Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

avantair.......union? Is it time.....again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From AINOnline

Preliminary Report: Tire suspect in Piaggio landing mishap

By Mary F. Silitch
May 01, 2007
Accidents

Piaggio Avanti, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., March 20, 2007–The Avanti, operated by fractional operator Avantair, was substantially damaged when landing at Hollywood International Airport, Fort Lauderdale, Fla. The ATP-rated first officer was flying the airplane, on approach to Runway 9R, at 120 knots.

On landing, the Avanti veered left and the first officer applied right rudder, then right brakes. The airplane veered right and the left main landing gear collapsed. The left main tire had separated, and fuel was leaking from the airplane. The tire had been deflated and there was a bald spot in the tread. The two occupants were not injured. The airplane, N128SL, is registered to Avantair of Bedford, Mass.

No mention of pilot error? Discuss....

Dr. Ian Malcolm (The Lost World: Jurassic Park): Oh, yeah. Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. Then later there's running and screaming.

Typical management response. No valid argument, just a quote from a fantasy/fiction movie. Pitiful to make such a frivolous comment on a subject as important as this, dealing with pilot's careers and job security. Something that affects their families, their lives, their future.
You should be ashamed, sitting there behind your desk in your St Pete office. Every time you make a comment in this thread it reinforces the need for Avantair pilots to have a union. Keep it up...you're really pissing everyone off!!

My thanks to Fs77 for the compliment and to BSlapped for sharing news. It baffles me as to why a workforce would choose a knee-jerk reaction management style over negotiated rules both sides must follow.

Just look at B19...:rolleyes: ...so full of FUD you want to say "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"...or post, as it is. He offers the pilots fiction and stretched to the max ridiculous suggestions. I think Avantair pilots would be far better served reading Confessions of a Union Buster by a real one who finally couldn't stomach what he was doing any longer. They would easily recognize tactics like those used by B19. Far too often the road to a written contract is littered with broken promises and injured careers.

Now some of you may think that I'm being a bit over-dramatic (B19 holds that top spot), but I suggest that there are two pilots (if not more) from Avantair that would say they feel as though they had been chewed up and spit out by management there. Actually, there are probably quite a few frac pilots that feel that way, unfortunately. It makes perfect sense that the pilotgroup would want to protect their careers; to state the obvious, aviators need the assurance of a written contract more than most workers. Without it the Avantair pilots are left to wonder who will be next. NJW

PS To Flts Ops pilots--this is the reason you banded together to stand up for your right to fair treatment. Good luck at the bargaining table.

Exactly, Mr. P! After all it's hard to argue with reality...

Correct me if I am wrong, but a lot of people were hired within the last year. It is my understanding that we have a one year training contract. How can so many people be quitting with this training contract in place???

They have only held one person to that training contract. Ever. I don't know how enforceable it is, but if they come after you, offer to pay $1/month, forever. They'll be out of business long before you would have to pay it off.

I was going to let the Avantair guys continue their discussion on unions while just reading to be informed. Until now. It just got silly with the dino comment.

Can you tell me, B19...what useful purpose did dinosaurs once have on this earth? I'm more curious what you think dinosaurs did in their time that made them "useful". Or is that just a contrived way to attempt to bash the unions. 'Cuz its a pretty sucky one, if that's all you can come up with.

Latest resources

Back