• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Avantair Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If we paid 60K a year to start and then furloughed you after a year would that make you feel better?

NJA is putting pilots on the street. That is a fact. Avantair is hiring, that too is a fact. Why would you slam a company that is obviously doing better than yours?

You are the one who should be embarrassed. NJA kicks someone to the curb and you have the audacity to make snarkey comments about possible future employment for your fellow NJA brothers? How about you wish them well and hope they get whatever job they apply for? Too much for ya?

Wow, talk about jumping to conclusions.

First of all, I am one of my "fellow NJA brothers". I'll be jobless in a month.

Secondly, it wasn't meant as a slam to Avantair specifically, but more to the fact that we have ALL let our profession down for competing so fiercely for such low pay, instead of "just saying no".

Finally, NJA putting pilots on the street has zilch to do with how much they compensate the professionals that do the work, and everything to do with what happened to our economy, along with some poor management decisions. That also goes for the success that your company is having in the short term, capturing some market share from the small cabin segment which was the first segment to see mass sell-backs of shares after the downturn.

The pay at NJ is right where it should be for what we do and the amount of money that is changing hands back and forth. The numbers that didn't add up were not financial numbers, they were pilots vs. airplanes, period.

All I was saying is that it is a sad day when this profession (or any that requires this much education, dedication, money, blood, sweat, tears etc.) has reached the point where people are having to compete that fiercely, especially at this level (2500 hour mins etc.), for that kind of compensation. It's just not right and we should all be ashamed.

I think that there are those among us that would agree wholeheartedly.

No offense guys, but when things get THAT competitive for 35k a year, we should ALL be embarrassed!

well said.

Greed. Selfishness. Disgusting. You two ought to be ashamed of yourselves. Speak poorly about my company as much as you want. We're hiring, your company's putting people into an unexpected hardship.

Gloating about it on top of everything. dime line: I hope your family enjoys their holiday season while 500 other families suck it up. FlyAuburn: sorry for what's happenning to you. There's plenty of your co-workers' families who aren't going to as well... That sucks, big time. My heartfelt sympathy to all of you.

FlyAuburn, your short-sighted comment is exactly why this industry is stuck in the rut that it's in. $35K to start isn't embarassing, it's what's needed to get a relatively new company off the ground and stabile.

Yeah, start in the mid $60's, make money for a couple of years and get furloughed. Makes sense? Not to me...

Last edited:
Well...Continental pays $27K to start. You could try there..oh wait. They have over a hundred on furlough too.

Good luck. Too bad Avantair sucks too much for you. There must be some job out there that will start you at 60K. Let us know what you find.

It's not pilots driving down wages it’s basic supply and demand. In good times, Avantair will have to give raises or suffer perpetual turnover and vice versa.

I agree that having 6000+ hrs turbine PIC, an internal rec from former students, a CMH, and an LOR from the Commandant of the Marine Corps is excessive for an entry-level job but that is what the market dictates. BTW... my app is in with Avantair as well.

And that is my point. Avantair is NOT an entry level job. I came here with 1,000 plus jet PIC and over 5K TT. Maybe it wAs once, but no more. Avantair is a destination job and if you do not agree then do not apply. As I pointed out, our first year pay is above CAL and they are a major.

To those furloughed, good luck. I mean that.

Yeah, start in the mid $60's, make money for a couple of years and get furloughed. Makes sense? Not to me...

Again you are not quite getting the point. NetJets didn't ( and wouldn't have) furlough(ed) because they were paying new F/Os 60k a year. They furloughed because they were huge and the economy tanked and the market could no longer bear it's size and growth. If the market could still bear 3300 pilots or whatever the number was, then paying F/Os 60k a year would not have put a dent in it.

Why people still think we furloughed because we pay "too much" is still beyond me. It's that kind of thinking that I'm talking about that has/is/will continue to bring the profession down. I'm sorry but when you can make more to start driving a truck than flying an airplane (the skill and education don't even come close in matching up) then something is VERY wrong. Something is even more wrong when pilots think that it is ok because they need to "help grow the business".

The "35k a year so my company can grow" crap is straight from management. A more respectable starting salary might be 45k+, and would be easily doable even in the current market.

My situation sucks, but I'll be damned if I am going to do the same job I did at NJA for 60k (more like 80 if you factor in all the extras) for 35k a year. It was already hard not seeing my family half of the year, but it's down right not even worth it at that pay.

Last edited:
Well...Continental pays $27K to start. You could try there..oh wait. They have over a hundred on furlough too.

Good luck. Too bad Avantair sucks too much for you. There must be some job out there that will start you at 60K. Let us know what you find.

Glass, I never said Avantair sucks. Please don't put words in my mouth. I think you guys definitely have a good thing going. I just completely disagree with the starting salary. And I wouldn't try Continental either for the very same reason, but I'm not sure that number is accurate. I'll have to ask my friends that work there.

You guys are basically flying jet equivalent airplanes doing the exact same job. You (and even your new hires) should be compensated accordingly.

It's great that your company is hiring. That is a good sign for the industry as a whole.

It's just my personal opinion that 35k/year is NOT ok for a fractional pilot new hire when the stated minimums are 2500+ hours and the "competitive" minimums are much higher.

Maybe if the minimums were 500 hours like the regionals, and Avantair didn't care about turnover or it becoming simply a stepping stone to a better paying job, I would understand the pay. That is the problem NJA had and the reason why there was an IBB.

Again, just my personal opinion.

Last edited:
Avant Air has a nitch...Nitch companies have always done well in downturns.. NJ is a huge company with massive market share... even the slightest hiccup would require an action..nothing personal to pilots, but cutting costs is cutting costs and the guy he brought in did it somewhere else..Hatchet men enjoy their jobs. they thrive on misery... things are turning around so maybe it won't be bad. AA's business model probably wouldn't support higher pay..it's still a Tprop under 12,500. nothing wrong with that... all the best!

Guys don't be silly. 5 year pay at AvantAir is comparable to netjets due to the upgrade times. Yes you have to suck it up in the first year or two but that is by design. It is a terrific place to work and you are downright crazy if you have the oportunity to pass it up. Guys who have been here 7 years are bringing home 6 figures this stuff about pay is just wrong. The model works you have to earn it though it is not handed to you

Guys don't be silly. 5 year pay at AvantAir is comparable to netjets due to the upgrade times. Yes you have to suck it up in the first year or two but that is by design. It is a terrific place to work and you are downright crazy if you have the oportunity to pass it up. Guys who have been here 7 years are bringing home 6 figures this stuff about pay is just wrong. The model works you have to earn it though it is not handed to you

From AirlinePilotCentral:

pay_avantair2008.gif

Now obviously I don't work at AA, but I do work (for now) at NJA and the numbers on this site for us are dead on. Also, I don't know what the upgrade times are at AA, but I would venture a guess that in the current economy they are stretching out longer than they have been in the past.

I see that a 5 year F/O makes 43,000? Not terrible but that is after 5 years! Still doesn't seem right....

Somebody made an argument that they were "only" turboprops etc. I disagree with that mentality. I have seen the airplane and the numbers on it's capabilities and it is basically a jet. Also, if you crash the thing the people get just as dead as in a Beechjunk.

All I have been saying is that for 2500 hour mins and 5000 competitive, just to get in the door, the first year pay should reflect that experience level. That is the only point I'm trying to make.

NJA finally figured that out and so did the other fracs. I'm sure AA management is using the economy and the growth factor as a reason to keep F/O pay low, but that doesn't make it right.

Latest resources

Back