• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Avantair Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
im a two year fo and im going to clear 45 with a bit of overtime and straight three yr pay is 44k

im a two year fo and im going to clear 45 with a bit of overtime and straight three yr pay is 44k
You only have to suck it up for the first year or two according to hazmat which I take to mean you will upgrade your third year.

Correct. I have no clue what the upgrade time is at NetJets a captain there told me 10 years. So you are comparing fo pay at netjets to captains pay at AvantAir from year three until you upgrade at netjets.

Whenever somebody suggests that they Know when specific upgrades will take place, I wince. No one knows. If somebody asks, the only honest answer is that nobody knows. Any other answer is sunshine. The economy dictates, and we dance to the tune.

Last edited:
As an outsider, you can't compare NJA pay to Avantair for one reason. Time.

NJA started in the 60's. Avantair started in 2003.

I don't know when NJA signed their contract with the current rates, but I'm sure it took longer than the 6 years Avantair has been in business.

As an outsider, you can't compare NJA pay to Avantair for one reason. Time.

NJA started in the 60's. Avantair started in 2003.

I don't know when NJA signed their contract with the current rates, but I'm sure it took longer than the 6 years Avantair has been in business.

You can't compare the pay based on time in business true, but you can compare it based on the stated minimum qualifications for the job(2500tt, etc., same as the rest of the fracs). Based on the pay and the fact that "it has only been in business a short time" and it is "only a turboprop"(not my words), the mins should be around 500-1000 hours.

Correct. I have no clue what the upgrade time is at NetJets a captain there told me 10 years. So you are comparing fo pay at netjets to captains pay at AvantAir from year three until you upgrade at netjets.

I looked at the numbers, considering an f/o at AvantAir for 2 years followed by 8 years as captain, your base salary would be $732,000 over 10 years. At NetJets, considering 10 years as a f/o, your salary would be $697,000 over 10 years. (This is only comparing 7&7 schedules and base aircraft at NetJets, ie no >40,000 lbs catagory)

If you project an upgrade at NetJets for years 11 and 12 the total salary would be $947,000 and AvantAir is $936,000. (AvantAir only has a 12 year payscale so that is why I stopped at year 12)

If you look just at the numbers there isn't much of a difference. The big "IF" is will an AvantAir newhire upgrade in 3 years? NetJets went from ungrades in basic indoc to >4.5 years. (there has not been any upgrades in the past year so this number is growing daily) I hope AvantAir continues to have sucess, but if you are looking for the three year upgrade in my mind you have already missed the boat. This has been proven time and time again to be true. You need to look no further than the unfortunate situation 495 fellow pilots and there familes are dealing with through no fault of there own.

Again, I am not trying to bash anyone, but chasing upgrades, big contracts, new airframes ect. can be be good and also bad at the same time. If it were me looking into flying for AvantAir I would make sure I could make ends meet on f/o pay for 10 years and if an upgrade comes early that is just a bonus.

M. Williams

You can't compare the pay based on time in business true, but you can compare it based on the stated minimum qualifications for the job(2500tt, etc., same as the rest of the fracs).

You seem hung up on the published mins.

The reality is that there are so few pilot jobs out there, so few companies hiring, and so many pilots looking for work that it really doesn't matter what the mins are. That is why I tongue in cheek said you needed 5 shuttle missions and a landing in the Hudson.

The reality is that there are right now thousands of guys trying to get into a class of 4 at Avantair. If Avantair wanted to they could demand a 757 type with PIC time, time in the SR-71 or F-22 and a letter from a Congressmen who has personally flown with the applicant. With all of those requirements Avantair would still fill the class.

And the pay is 35K. The pay was only 30K when I came and I blew my entire first year pay on legal expenses (long story) and I am still very happy I came here instead of anywhere else.

I may drive over to see the next new hire class just so I can shake the hands of the best pilots in the world. Point is, relax on the whole 2500 TT posted min. It doesnt' really matter does it?

Last edited:
You seem hung up on the published mins.

The reality is that there are so few pilot jobs out there, so few companies hiring, and so many pilots looking for work that it really doesn't matter what the mins are. That is why I tongue in cheek said you needed 5 shuttle missions and a landing in the Hudson.

The reality is that there are right now thousands of guys trying to get into a class of 4 at Avantair. If Avantair wanted to they could demand a 757 type with PIC time, time in the SR-71 or F-22 and a letter from a Congressmen who has personally flown with the applicant. With all of those requirements Avantair would still fill the class.

And the pay is 35K. The pay was only 30K when I came and I blew my entire first year pay on legal expenses (long story) and I am still very happy I came here instead of anywhere else.

I may drive over to see the next new hire class just so I can shake the hands of the best pilots in the world. Point is, relax on the whole 2500 TT posted min. It doesnt' really matter does it?

Glass, believe me I get it it. It all has to do with what the market will bear, which isn't much at this point. I guess the point of my original post was in no way meant to bash AA, but to point out that the state of our industry and specifically our profession is very sad. Managers will use opportunities like this to justify lower pay, and we all eat it up because "that's just the way it is" etc. We all deserve more. It's not greed, it's just my opinion on what I know I have personally gone through financially and the sacrifices I've made. The return on investment just hasn't measured up IMO. I'm sure my story is very very similar to the other 494 furloughees at NJA and the rest at every other air carrier. It's just a big downer to be on the street and see another company hiring, but at such a low initial pay rate.

Latest resources

Back