AWA to hire 80+ more

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Captain Overs said:
You're right, with your continued ignorance I do mean to belittle. I'm sure those cuts you mentioned will really help. You probably think a bandaid will fix a flesh wound. Your logic sounds like management trying to become profitable by slashing employee wages. We saw how that worked. I think you may be in for a rude awakening. I'd send your resumes back out to all the regionals.

Boy, you sound pretty rude there Capt. Underpants. I guess with your 15k+ places you above most where your at and this gives you a nice place to talk down to us, you sound like you were never at the bottom. You were once wondering how many there were gonna hire behind you, so you can just check you oversized hat at the door thank you very much. And FYI, there's only 30 flights that overlap between the companies and there were four new destinations that were anounced yesterday. Thier short on pilots, we too are short so, I think Positive Rate can safely put away his resume as well as all of us on both sides. You? well, how bout puttin away that fat ego uh?

JetMonkey said:
Boy, you sound pretty rude there Capt. Underpants. I guess with your 15k+ places you above most where your at and this gives you a nice place to talk down to us, you sound like you were never at the bottom. You were once wondering how many there were gonna hire behind you, so you can just check you oversized hat at the door thank you very much. And FYI, there's only 30 flights that overlap between the companies and there were four new destinations that were anounced yesterday. Thier short on pilots, we too are short so, I think Positive Rate can safely put away his resume as well as all of us on both sides. You? well, how bout puttin away that fat ego uh?

Monkey,

Now at least you sound like a somewhat intelligent guy. My original position was not that I've never been to the bottom of the list. I've paid my dues many times over. I simply think positive rate didn't have a good argument. My point was that I don't think I would want to be on the bottom of your list. Why? Not just because of the merger but everything else that's going on right now. Fuel prices are going to be the death of everyone if it continues. I don't care how great your business plan is. When you're losing several million dollars I don't think a few million in cuts is going to be the long term answer. But like everyone else I'm just a dumb pilot with an opinion.

:cool: Fella's, Fella's, Please! Remember, we are LIVING THE DREAM!!!

Where else can you sip a coke at 35K with the best seat in the house?
;)

Captain Overs,

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because of your experience, but unless you have read the SEC filings and related paperwork on the merger (like many pilots at the two companies concerned have) I wouldn't be spouting off about what a sham the merger will be.

There are signifigant cost savings in the areas that Positive Rate mentioned and more. IT, management, facilities etc are are substantial costs to USAirways that will be eliminated or greatly reduced in the combined company. The one thing I am absolutely sure of is that Doug Parker would not go ahead with the deal unless the cost savings were real and obtainable. I wouldn't say the same about almost any other CEO I know of in this business. In a couple of years, either Positive Rate and I will be happy, or you will be able to gloat. Only time will tell.

And since you said it:

Dude do you even have any clue about the airline history? Oh, wait. You're probably a "low time wonder" hired by AWA with little or no PIC time. So you wouldn't be old enough to be a student of airline mergers and history.

I will say that there are no 'low time wonders' hired here. Every single pilot I've met has been knowledgable, experienced, and well versed in how airlines operate these days - and in the past. The captains I've flown with in the last year have also said the same thing - that this latest group of people hired at AWA is among the best they've ever seen there.

So again, unless you have flown with these people, degrading them without knowing them personally only shows you own lack of judgement and class.

HAL

Incorrect. The company has not been offering leaves for some time now. If you want to make a change in employment, then you have to resign.
HAL said:
An assistant chief pilot in my recurrent last month said the same thing - about 40 starting in October. They're trying to keep it a little quiet because they know USAirways guys would blow a fuse if they knew it was coming.

As for the 'who to offer the jobs to', the problem is that AWA has already interviewed these guys in the pool and offered them a job when it becomes available. If the USAirways guys wanted the jobs here they should have come over and interviewed like the rest of us. They wouldn't have had to resign their seniority over there, so as the company sees it it's their choice, and has been as long as AWA has been hiring.

What happens to our new-hires after the merger is another story - one that will be settled as the lists are integrated.

HAL

I think he was refering to the furloughed UsAir pilots - they could come to AWA as a new hire and keep their UsAir senority number as AWA doesn't require that they resign it.

But USAirways does require it.
OnTheDole said:
I think he was refering to the furloughed UsAir pilots - they could come to AWA as a new hire and keep their UsAir senority number as AWA doesn't require that they resign it.

Yes, I was referring to currently furloughed USAirways pilots. No airline requires you to resign your seniority if you find work while on furlough.

"Attention all furloughees. We don't have a job for you, we won't be paying you anything, but you are not allowed to find other work in the career you trained for. Go on welfare and wait for our call. That is all." I don't think so.

There was a USAirways furloughee in my new-hire class at AWA a year ago. He is still on the USA seniority list, as are all the other USA furloughees I've met here.

HAL

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back