• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AWA to hire 80+ more

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was hoping that this thread would again turn to TWA/AA which seems to me to be totally irrelevant..

Found out some info from the Union side.

There will be a need for pilots come February 06. There will be a vacancy bid with 30-50 ( think this was the number mentioned) vacancies once the upgrades and 737 displacements are processed.

AWA ALPA is discussing the situtation with management and AAA.

Not likely to see off the street hiring - especially since the PID will probably be set by ALPA national sometime before this need arises.

You have to remember that the airlines will run on two separate certificates for up to two years after the merger happens. AWA can't just dip into the USA furloughee pool and bring the guys over - it's still two separate airlines. If they did, they would have to be treated just like any new-hire and start at the bottom.

Now imagine the difficulties if AWA did bring in some USA furloughees. Where would they sit on the final list? Ahead of USA guys more senior to them that decided not to come over to AWA? ALPA wouldn't like it if they jumped over guys on their own list. That was OK before the merger announcement, since we were just another airline, but now that the two are merging how does it work? Do they get put back on furlough once the lists merge? If they are put back, who replaces them?

And remember, since the two airlines are operating as separate airlines for a couple of years, AWA has to deal with retirements, LOA's , medical leaves etc until the lists do merge and the USA guys are available to fill those spots. What should they do until then? Just work us harder without hiring anyone? That's not practical either.

Such question are what make for loooong nights in the negotiating room.

HAL

Last edited:
HAL said:
You have to remember that the airlines will run on two separate certificates for up to two years after the merger happens. AWA can't just dip into the USA furloughee pool and bring the guys over - it's still two separate airlines. If they did, they would have to be treated just like any new-hire and start at the bottom.

Now imagine the difficulties if AWA did bring in some USA furloughees. Where would they sit on the final list? Ahead of USA guys more senior to them that decided not to come over to AWA? ALPA wouldn't like it if they jumped over guys on their own list. That was OK before the merger announcement, since we were just another airline, but now that the two are merging how does it work? Do they get put back on furlough once the lists merge? If they are put back, who replaces them?

And remember, since the two airlines are operating as separate airlines for a couple of years, AWA has to deal with retirements, LOA's , medical leaves etc until the lists do merge and the USA guys are available to fill those spots. What should they do until then? Just work us harder without hiring anyone? That's not practical either.

Such question are what make for loooong nights in the negotiating room.

HAL

I didn't say it was going to be easy. It is actually going to be quite the mess for a long time.

Even though we are separate airlines running on separate certificates for 2-3 years, the seniority list integration will be well under way. Once the PID is set and the snapshot taken, bringing on new hires will only muddy the waters even more than they already are. Remember that the 150 day clock could start ticking as early as September/October!

Once the PID is set, those are the certified seniority lists that both merger committees and an arbitrator have to work with.

It really isn't that complicated to bring AAA furloughees over to the AWA side and train them as new hires. When they come on they could sign an agreement from ALPA and the Company stating that the PID was already set and their seniority integration will take place based on the PID lists. They can then choose to take the job or not. It beats the street.

I just want us to take care those on both lists before going to the street.

I stand by my statement that hiring off the street is completely unacceptable. Apparently some in the Union agree.

Short pilots?

Maybe it's just normal staffing issues, but last month I noticed there were several days where we ran out of reserves. I well exceeded the 77 hour reserve minimun. Don't get me wrong I like the flying as opposed to sitting around, but running out of reserves doesn't seem good.

We are definately short on pilots right now.

I've pretty much given up on the pilot to pilot trade board and swaping with open time (737). I get denied every time due to staffing shortages...or negative staffing...whatever they call it.

any idea how many are swimming in the pool so far?

I really like the idea of hiring off the street (that's where I am) but don't want to jump too fast

When did you interview? I'm in the pool as well. I interviewed in February and understand there are about 60 pilots swimming right now. The only thing I've heard from AWA is that they plan to hire from the pool in the fall sometime. We'll see what happens.

wingit said:
When did you interview? I'm in the pool as well. I interviewed in February and understand there are about 60 pilots swimming right now. The only thing I've heard from AWA is that they plan to hire from the pool in the fall sometime. We'll see what happens.

I wouldn't be it too much of a hurry to leave any job to go sit on the bottom of an AWA list. Regardless of what is said, cutbacks have to happen once the merger goes through.

I am in the pool as well- interviewed in march. Getting closer to the bottom of the list at my present employer- looks like the furloughs are going to stop after August (hopefully).

Trying to decide if I want to be at the bottom of ATA's list waiting to see if we ever recover fully and if SWA is going to keep us as a codeshare partner. Or do I want to be at the bottom of AWA's list dealing with all of the seniority integration issues and possibillity of getting furloughed after the merger is completed.

Latest resources

Back