American).

"I wouldn't be it too much of a hurry to leave any job to go sit on the bottom of an AWA list. Regardless of what is said, cutbacks have to happen once the merger goes through."

Captain O,

What facts do you base this argument on? Please, spell it out.

To the poolie vs. furlough argument...I know it's a heated debate and I empathize with both sides, but I don't see the company bringing furloughed pilots in to fill those vacancies...I was told the classes would be filled with those currently in the pool.

PositiveRate said:
"I wouldn't be it too much of a hurry to leave any job to go sit on the bottom of an AWA list. Regardless of what is said, cutbacks have to happen once the merger goes through."

Captain O,

What facts do you base this argument on? Please, spell it out.

To the poolie vs. furlough argument...I know it's a heated debate and I empathize with both sides, but I don't see the company bringing furloughed pilots in to fill those vacancies...I was told the classes would be filled with those currently in the pool.

Dude do you even have any clue about the airline history? Oh, wait. You're probably a "low time wonder" hired by AWA with little or no PIC time. So you wouldn't be old enough to be a student of airline mergers and history.

I'm sorry I don't mean to belittle. It's a known fact that the Airways cost structure is way above where it should be. I believe it's somewhere around 11 cents a mile. AWA is great at around 7 or 8. Is that correct? So with needing to bring down the Airways cost and get rid of overlap of the two airlines then where is that going to come from? Also with Oil continuing to inch ever so higher that adds tremendous costs. I know you will be operated as seperate companies for awhile. So where are these cuts going to come from? Please inform me, and don't give me the "ALPA says.....". ALPA doesn't care about your jobs. I work for an ALPA carrier and all they really do for us is lobby Washington. That is how they protect our jobs.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox, but please educate me on how being on the bottom of the AWA list at this point in time is better than being somewhere else, even a stable regional.

"I'm sorry I don't mean to belittle."
Yes you do.

"So where are these cuts going to come from? Please inform me..."

Many cuts have already been announced. The big savings include bringing previously outsourced work in-house...namely IT services and others. Less management, cheaper facilities in PHX, less redundancy in various corporate departments are just a few of the cost savings measures. I think we're around 7 cents bytheway.

Only time will tell if the bottom of the AWA list is a good place or not...

PositiveRate said:
"I'm sorry I don't mean to belittle."
Yes you do.

"So where are these cuts going to come from? Please inform me..."

Many cuts have already been announced. The big savings include bringing previously outsourced work in-house...namely IT services and others. Less management, cheaper facilities in PHX, less redundancy in various corporate departments are just a few of the cost savings measures. I think we're around 7 cents bytheway.

Only time will tell if the bottom of the AWA list is a good place or not...

You're right, with your continued ignorance I do mean to belittle. I'm sure those cuts you mentioned will really help. You probably think a bandaid will fix a flesh wound. Your logic sounds like management trying to become profitable by slashing employee wages. We saw how that worked. I think you may be in for a rude awakening. I'd send your resumes back out to all the regionals.

Back in 2000 I met an Air Tran pilot who was happy to be working there and he attributed getting hired to the fact that he didn't have a degree; therefore Air Tran was more confident that he would not flow through to a major airline. He was the fisrt to admit that they were underpaid and the future of the airline was uncertain, but if he is still there now he would be a senior captain, and it looks like they are doing pretty good. I also have some friends at Southwest, who in the past, have stated that they wish they felt they should be compensated for their work the same as the majors (this was also back in 2000), and they also wished they could fly some other aircraft other than the 737 (just for a change) and do some international flying.

My point is, applying for a carrier during their rough times may not be such a bad decision. Much like the stock market, you want to get in when they are down (or early), hope they peak when you’re on board, and get out (retire) before they start back down. Most everything happens in cycles, so how long can a carrier stay on top, and who is heading to the top? It's a gamble.

Some of the posts on this board are from pilots who are worried for their job and fear they may not be represented in a fair fashion during the AWA / US merger. That's understandable, and I'm not sure how the cards will fall on that. There is one thing that I whole heartily agree on though, and that is that every US Air pilot that thought enough about AWA to submit, and keep current an application, should be offered a position (or at least an interview) with AWA.

Latest resources

Back